Background Image

What Should Our 5th Craftworld Option Be?

Discussion in 'Eldar' started by GrimLord, Dec 5, 2013.

?

5th Craftworld

1. Alaitoc

59.5%
  2. Yme-Loc

8.4%
  3. Iybraesiil

4.6%
  4. Altansar

17.6%
  5. Lugganath

9.9%
  1. Estera Estera Active Member

I too was surprised to see Iyanden as one of the first four, but given the presence of PvE Tyranids it makes sense to have a Craftworld in the mix who despises them instead of yet another sub faction who's out to get the Imperium (Alaitoc). I'm glad for this because it helps the Eldar come off as more their own protagonists than just another antagonist of the Imperium.

Plus, since pretty much the dawn of 40K, Iyanden has been neglected by GW and the gaming community. Of all the armies at my local bunker, Iyanden is one of the few I have never seen played. Maybe now that they're getting more attention, it will set a precedence for GW to stop focusing so much on the Ultramarines...

I've been wondering about this myself. Do you have any information that hints at a date in which EC will take place?
  2. I voted for Alaitoc, i am not fan of them but i like how they do things.
  3. Joram Joram Well-Known Member

IvanM (narrative designer) said that IF will be hard to place in Arkhona because of the time of the crusade, the only time other than 999.M41 (and nobody could be on Arkhona at that time lol) that the IF is deployed on mase is in 830.M41, 2/3 of the IF is deployed on the Tyros Gulf at that time.

I forgot to mention, at that time Illic Nightspear and a force from Alaitoc ambush the IF :D
  4. Luciasar Luciasar Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but I think this is mostly to blame on their hideous 80s color scheme. Think about it. If the ghost warriors of Iyanden were in a mystic white wraithbone, or a moody black-based scheme like Ulthwe, don't you think we'd see more of them around? But noooo, they have to be in that ridiculous yellow and blue. Nobody wants to field an army of power rangers, no matter how epic the lore behind them is.
    BlackLotus, Softman and Casavay like this.
  5. Estera Estera Active Member

Actually I rather agree. I'm not crazy about their default color scheme, but with the right shading it can look just as good as anything else.
  6. Luciasar Luciasar Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I agree with you there, not at the level most people are capable of painting (and even then). Plus, yellow is a horrible, horrible color when you're painting miniatures. It mixes poorly, layers poorly, loves to turn bright green if your brush has so much as 3 leftover molecules of blue on it, and is generally a pain in the butt. I don't blame people for avoiding it.
    Dakka-Face likes this.
  7. Dakka Face Dakka-Face Subordinate

Speak for yourself.

"Eldrad, Slaanesh has escaped. Recruit a team of Exarchs with attitude."
    Mngwa and Estera like this.
  8. Estera Estera Active Member

Hmm, I've used a few different shades of yellow on several models and I haven't run into this issue. I can see how it would be true though.
  9. Saraph Midas Casavay Well-Known Member

If I'm honest, the colour schemes are the reasons I don't particularly like Iyanden and Alaitoc.
    While I would love to see Yme-Loc or Lugganath, I think it's going to be Alaitoc. bE picking any CW over Alaitoc here would be like them going 'Ultramarines-Blood Angels-Space Wolves-Dark Angels-Carcharodons' with the SM chapters.
  10. Luciasar Luciasar Well-Known Member

Yeah, I will never understand why they gave the ranger craftworld that color scheme. It's effectively the same as Iyanden, which is already the least popular, and then on top of that it completely clashes with the commando/sniper aesthetic. "Yeah, I've got this awesome active camo cloak that hides my every move, but I think I'll go ruin it with a bunch of garish blue and yellow that occurs nowhere in nature."

It's a shame that the color schemes haven't been allowed to evolve past the primary colors of 2nd edition after all these years. Iyanden and Alaitoc are just going to keep suffering until they do.
    BlackLotus and Casavay like this.