Background Image

Start Collecting "Blood Angels"

Discussion in 'Table Top' started by Nahsti_Rogue, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Yo yo yo wasssuuppppp,

So yesterday I went into a GW store and bought a BA starter set because I wanted it but also shovelled all my money into the paints as well all up it cost me $285 AUD so I didn't get my codex's etc and I have no idea how to setup this army to reach anywhere near 500 points and I have no real idea how much the Captain in T-Armour is actually worth so I need some help I haven't played since 5th Edition, the contents are:

x1 Captain in Terminator armour
    x10 Tactical Marines
    x1 Baal Predator

the general idea is pack them with as much stuff as they can take and match it as much as possible in their look when I put them together

e.g Tac marine with a plasma gun upgrade would be holding a plasma gun.

The box comes with its own formation that I've read isn't that great anyway so if I don't want to play the formation can I just split the tacs into groups of 5? One more melee one more range?
  2. I. Macha jassz Firebrand

Hi mate,

I'm in the same boat as you, haven't played since start of 5th edition. I've been putting together an army with about 2000+ points so far of space marines. Idk how people put up with AUS GW prices they're fucking crazy, so I buy mine from the UK or Poland as it's much cheaper. The money I save then goes into paints/brushes/whatever. The Horus Heresy box sets are also great value (I can find them for under $200 online):

Betrayal at Calth: 30 marines, 2 HQ, Contemptor Dreadnought, 5 Terminators
    Burning of Prospero: 30 Marines, 2 HQ, 5 Terminators, 5 Sisters of Silence, 5 Legio Custodes (great for allies)

With the weapon options, buy some tiny disc magnets from eBay and magnetise the wrist of your marine so you can swap out plasma for melta/flamer when needed. I've also magnetised my venerable dread and contemptor so I have all the weapon options (about 5-7 options total).

Tac squads are terrible in melee, so it's best to split into 2x 5 man squads, the heavy weapon team stays back for supporting fire and the other for capping objectives.

Hope this helps.
  3. Judasilfarion Silfarion Drill Abbott

Magnetizing your models is always a great way to save money, assuming you have the chops for it
  4. I. Macha jassz Firebrand

Definitely, I buy a venerable dread and I can use it as a regular, venerable and ironclad dread. Just need to buy the seige drills seperately. It can be tricky at first, but it's very simple once you work out a suitable method. Just make sure the polarity for each weapon is consistent with the rest...
  5. Well since the formation is made of the contents of the box is it worth putting a power fist on the captain? just in case they get close enough to tank? I know it's not the best but I just want to play this formation to get the gears rolling again the only thing I'll probably keep is the terminator captain to just put him into a squad as a normal terminator and maybe the baal pred so I won't be magnetising the tacticals
  6. Start Collecting: Blood Angels Created for: 7th Edition 40K

This is what I have added up to run for this small army to get me back into the game. hope it helps someone

ARMY TOTAL COST - 500 points

CAPTAIN IN TERMINATOR ARMOUR: - 140 points total

Captain Unit - 90 points
    Terminator Armour - 30 points
    Thunder Hammer - 15 points
    Storm Bolter - 5 points
    Crown Angelic - RELIC - added when needed add 10 points
    Iron Halo - 0 points 4+ Invul

TACTICAL SQUAD 1: - 120 total

Squad - 70 points

Veteran Sergeant Upgrade - 10 points
    Veteran Sergeant: Melta bombs - 5 points
    Veteran Sergeant: Power Sword - 15 points
    Vet Serge Combi-plasma upgrade - 10 points
    Veteran Sergeant: Teleport Home - 10 points

TACTICAL SQUAD 2: - 120 total

Squad - 70 points

Veteran Sergeant Upgrade - 10 points
    Veteran Sergeant: Power Fist - 25 points
    Veteran Sergeant: Bolt Pistol - 0 points

Tactical: Plasma Gun upgrade - 15 points

BAAL PREDATOR: - 120 points total

Twin-link Assault Cannon - 0 points
    Overcharged Engines - 0 points
    Searchlight - 0 points
    Smoke Launchers - 0 points
    Storm Bolter - 5 points
  7. Brother Bardiel Brother-Bardiel Well-Known Member

DON'T BUY A NEW CODEX RIGHT NOW!

We got a new edition of rules coming this summer were its a real possibility that all codices will be made invalid.

So hold off on buying a new codex yeah.
    Vaanes likes this.
  8. I probably still will since I have a job I can just buy one after, I'd prefer to have to relearn a few rules in a few months rather than have to wait months to start playing again. But I have access to the PDF file ones on the internet for now
  9. Cydonia Cydonia Well-Known Member

The problem I have with that Captain mini is he doesn't have a storm shield. Even then I'd personally favor a Librarian over a beat stick in small games. But if you don't want to fork out for a Librarian, Captain is okay.

On the power fist sergeant, take a bolter over a bolt pistol (if you could be bothered to model it that way), you aren't going to get +1 attack for having the pistol, so may as well keep the bolter to shoot as far as the other guys.