Background Image

"Roll Exploit" Bans - Clarification

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wartortle, Sep 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turturibus Wartortle New Member

Hi there, according to the most recent news post on Steam, I noticed that it is possible to get banned for using "the roll exploit".
    After looking through the forums, forgive me, for I still require clarification on how this is going to work. Delete this thread and point me in the right direction if there's a clear answer somewhere, please.

Steam article:
    https://steamcommunity.com/games/375230/announcements/detail/1685924024166551287

I have a few questions that I will list for clarity, with my own thoughts following on where I am confused:

1. What is the roll exploit?
    I assume this is commonly known as 'Rollex' in EC language - which is the use of crouching to reduce speed penalties for roll recovery? Have I understood this correctly? I asked a fellow player earlier today for what the roll exploit was and I was shocked to discover that I had likely misinterpreted the whole thing entirely!

My initial understanding was that the exploit was simply the use of i-frames provided by rolling in silly circumstances, such as rolling through heavy weapon fire (literally through it) and surviving explosions simply by the grace of being temporarily invincible, not by dodging said explosion. Though it has its faults, I understood this to be an intentional game mechanic.

I'm still unsure though, please illuminate me. Rollex = i-frames during roll, OR Rollex = reducing roll recovery time through crouching. Which is it?

2. Is this a problem with all factions, or a particular few/one?
    I've been called "rollex scum" before - or words to that effect, and I usually play LSM so I assume LSM + CSM are effected by this exploit at least.

3. How can you identify malicious use?
    If I have understood the definition of the roll exploit correctly, how do we police the use of something that can be so easily and unwittingly triggered? I crouch-shoot very often, and therefore I probably crouch-roll very often too. I was unaware that this was me unintentionally using an exploit if so.

Should I be banned? I don't think so (of course I would say that, but please have mercy on my soul).

4. How are bans carried out? What proof is required?
    "Intentionally and repeatedly abusing something is entirely different, and you will be banned if someone reports you" - quote from the update article. I assume that the developers would naturally ask for proof first before a ban - that's the obvious way of doing these things.

I would however like this to be in writing, and explained properly rather than "you will be banned if someone reports you". What if an angry player sees that you roll a lot and reports you for it, even though you were playing the game as organically as you could without the intention of exploiting roll mechanics?

5. When will this exploit be fixed, and what is the fix?
    I've heard a significant number of people complain about the Rollex exploit, and how bad it is. If it is such a significant problem, the implications on game balance - balance which has been developed alongside the presence of the exploit - must be considered.

===============================================================
    EDIT:

So, TLDR:
    1. What is the roll exploit?
    2. Is this a problem with all factions, or a particular few/one?
    3. How can you identify malicious use?
    4. How are bans carried out? What proof is required?
    5. When will this exploit be fixed, and what is the fix?

Please try to answer my questions point-by-point for clarity :)

Cheers, all.

2. Rollex is when you crouch before rolling to cepancel some animations and shoot early (simplified)

How to identify a rollexer: someone who is typically always crouched while using a bolter is a good indicator, when they start rolling and firing, in order to avoid taking damage while still dealing damage, then that is malicious usage of Rollex.
    Basically it looks like a space marine spazzing out on the floor and (often) everyone ending up dead
    Wartortle likes this.
  3. jbregg jbregg Dev QA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.