Background Image

(player Poll)auspex As A Loadout Item Versus Red Dots On Minimap

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Psychopski, Aug 9, 2014.

?

Auspex versus Persistent Red Dots(Showing enemy locations) on minimap?

1. Only friendly dots on minimap

20.8%
  2. Auspex hand held as load out option

61.2%
  3. Red dots on minimap

10.7%
  4. None of the Above(please explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other(Add your own reply)

7.3%
  1. [​IMG]

Warning: Multiple votes not allowed. I meant to allow for multiple votes. If you're voting for more than one, please add your second choice in the reply section. Thanks.

I noticed for the first time today during the Twitch Live Feed, red dots on the Minimap showing enemy locations.

I was really hoping for something other than the generic HALO or Call of Duty experience while playing Eternal Crusade. Hoping for an experience more in line with the Lore from the 40K Universe. I'd prefer to rely on my visual senses, looking and listening for enemy gunfire or footsteps, communicating with my Battle Brothers to find and fix enemy locations... rather than having the system constantly holding my hand and spoon feeding me persistent enemy locations via red dots on my minimap.

I'd much rather see the Auspex take the place of persistent red dots on our minimaps. Designed as a hand held device, available as a load out option, used in conjunction with friendly players rendering on the minimap. The Auspex would worn on the belt, pulled up in the offhand. Requires the player to remain stationary for several seconds to conduct a scan. The device scans unidirectional up to 50 meters in a cone according to the direction your facing. The actual range could be +/- and hashed out during Beta testing to determine the optimal range. It's a risk/reward type item, and fits the 40K universe much better than a persistent Battlefield 4(normal servers) style minimap that constantly feeds you easy kills via red blips on your UI.

An Auspex, also called a Multi-scanner, or simply a Scanner, is a short-ranged Imperial sensor device used to detect motion, invisible gases and energy emissions across a wide band of the electromagnetic spectrum. This includes such emissions as heat, radiation and most forms of energy given off by vehicles and living troops. Their main tactical use is to use the Auspex to triangulate the location of otherwise hidden enemy forces and allow them to be fired on by Imperial troops. The standard range of an Auspex is fifty metres, although walls more than fifty metres thick as well as certain types of building materials are able to block their active and passive sensor modes.

If you recall from the Ultramarines movie, only 1 member of the Squad was carrying the Auspex, and he was only scanning intermittently. I think it would add some flavor to the game world if certain areas on the planet interfered with Auspex scans, along with fluctuations in the Warp, electrical storms, ect. If something's up with your Auspex and it's not properly scanning in game, chances are something bad is about to happen. The description above does say "triangulate" so a margin of error could be added for immersion.
    [​IMG]
    pharanooks, Iyan, Hurty and 9 others like this.
  2. Frank FrankM Curator

other, have it used to navigate dungeons like something from aliens
    Kaldor-Draigo, Corphy, Daedra and 2 others like this.
  3. Yeah, having the bugs constatly appearing on your minimap would really take away from the overall experience IMO. But...... standing there waiting on your squad member with the Auspex to scan. They scan several times in several directions.... then he/she sees all the bugs closing in... when the scan is complete. Much more dramatic IMO! Shit! Shit! Shit! CONTACT FRONT! OPEN FIRE! Game over man! Game over!
  4. Tarl68 TARL68 Arkhona Vanguard

voted other,

• green dots for player/squad/strike force/(friendlies if in line of sight) on minimap (shared battlefield intel),
    • red dots for enemies on minimap if within line of sight of the player/squad/strike force (shared battlefield intel),
    • white dots/markers for objectives/marked locations on minimap
    • optional load-out handheld tool that when used "pings" the localised area and shows all friend/foe current position regardless of line of sight (stationary location marker for time of "ping"....may be defeated by "stealth" units)
  5. Nice one, I forgot to add that in. I'm hoping the devs consider going with this approach, along with capture points showing up on minimap and your regular map, versus those floating icons they're using now(the ones you can see from really far away through terrain).

I'm really hoping for a 40K experience that's grim dark and quite different from your run of the mill shooters and MMOs. COD/BF4/Halo with all the usual bells and whistles, reskinned in a 40K setting with a 3rd person view doesn't quailify as "quite different" or grim dark in my book.
  6. So'Kiel So-Kiel Well-Known Member

Red dots is a good thing, actually, if it's an enemy that somebody on your side has spotted.
    I'd prefer to have it this way:
    The enemy can be any distance to you, but not in Line Of Sight - you don't see his presence anywhere. If he is in your LOS, you can see him on a map, other people in your team or faction - don't. Seeing him you hit a designated button - you have spotted him for your team or faction to see on a map. He hides - the dot soon fades.
    Something around this.

As for making you see all your friendlies on a map, the Devs have stated already, that it will be available for commanders, the regular warriors will not have this info, to make faction peeking obsolete. But I guess we'll see our team markers on HUD.
    Corphy likes this.
  7. Schurge Schurge First Blood!

I voted no.

I would be open to having your minimap glow red when enemies are in the vicinity if you have a certain item equipped though.
  8. Well the concept is to have the Auspex as a hand held device, that only actively scans when you're holding in your offhand and standing stationary. Like in the pic of the miniature I posted above. Once you activate the device it scans in a cone up to 50 meters in the direction you're facing, this process takes 5 seconds or so. The blips would appear when the scan is complete, on the Auspex, not on your minimap.

Once you're done scanning, you can scan in another direction, or stow Auspex back on your belt and continue whatever you were doing.
    SicariusWithABolter likes this.
  9. Schurge Schurge First Blood!

That sounds more reasonable... I must not have read the original post correctly.

That would add a new role for those who prefer support, or scouting.
    Psychopski and proph like this.
  10. So'Kiel So-Kiel Well-Known Member

The problem with this Auspex is that definitely not every player will be able to communicate through speech. And also there will be lone players.. So how can such a player quickly relay information to his allies, if he has spotted the enemy? Even with the Auspex, how do you relay information other than through speech?
    Anyway, there seems to be little of lumbering units, everyone is pretty fast, especially vehicles. In a matter of 3 seconds of the scan, the tank, or Assasult Marine, and of course much faster units too, will change position greatly.

I agree though, that Auspex sounds like fun, but imho, it would certainly fit much more to some confined spaces, like some SpaceHulks, you know.. And it seems that in EC we'll have plenty of open space, where standing on one place for long (several seconds to scan each direction) is a suicide. It also sounds like a very routine job, of which you can get tired pretty fast. Because by the time you scanned all four directions, it's time to scan again)
    Mangy-Pup likes this.