Background Image

Real-life Warhammer religion and spiritualism.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Virgil_Corbec, Jan 8, 2017.

?

What Warhammer religion would you like to be a real thing?

1. Cult of Sigmar

2. Chaos Gods

3. THE EMPRAH

4. Cult Mechanicus

5. Other

6. GORK AN' MORK!!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I found out a while ago about "Jediism" which really piqued my interest and made me wonder what other fictional religions could become real things. If I was a Star Wars fan I would have signed on to Jediism but I am not, so I thought that maybe Warhammer (Which I am a huge fan of) could work as a real religion. I looked more into the theology of the Warhammer universes and what I found filled me with curiosity. The possibilities just make me wonder what it could be like. Can you imagine a real-life cult of Sigmar or The Emperor, The Omnissiah, Chaos gods or even the Lady of the lake or Greater Good to name a few? I personally would love to see the Mechanicum and the quest for knowledge become real, how about you guys?
  2. I don't think Warhammer is a good guide at all for spirituality, that's really the appeal of the genre, that everything is horrible and you're just picking a shade of dark grey to black. It's all dogmatism to the point even the atheists go around forcing everyone else to convert or die. So yeah, I really wouldn't want to see any of Warhammer's ideologies practiced in real life, because they exemplify pretty much all the worst qualities of belief and disbelief.

Hence, grimdark.
    XRuinX and Virgil_Corbec like this.
  3. MORK AND GORK, YA GIT.

DERE AIN'T NO OTHER RELIGION.

Attached Files:

4. True, the religions in the way that they are practiced in universe (Witch-hunting, xenophobia, etc) are very much appalling but it is more of the original idea behind the religion that intrigues me. I'll use the Cult Mechanicus as a example; The core belief of the Cult mechanicus is that knowledge and the ability to learn and retain said knowledge is a sign of divinity and that learning and improving yourself (With augmetics in 40k's case) brings you closer to the divine. It is a goal and an idea that seeks to drive individuals to better themselves with knowledge and physical performance for its own sake. Learning is its own reward. Anyone can tell you that life has no inherent meaning and that it really doesn't matter what you do because you will die and be forgotten in the end but the Cult Mechanicus looked at this and decided that for the sake of survival it just wasn't the way to go. So they gave life purpose by believing in the "Quest for knowledge" which was a goal that every tech-priest could strive for. To say it in a quote:

"A man may die and still endure if his work enters the greater work, for time is carried upon a current of forgotten deeds, and events of great moment are but the culmination of a single carefully placed thought. As all men must thank progenitors obscured by the past, so we must endure the present, so that those who follow may continue the endeavour."
    — The Chime of Eons, Garba Mojaro Techno-Magos of the Adeptus Mechanicus

The whole machine worship and dogma stuff that makes it grimdark is only a reaction to the circumstances of their universe. If every piece of technology had the potential to contain a crazy AI that would do everything to kill you and mess up everything (Like a lasgun not firing at a critical moment or a ship dropping the Gellar fields during warp transit) unless you did a ritual to appease it than you would suddenly find yourself doing the rituals and stuff too.

I guess I would look for a modified religion based off of Warhammer instead of a carbon-copy because we do not live in those circumstances. In summary: I think the ideas behind them could make good fun joke religions like Jediism.
  5. That is why I put 'other'. But I guess I should give Gork and Mork their own category lest they kick my door (and my teef) in.
  6. Caentyr Caentyr Subordinate

FFS guys, Just because you are fanatically in love with something doesn't mean you have to make it a religion.

Jedism became a thing after a group of people felt the government was getting too nosy with all their public surveys. It was a joke.

Not to mention all of these "gods" want you to go around killing everybody. Something the world really doesn't need right now. *Cough* Islam *Cough*
  7. Lootmasta Kaptin_Pokkets Arkhona Vanguard

Or most major religions at one point or another in time. But who cares? While I like Gork and Mork as an ork fanboy, ultimately I'll take the Chaos Gods. At least their religion is fun before you die.
    Virgil_Corbec likes this.
  8. Mandulis Mandulis Active Member

Since i think that religions are brainwashing, none of them
  9. Xio Valency Xi0 Preacher

Lacking the Eldar pantheon but that's my choice, at least we know they exist, the Eldar made them after all, and they are not as extreme as Chaos.