Background Image

Upcoming JPAs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fiendly, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Nic NicholaiPestot Well-Known Member

Right from when they were first introduced in alpha the devs stated that regardless of the fluff, JPA equivalents in eternal crusade are supposed to be ambush attackers that jump in with a stun + rear attack, get a kill and then GTFO.

These changes look like they will set them back to how they originally played before the crazy melee-momentum buff back in alpha (when you had to rely on your landing stun to get kills).
    Gravewalker likes this.
  2. BaronXIII Arkhona Vanguard

Because UAT itself is hypothetical...
  3. Saeritan Saeritan Arkhona Vanguard

JPAs have been doing fine even with the changes during the UAT playtests I've been a part of.

They now die more easily when they're caught in the open, but still cause chaos and are plenty killy when they flank, attack from unexpected angles, or just manage to close distance.
    Gravewalker and Dreadspectre like this.
  4. Redfingers Recruit

If they have rolled out a patch on UAT, that means they have gone past the design stage, coded the changes into existence and created an actual tangible build for testing purposes, then distributed it for beta testing. That is a bit beyond hypothetical.

Brent stated on Twitch just a few months ago that they were intended to be the hard counter to braced HBs. With fortress maps being designed with a single entrance channel for attackers, multiple balconies and crossfire locations, I don't see how that's going to be surmountable with squishy JPAs.

They've already redesigned all the maps to favor ranged, and they're nerfing power weapons, and they're buffing the base penetration on boltguns.

Why on top of this do they have to nerf JPA health?

Ranged are already comprising the majority of all live kills.
  5. Antheus Fiendly Confessor

I mean no offense to you, but if you like to, you can add me in friends in steam, I can link you my steam profile in private, and you try to kill me with your fist JPA with any class I play saved the Devastator archetypes. Fist is the easiest thing to bring down if you know what you do - and it's even easier to kill them on UAT. Sure it's effective against new players, but an experienced one will just eat your fist.

Also JPs are probably the less played class over the whole game, as I said, it's not rare I'm the only JP player in my team, and enemy team has only one JP player, maybe it's only my personnal experience, but I'm yet to be proved wrong. But I guess the only way to have us agree on one of our statement would be official stats, till then it's only specualtions based on our experiences.
  6. BaronXIII Arkhona Vanguard

Except for the fact they're constantly changing shit around on UAT, because nothing is set in stone. I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make here though. I just counter pointed his argument that JPA numbers were down, and were already in a sad state. Which they aren't, on both accounts. As for the changes upcoming, I said who knows because literally no one does, because it's a physical impossibility. So again, I really have no idea what point you're trying to make man. Also, if it matters, I checked the UAT client already, but you don't expect me to make concrete arguments based on a constantly changing set of mechanics and weapon stats right? JPAs are getting change, that's the only definite outcome, but to imagine they're going to be useless, when literally every class is being changed and mechanics are being shuffled around...who can even make that call. This isn't like they're changing one set of things, on only the JPA. They're literally changing the entire game balance and meta around on there, no definitive answers can really be made.
  7. Razmirth Razmirth Subordinate

I think the new changes are appropriate. You wanna take a power fist and one hit in melee? Fantastic, but now you can't jump 4 times and have the tankiness of a shied bro (incorporating jumps can disrupt enemy fire, therefore increasing your survival).

You wanna be Tanky and lots of armor? All yours, but you have to sacrifice your ability to power fist everything. I don't even know what the JPA changes are, but fret not. Us eldar will be more squishy than ever, we will die in one hit even without a powerfist, so no need to take them except tank hunting vs us now!!

so now you will have to get used to being a little less tanky if you don't load out that way. You guys will all adapt. Just as we will.
  8. Redfingers Recruit

Dude, these changes have stayed through multiple patches on UAT, and even if they weren't, the fact that they rolled out a UAT build with these changes shows that it passed through their design phase into the implementation and testing phase.

This isn't like a guess I'm arguing against, this is actively what their design team wants to implement and test for an eventual live build. And the fact that the JPA EHP nerf has persisted through numerous UAT builds shows this is clearly what their design team intends. They're even doing playtests now with live players, I've actually played on one of them. So it's even persisting through player playtesting over the course of 2 weeks now.
  9. BaronXIII Arkhona Vanguard

I..don't really need to duel you...as it has nothing to do with what I was saying. Power Fists and Klaws are not weak melee weapons, especially on a class like the JPA. They have their niche like everything else.

So...your anecdotal evidence, is more valid, than an entire thread's amount of anecdotal evidence telling you otherwise? Does that make sense to you?
    Atsidas likes this.
  10. BaronXIII Arkhona Vanguard

So how many 30 vs. 30 matches are constantly going on in the UAT server then? We need a substantial amount of data if we're going to say the JPA is useless compared to the other classes in "real-life" active battles. I would hope there's more than one or two actual battles with substantial players that we're basing all this on. Otherwise, we're just theorycrafting, which is hypothetical.