Background Image

Let's Make Some Noise! Now with MathieuLavoie

Discussion in 'Ask the Team' started by NoiseMaker, May 27, 2015.

1. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

Does the Flesh Circle (Nurgle heal) sound vile and horrid? :D

Also have a nice vacation Ian, you surely need it.
    Sofferenza and NoiseMaker like this.
  2. Ian Chuprun NoiseMaker Senior Sound Designer

The heals are all more vocal based at the moment. But they are good performances!

And, thanks!
    Djemo-SRB likes this.
  3. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

Oh snap, so we will be chanting our spells? Thats even better!
    Hoping for a grating/raspy filter on the Nurgle one, and an elegant and eerie one for Tzeentch.
  4. Fistikuffz da Harassa Lawro Well-Known Member

Hi, any plans on improving sound effects for the Big Shoota? I worship your work on the regular Shoota sound, it's fantastic, but the Big 'un sounds a little muffled and lackluster. I'm not saying it should be the same timbre like Shoota but a more sharp, growly, tearing sound would be nice. :)
    ArgosRex likes this.
  5. I feel like the regular ol' bolter sound could use a little tweak latr down the road somewhere!
    It's alright, but it doesnt have the oomph that it ought to have. It feels a little like a dragged out pistol shot with a bloated waveform. No hate on your sound design work, Im just thinking a deep, growly thud to really make it stand out from other guns!
    A bit of whishful thinking...

OH, and maybe make the rhino's sound a bit....heavier?
    Their engine sounds a little small, and doesn't give off the vibe of 'tank' as much as it does 'car'!

A more immediate suggestion would be to get a small audio queue when you down an enemy, or earn points in general. Just a little tick to notify you earning points during defense or assisting, and a slightly more satisfying one for downing or killing someone. I'm a fan of Blizzards Overwatch, and that little audio queue letting you know you scored a kill is positively addictive!
    So i would love to get that in EC, as it would give you that little bit of sensory thrill every time you wreck somenes face in ;D
    Did you have any plans for that already, and im just being overexcitable?

My apologies if i worded this in a manner that sounds like criticism, i guess us fans are just picky beasts ;)
  6. Phalaris of Akragas Phalaris Nickname Change

The new sounds for the spells sound good with one exception the tzeentch spells.
    TzHeal sounds a little choppy for me and flickering fire is very annoying when spammed "au au au au au au au au au au au "
    XRuinX likes this.
  7. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

Feedback on psychic power sounds:

Tzeentch heal:
    The power plays out too fast, so the sound plays fast too. Im stumped as to how you can synergize the two but its kinda odd. Perhaps slowing the voice behind the spell down or letting it fully chant even after the spell has finished its cast so its not so quickly blurbed out?

Flickering Fire: The sound when firing it is kinda... arcade-y? Cant say im a big fan, especially cause it has some sort of a rubber-y sound to it too. Perhaps if the sound was deeper, it sounds like you are using a toy atm. Or perhaps trying something different could work, like using the sounds of an actual fire mixed with whispers and screams.

Default heal (Warp Regeneration): Awesome, that is all.

Warp Instability:
    I truly hope the enemy also hears that deamonic droning in his ears, cause it sounds awesome when you use it on an enemy target.

Slaanesh heal/Lash of Slaanesh: Wonderful work Ian, the whole female whispering feels like there are Deamonettes on the other side of the veil giggling and enjoying your rampage, while coaxing you towards more destruction, especially the ecstasy laced "ahh" at the end of the Lash of Slaanesh cast. One thing id suggest about the Lash of Slaanesh though, it lack the "fleshy-ness" behind the power.

Description of the power from the Lexicanum:

"Lash of Slaanesh: A tongue-like whip of energy erupts from the Psyker, capable of shattering enemy forces."

So the power itself kinda manifests something of flesh (imo?), which is kinda lacking in the sound of the spell. Would be perhaps interesting to try and use the sounds of an actual whip and incorporate it into the sound of the Lash of Slaanesh somehow. Then again since the sound would need to be like something fleshy slapping a person perhaps you can go buy one of those big sausages at a butchers shop and slap Nathan across the face with it, then record it. Im sure he wont mind helping out. :D

TLDR: Lash of Slaanesh lack the sound of an actual fleshy lash

Nurgle heal: A standing ovation, bravo! I like how theres a tone of sickness to the voice chanting the incantation and how tired the voice sounds, like its fighting to speak out certain parts of the chant, breaking into coughs.

Only two things id love to see you try with this psychic power, one of them im sure will make it 100 times better and the other is perhaps a try and see. The first one is that i feel like you should, similarly to the Stream of Corruption, add the sound of flies to the power. Nurgle is all about rot and decay (and regeneration, but another topic), so flies follow wherever he and his followers go, his domain is also teeming with them. Its only logical to add the sound of flies to this power too. If you want to differ it "fly sound" wise from the Stream of Corruption, perhaps adding a deeper tone of a flyswarm to the power then the current one we can hear on the SoC. Or maybe even use the sound of bee swarms (because i think the sound the produce in a swarm is a deeper sounding one, though actual fly sounds would be preferable ofc).

The second one is perhaps trying to make the voice a deeper tone, to make it sound even more sickly, cause those who serve Nurgle are in really bad shape. This one i dunno if it would help or worsen the sound of the spell though, shame theres no way i can personally test the sound at a deeper or slower tone. But would be awesome to hear it as such, if for nothing else but to see if it makes things better or worse.

Overall adding the chanting to psychic powers made them all the more amazing, good job Ian (and Mathieu ofc), keep up the good work!
    Mohax likes this.
  8. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

I just realized that now the Stream of Corruption is the only psychic power without the voices behind it adding to the awesomeness of using it.

I hate to be nitpicky about this, especially since i enjoyed the sound of the Stream of Corruption so far, but have you considered trying to add some sickly voices or coughing to the Stream of Corruption perhaps, to put it "on par" with the new awesome and reworked psychic power sounds?

Now when i hear the other powers and use the Stream of Corruption it feels like something is missing, sound wise.
  9. A few important sound issues as of late.

1. Mysterious Storm Bolter sounds always shooting very loud no matter where I at on the map while playing Loyalist. I can be on any class with any weapon, it matters not I always hear this Storm bolter.

2. I could be mistaken, but I think the Power Armor servo sounds are missing for Wolf Priests and Space Wolves. Unless they've been removed or are bugged for all. I only play Space Wolves and my Orks for the most part. I haven't noticed any sounds of the servos doing their thing since I started playing the Wolves.

It would be a real shame if the power armor servo sounds have been removed for all Astartes. That is an amazing effect that really brings the Power Armor to life IMO. I was listening last night and I couldnt hear any servo sounds at all coming off of my Wolf Priest. I got distracted and forgot to check my Chaos Characters.

3. Footfall sounds coming up behind us. Footfall sounds in general. Last fall we had a problem of hearing too much from too far. We could hear footfall sounds coming trough thick, 3 to 5 feet walls. We could hear footfall sounds from the top of Blackbolt, coming from down on the lower floors.

It seems now I can have 5 enemies just appear behind me, on top of me and I never hear them coming at all. We were told at one time that silent footfall gear might be a wargear option. It would be nice to revisit that. Standard though we should hear a jogging or sprinting astartes, ork or eldar coming up behind us. Only if we're crouched and sneaking should our footfall sounds disappear.

4. Vehicle sounds from far to near. How is it I dont hear an ork truck, wave serpent, or rhino coming until i'm getting run over? Surely we should hear them coming from very far out, with the sound getting louder and LOUDER as they get closer. Getting run over by a huge vehicle should never, EVER be a surprise. WE should hear them coming from way out, and there should never be any doubt a moving tank, halftrack, 6x6 truk or hovercraft are nearby.
  10. MefDaFixa GeorgePhillips Arkhona Vanguard

http://forum.eternalcrusade.com/thr...-a-chaos-god-as-a-mechanic-like-waaagh.59282/
    Look at my post would you be able to do voices for individual chaos gods?