Background Image

Which Class (pole Version 2)

Discussion in 'Eldar' started by Noctifer, Dec 15, 2013.

?

Which of the following would you play as your main (that is not in yet)

1. Warlock would be my main no matter what!

28 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Swooping Hawks

15 vote(s)
    11.7%
  3. Fire Dragons

14 vote(s)
    10.9%
  4. Striking Scorpions

31 vote(s)
    24.2%
  5. Banshees

26 vote(s)
    20.3%
  6. Warp Spiders

59 vote(s)
    46.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Noctifer Noctifer Well-Known Member

Before you answer the pole, please read this
    This question has been asked in a few different places, such as:

http://forum.eternalcrusade.com/threads/so-which-class.3291/page-13#post-144261

http://forum.eternalcrusade.com/threads/aspect-warriors-what-path-will-u-take.549/

But I wanted to do a new take on it (since at the time of this post over 50% planned to play warlocks, and I couldn't add a pole as a regular response)

So I was curious about what we'd suggest as the 4th class (assuming only 4, and obviously non-binding to the devs) from two perspectives:
    1) What would entice enough people away from warlocks so that class doesn't get over-saturated
    2) What is a critical value-add to make sure the Eldar faction is competitive (given how specialized every aspect is, and how the Eldar have to respond to the existing classes / vehicles of the opposition).

(For the rest, please correct what I say, this isn't a primary army for me and I have't played the latest edition)
    To date, the confirmed available are:
    Dire Avengers - (backbone unit) - anti-squad (ranged)
    Dark Reapers - (ranged, high damage, low rate of fire) - ranged anti-armor / anti-vehicle
    Warlocks - Support of other units, psy option, Wraithguards

The other common aspects are:
    Warp-Spiders - (mobile teleporting, short-range, high penetration, low rof) anti-vehicle / anti heavy armor / anti hero
    Fire Dragons - (armored but slower, short-range, high penetration, low rof) anti-vehicle / anti heavy armor
    Howling Banshees - (mobile running, close combat, low strength, awesome) anti squads
    Striking Scorpions - (armored but slower, close combat) anti squads

Swooping Hawks - (mobile jumping, low damage) - squad harassment
    Rangers - (stealthy, long range snipers, glass cannons) - anti-hero, stealth unit

So it sounds like so far what is covered is:
    Ranged Anti-Vehicle, Anti-Armor General Cover-fire, Psy Support

What is missing is:
    Close-Combat, High-Mobility (jump packs / teleport), Stealth (don't think the opponents have it yet either), Tanks (the class type, not the vehicle)

(Sorry that Rangers aren't on the pole, limited possible response allowed and none of the other races have their sneaks in, so unlikely they would be an opening race imho)
    (If your main would be a Dark Reaper or Dire Avenger feel free to vote, or just vote for what else you'd *consider* as a main)
  2. Warmaster Nate Warmaster_Nate Well-Known Member

I can only imagine that Fire Dragons will be skipped as Dark Reapers upgraded with Starshot Missile wargear and Wraithguard complements can both hurt armor reasonably well. Not to mention that Hawks and Spiders have haywire grenades making them both able to ding heavy armor.

Ultimately what this boils down to is the old question of what assault and jump-infantry aspects do we want that has echoed the forums for a while. Banshees v Scorpions and Hawks v Spiders. The image release in the newsletter only showed two actual core classes (Wraithguard complement and Guardian placeholder :/) which artfully skirted the issue, indicating that the devs don't even know what they want yet.

Truthfully, nothing is going to discourage there being a disproportion of Warlocks without in-game reasoning like a class cap (which would suck). The idea of 'Farseers' has simply been romanticized all too much by the lore.

As a side note: it's spelled poll, not pole. ;)
    Hosk and IdranelLives like this.
  3. Noctifer Noctifer Well-Known Member

Deep! And can't change it. Grr let's pretend I can blame the poll on tiny iPad font nod solar flares ><

Agreed on the Dragons (often overlooked, slow compared to Eldar expectations)

I think Banshees would beat out Scorpions easily (also more romanticized, faster)

Hawks vs Spiders is harder.. Spiders provide a more different play experience from other races, and can handle the heavier SM and CSM armor, but Hawks provide a match for what the other races get - flight. Spiders are more iconic in DoW vids, while Hawks are more iconic in the books. I enjoy novelty so between Hawks and Spiders I'd take Spiders myself

Warlocks I think will start as more people's main but get quickly balanced out. They are a support class and typically there is a more limited player base playing support (unless the game balance gets messed up and the support class has some trick that makes it offensive)
  4. Joram Joram Well-Known Member

Spiders no doubt, "blinking" murdering people with my dual death spinners, oh you got at melee range? cute, take my 2 powerblades in the chest pls.

I will say Banshees are anti heavy infantry (power weapons) and Scorpions are infiltration and anti light infantry.
    Beast and Quothe like this.
  5. For Melee i'm guessing it will be ether striking scorpions or banshees, and i'm fine with ether one.
  6. IdranelLives IdranelLives Well-Known Member

Scorpions and Hawks.
    Swooping Hawks are pretty unrepresented anywhere in gaming, so I think they'd be worth a turn. Spiders are cool too, so neither option is a loser.

I heard it once said you know you love the Eldar when you like Striking Scorpions, that when it clicks how sulking around in heavy armor armed with psychically activated face-lasers and chainsaws is excellent you know you've arrived.
    Scorpions also give Eldar a badly needed Tank role even without stealth. Mandiblasters and chain weapons aren't ideal for burst damage, but as steady aggravation goes they're a strong sell.

Maybe stealth functions could be proximity limited? That is, working until medium range (5-6secs of travel) to the target is gained? Rangers wouldn't be much hampered by that limitation, but Rangers are glass to begin with.

Anyway, same point different topic: lots of Banshees, and they're fine, but equal gender representation* counts for more in regard to any Eldar unit, and Scorpions could use a turn.

*Yes, there are Manshees. :D
    It's complicated. Ish.
    Noctifer likes this.
  7. IdranelLives IdranelLives Well-Known Member

It helps that thus far Farseers have been unique in having faces and for have been women in command roles.

See also the various articles and arguments on dehumanizing people one sets out to kill.
  8. Nem Nem Subordinate

What about autarchs?
  9. Warmaster Nate Warmaster_Nate Well-Known Member

What about them?

IdranelLives is discussing the Dawn of War series, where the only notable Autarch is Kayleth and her character is quite flat. Farseers have been the only real Eldar characters in the series before DoWII: Retribution, so Kayleth was the exception, not the rule, given no other games really present the Eldar well if at all.

I like Autarchs, although I never use them on the TT because Farseers are just more practical. I'd rather go down the trees to becoming an Autarch rather than Farseer if I find myself in a position of command in EC. Lore-wise, Farseers are supposed to be command support, not command, so that's just something that has arisen because of just how lore-cool Farseers are.
  10. r3dman Member

I'm going Warp Spider myself. Love having the teleportation pack + high dmg.

Also it would be incredibly awesome to have Harlequins for the Eldar, but i don't think it would work.