Background Image

So You're The Squad Leader.....

Discussion in 'New Player Tips & Training' started by Kaptin_Pokkets, May 26, 2017.

1. Lootmasta Kaptin_Pokkets Arkhona Vanguard

And you don't really know WTF that actually means. One thing that many new players do not understand is how the mechanics of the Squad Leader work, even though the system itself is pretty basic. Being a Squad Leader can offer your squadmates and yourself HUGE bonuses to the XP you earn in a match, but ONLY if you use your ability. If you do not use it, you are literally wasting Experience Points for everyone and nobody likes that.

Essentially, your function is all based on the 'Q' button. When you target an area with your Reticule/Aiming Dot and hold 'Q', the point will be marked on the Map and your squadmates will see an Indicator showing where you have ordered your squad to go. Should you target a Capture Point and hold 'Q', that point will be marked and your character will order the squad to attack/defend it.

This area that you have marked essentially creates a "Bonus XP" aura for the area you have marked. All kills and other sundry actions done within this area will now earn Bonus XP for your squadmates, AND give you XP as your squad is following your orders. As an alternative, you can mark YOURSELF as a moving aura by hitting the buttons V, 3, 1 in order. This calls a Rally Point on yourself so your squad can converge on you, and the XP aura will move with you. This way you have a moving Bonus XP aura that goes with you, encouraging your squadmates to stick by your side.

Being the squad leader gives you the ability to coordinate with your squadmates without ever actually having to type anything out or speak via the Voice Chat. It is HIGHLY useful, especially if you're the anti-social type. So if you find yourself as the Squad Leader, test out that 'Q' button and you'll see that Bonus XP just start rolling in.

Good luck out there, and may Da WAAAAAGH! be with you!
  2. Xengard Xengard Subordinate

Also, remember that squad leaders get a banner that benefits you and nearby allies. This can be a %damage mitigation, %damage increase, %spread decrease (more accuracy),...
    So that's another thing to consider when you are a squad leader. People under your command will go to the marked point, so try to stay together and benefit from both XP and buffs!
  3. Chuffy Chuffster Deacon

@Kaptin_Pokkets guide is very good.

Sometimes the Squad Leader role can be a bit overwhelming if you are new. If you don't want to squad lead, but have been assigned squad leader PRESS ESCAPE and select CHANGE SQUAD to join another squad with players in. Watching other players Squad Lead in game can give you a good idea of what is expected and the guide above will make even more sense.

Go in force, always be flanking and more DAKKA is always better.
    Kaptin_Pokkets likes this.
  4. designating a point with q isn't always the best option, sometimes you want to use the leader voice command to set yourself as a rally point, it really depends on how close everybody is to the point.
  5. yeh but who of the F2P will actually jump onto the forums to read this
  6. Chuffy Chuffster Deacon

Simple answer: Players that want to get better.
  7. Not that I think any less of new players, I feel low level characters shouldn't be able to become squad leader in random squads with much higher ranked players in the squads.

If we form our own new squad that's different as I'm sure there are experienced players that do just that on their alt characters.
  8. Lootmasta Kaptin_Pokkets Arkhona Vanguard

They probably do. And yes having a higher Ranked character as the squad leader makes more sense than the current system. The devs have of course been informed, and they of course have given the half-hearted reply that it's acknowledged and will be worked on at some point.
    Njord-Halfhand likes this.
  9. Thanks. Was stuck with Squad Leader in 2 games now, still learning the basics like melee, fire fight and why I am alwasy dead.
    I am sure every one will be more happy if I use "Q" in the future (or give up on the responsibliy.... no... I am one of the Emperors chousen!)
  10. Nasher Nasher Firebrand

TL; DR version: at any time, mark the point you want your squad to attack/defend by aiming it and holding the Q key