Background Image

What if EC had had a different financial model?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zael, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Zael Zael Well-Known Member

Here's what Nathan sold us:
    * one game, paid for with a one-time payment
    * regular updates
    * all the new content that will come from now until forever will be for free

It seemed to me like a horrible business-model back then and it's still a horrible business-model.

* Let's assume, bE's plan was to make EC last for 5+ years, with major updates once a year or so. That means, all of the running costs from now until the death of the game must be covered by that one one-time payment of the player. If a player buys this game for $50, bE must make ends meet for the next 5+ years with those $50.

* What happens, when the devs run out of money? They cannot ask the players for money. They need FRESH players. The entire business-modell is based on the premise that there is an endless supply of customers willing to buy your product.
    If customers refuse to buy your product because of bad reviews, you are dead.
    If customers refuse to buy your product because there are better games, you are dead.

* So, the business-modell of EC says that they need a permanent influx of new customers. PAYING customers.
    So, what do they do?
    They handed out free game-keys and free RTCs during Alpha like there was no tomorrow.
    And then they disincentiviced it even more for players to buy the game, by offering 90% of the half-finished game for free, thinking that players would be willing to pay the full price for a full half-finished game.

To repeat: What EC needs to survive is paying customers, and bE is giving away the game for free.

Now, I'm not working in finance, but...
    1. Covering long-term costs with short-term income is stupid.
    2. Giving something away for free when you need the money from sales is stupid.
    3. Anybody working in marketing will tell you that if you want customers to value your product, you have to make your product seem of high value. If you give your product away for free, you are subconsciously telling your customers that your product is worthless.

What if EC had used a subscription-model?

Or if they had charged extra for new content? There is no incentive for bE to invest into EC because they will have to give all of the added value away for free to the players. However, if EC still had the option to charge players for content, bE could invest the money from selling current content into developing the next content.

-----------------------------
    By my count, that's now 4 areas where bE and its devs have proven that their incompetence is at fault for EC's demise:

- They don't know what they are doing in terms of finances or marketing.

- They don't know that a game based on existing canon needs game-mechanics that reflect that canon.

- They don't know that balancing is nothing more than a mathematical optimization problem and that during optimization you can end up in a "local minimum", meaning you can balance the game only up to a certain maximum degree, and that if you want to make it more balanced, it could be necessary to move to a different "local minimum" (which is hopefully deeper/more balanced) by trying out radical new measures you haven't tried before .

- They don't know how to plan ahead, because if you want to add radically different game-content in the future (like background-story, campaigns, missions, PvPvE ...), you have to take this into account now, or else you will need massive re-coding of core parts of your game at a time when everything is supposed to be set in stone already.
  2. Krayt Krayt Preacher

What if you did yourself a favor and let the game die and moved on ?
    Katitof, Neni and Atsidas like this.
  3. Lord Ravagerx Deadknight Well-Known Member

time to move on dude, they don't care anymore

moderators are gone

players are gone

they lie move on don't buy another BE game

pathfinder and dragon quest are good games waiting for new assassin creed and necromunda

i hope they add sister sororitas, arbites, gene stealer cult and space marine )more customization

BE devs are dumb stupid, why do you think no one buy the game because it's broken

and they keep lying that they need marketing (no one want's to buy a broken or unfinish game)

1. you can't have a good background story, if your not even there (battle in that area or map)
    2. no maintenance even if they add new things game is still broken (that why in the past i don't even care if they don't add anything aslong as the game run smoothly)
    3. map designer is needed (game is not table top and not quake champion or even overwatch)
    the game is war
    4. do you know why people paint their model with passion (for dumb idiots that means customization)and they don't even have that (basic warhammer game)
    LOBOTRONUS likes this.
  4. In the latest update they removed players. Get over it.
  5. Zael Zael Well-Known Member

It's the disconnect that vexes me.
    All these promises, all this hype, all this enthusiasm that the devs fed us and that Nathan still has not stopped feeding us.
    And at the same time the devs are absolutely shockingly and catastrophically incompetent to a degree that they managed to do everything wrong during game-development that possibly could be done wrong.

The sooner this game dies, the sooner somebody else can give this idea a new try.

By my calculations, the daily maximum of players being in-game at the same time will drop to 100 in mid-to-late 2019. We are already at 150.
    https://steamdb.info/app/375230/graphs/
    And MW5 is coming out in 2019.
    Even if bE WOULD try to keep EC alive at this point, it would already be too late.
  6. Lord Ravagerx Deadknight Well-Known Member

really in my timeline zero players

1 in garrison that was sad
  7. Best move on, since announcement it has always been the same, more broken promises.

Good job bE
    HAIL NATHAN.
    LOBOTRONUS likes this.
  8. Catnium Catnium Well-Known Member

meh..
    Can't say I am as pissed about this as I am about Disney raping Starwars to death.
  9. Teef Trooper909 Recruit

Nobody will try this type of 40k game again for a long time thanks to bE.Shit nobody will try an RTS again either thanks to Relic (not that DOW3 was an RTS) .
    40k for gaming is dead,unless you like that ancient hex based shit from the 90s they keep making.Don't get me wrong I liked hex based games in the 90s but its fucking 2018.
  10. Catnium Catnium Well-Known Member

Well at least we are getting a diablo 3 warhammer fantasy game that looks kinda ok.