Background Image

[Lore Team] Story/Campaign status report: 1/29/18

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Katzu_HSM, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Greetings, Crusaders!

I always want to be honest with you. Below is a re-post of our 1/22/18 Progress Report because not enough has changed for us to change any number or alter any comments we'd have. We're all community members and have jobs, schools, and families, just like most if not all of you. Our plan is to attack the Setting Bible and get it to Nathan by 3 February.

Warzone Team Progress Report

• Action Item 1: Clean up backstory, lore, and establish the ACTUAL setting Bible - Progress 98% in Draft.
      • We're down to maybe a handful of paragraphs and then we'll send it out for Nathan and GW's approval. I'm thinking you'll start seeing teasers and the like in the next week or two: stuff that we've either decided to preserve from the pre-approved original continuity or stuff that affects nothing of significance and therefore won't face particularly harsh approval.
    • Action Item 2: Update Lexicanum to be THE source for all information on Eternal Crusade - Progress 2% in Draft.
      • Early last week, myself and a small handful of contributors applied for Lexicanum (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Eternal_crusade) access so that we can start making it the place to go for Eternal Crusade information both soft (ie Lore) and hard (ie builds, strats, and tactics as @ProteusVM suggested to me in a previous post) information. There are no fewer than SIX wikis containing EC stuff out there, and I've made copies of them all to aggregate still-valid info into Lexicanum.
      • We chose Lexicanum because it is both a wiki, possesses moderately controlled access to who is allowed to update it, and we don't have to create pages explaining basic facts of the 40k universe - they're already made and can be linked! All it takes is manpower, and if anyone is good with wikis and the like and/or already has Lexicanum access, I'd like to speak with you!
    • Action Item 3: Draft, develop, and submit Warzone Liaisons for approval - Progress 90% in Draft, 0% in Edit/Revision, 0% Ready for BHVR/GW sign-off.
      • With the departure of the Faction Leads to align us with 8th edition Lore, the Liaisons will soon step forward; individuals with specific missions and drives during the Arkhona Campaign. Every faction will start with 4, and as players succeed or fail in their faction's missions each faction may have Liaisons added, removed, injured, replaced, or killed.
      • We also have larger plans for the Liaisons, but our FIRST hurdle is making them characters that could conceivably exist in the 41st millennium with real stories worth telling. Like the Warzones, they have to undergo GW's approval process as well, though not nearly as strict as if we were to try to mortally wound Abaddon.
    • Action Item 4: Develop Community Submission Pipeline for Storylines - Progress 100%.
      • The submission guidelines are written and waiting for completion and approval of the Setting Bible so we can drop it as a packet for prospective writers.
    • Action Item 5: Find ways to inject Lore into current player experience - Progress Ongoing.
      • We started a new file to go in and write the continent and factional UI 'boiler plates' in a style that both feels faction-appropriate and furthers the lore, mentioning things like continent names, giving locations to places that were referenced in the McNeill short stories, etc.
    • Action Item 6: Write Warzone 1 - Progress 0% in Draft, 0% in Edit/Revision, 100% Ready for BHVR/GW sign-off.
      • Warzone 1 has been submitted for bE and GW review and approval!
    Feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer them as I can.
    Vaanes, BrotherDamnatus and Data8671 like this.
  2. Will you let us know how the submission goes on the third and what Nathan says about it?
  3. Yes. My plan is to go in and handle the rest of the holes this evening and/or most of tomorrow. I can't finalize and submit the Liaisons until we have a full comprehension on what the world they inhabit looks like, after all. From there our focus turns to unearthing ways to inject lore in more organic ways along the lines of Action Item 5.

As soon as I know things, the Community will be told essentially half a heartbeat later (except, ya know, I write a bunch).
    Vaanes likes this.
  4. Feb 3rd has come and gone my friend, what news do you have?
  5. My news is I just sat down for lunch at my real job and yesterday I was taking away from all things 40k due to my eyes bleeding from typing.

Patience is a virtue.
  6. Then the virtuous should stay well clear of deadlines.
    Aislinn and ProteusVM like this.
  7. "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and your field is a desk 1000 miles away." -- Dwight Eisenhower.

"Our plan is to attack the Setting Bible and get it to Nathan by 3 February." This was a goal; not a carved-in-stone pronouncement. Shit happens; people get busy. As an all-volunteer effort and with many of us running operations all day Saturday in support of the inter-guild deployment, I have only a few more things to clean up before I shoot it over to him.

What were you doing this weekend, apart from licking your lips waiting to smirk and say "I told you so?"
  8. Proteus Lychoro ProteusVM Forum Beta Tester

9. This weekend I was standing my watch as OOD on a United States Naval ship somewhere in the Indian ocean, like I have every weekend since September. I understand that you are a volunteer, but you basically just said you folks were too busy playing video games on Saturday to finish the work you promised the community (and probably Nathan?) you would have submitted. Volunteer or not, there is something to be said for being reliable. I was hoping that your efforts would be the one dependable aspect of this damn game. In a business of promises to be delivered on soon, a team of volunteers doing what they said they were going to do when they said they were going to do it was a refreshing change.

Just think on this, if you can't get your first major contribution to the game in during the time frame you gave yourself, then by what right do have the expectation that Nathan is supposed to rely on you going into the future? I'm not trying to lecture, I'm only pointing out that if you really want to be seen as an asset, you need to stay true to your word.

At the very least you could have posted, "hey I have not submitted the setting bible yet, it's been postponed until... whenever because, reasons"...

If I told my captain, "hey yea sorry for not having the ship where you wanted it when you wanted it to be there, I know that we were supposed to be there to join the fight, but I was busy playing video games and this isn't what I signed up for, so get off my back okay?" He'd have a shit fit and I would not be doing what I do anymore. And by the way, I also volunteered for my duty, but unlike you I don't ever use that as an excuse.

Do what you say you are going to do, prove that your contribution has worth and that you are reliable help for the game. Set the standard the developer should have set for itself.

Vaanes out.
    Krayt and ProteusVM like this.
  10. is he typing right now?
  11. Thank you for your service. I'm sorry after my discharge I became a lowly city worker that keeps 40-hour work weeks. Lol.

I can't speak for my team's decisions, but many were playing in the event so I'll take responsability for not pushing them to feel their commitment more firmly. I, however, was writing until I hated the concept of letters, and by the time I finally gave up from fatigue and a horrible headache, I spent the next day not touching anything 40k related. If you know anything about me, a single day where I'm not doing SOMETHING related to 40k is a rarity.

As for my reliability, I DID get our first major contribution in during the timeframe I provided: Warzone 1 was on time, under budget, and currently at BHVR for review (something we're particularly proud of).

1) Couldn't stand the sight of letters; as I said.
    2) Its 4:04pm on 2/5/18 where I'm at. I'll tag you in a second with something.

Via out.
    Vaanes likes this.