Background Image

Jump Pack Assault Hard to Use?

Discussion in 'Space Marines' started by acepost, Dec 16, 2017.

1. acepost acepost Active Member

Hi guys, just wondering anyone frag a lot with a Normal Jump Pack Assault? What weapons do you usually use?

I find the Maul quite useless, the enemy can just Dbash me before even my normal attack successfully completes its animation?

Appreciate some insight and tips if you have any.
    Talron and CuCulainn like this.
  2. Drakkoth Krypto Arkhona Vanguard

Power sword ftw. And fast attacks are countered by d-bash.

Also fuel is way more important than any other stat for jump assaults. If you clang with a fast attack immediately dodge arround your foe cause he is probably doing a dbash.
    GrazewoundZeroLow likes this.
  3. acepost acepost Active Member

Yes the Sword is faster than the Maul, but the maul is still seriously slow like snail, anyone recommend it and use it effectively?
  4. Mikilleus Kill_miK Steam Early Access

Mauls have the highest impact, thus they're used to broke other's people wepons first. Because this require some time, mauls are normally equipped by ground assault troops (that can sustain longer fight).
    Jump Pack Assault rely upon mobilty rather than durability. If you play as one, you (usually) want to eliminate fast your target and move away, you don't want to be stuck in a duel. That's why faster weapons are the way to go with JPA.
    If you play as LSM you can use p.sword for better penetration, regular chainsword with lifesteal mod if you want a little bit of durability or chainblade of fury if you are going for the "sneak attack from behind" playstyle. CSM are mostly the same (beside chainblade of fury) but their better option is, indubitably, the Necrotic chainsword, You give 3, 4 hit to your opponent and let the poison ailment do the rest.
    Orks same as CSM but with fire instead of poison, they're more tougher so they're also more prone to fight instead of run.
    Eldar are OP! :p

As a side note on melee combat:
    It's better to have a pattern on your attacks (it's even better to have 2, 3 patterns!). Something like: sprint attack then strong attack or sprint attack then fast then strong. It's a thing that depend strongly on your play style AND the weapon you see on your opponent. But it's always better to follow a pattern rather than using attacks randomly or, even worst, always fast attacking!
  5. Saphirone Water_Snake Steam Early Access

I usually always pack up with a grenade, and +1 fuel.

Don't bother with fuel regen, it only work really well for the swooping hawks to have fuel regen, focus on having 3fuel cell. For assault marines, with 3 fuel cell, you use 2 in combat, and you keep the last one to dodge and get away from the enemy, you don't want to be out of fuel in the middle of a melee fight as you have no way to roll away, or dodge the opponent, you will take everything head on.
  6. 0strum 0strum Arkhona Vanguard

I agree with what has been said about weapons. The maul, while an interesting choice, relies on the user being tanky, which means ground assault. JPAs just aren't tanky enough for maul gameplay in most situations, which is why swords are generally a better choice for jumpers.
    Just remember to play like a cowardly backstabber and not like a tanky berzerker. Disengaging is better than dying.
  7. Lord Ravagerx Deadknight Well-Known Member

a mace is good back attack or sneak attack same as Power fist

if u stun your enemy use a strong attack not a light attack for instant kill
  8. Never go for a heavy attack on a power maul or a power axe/chainaxe when you dbash the foe because the heavy attack animation takes a tiny bit longer than the dbash stun and can allow the foe to just roll away and dodge your attack and retaliate, giving the opponent the upper hand. Power Swords and chainswords are alright though, but i always prefer 2 fast attacks during stun and close the gap with a heavy attack if the foe decides to roll away and dbash, which almost 8 out 10 players do so, regardless of class and/or faction as far as i can tell from my experience.
  9. Lord Ravagerx Deadknight Well-Known Member

i use that tactics 4- 5 months ago it works

one hit kill, but now game for 4 wks now is crap to much lag

i cannot do melee because i teleport

bullets not even working

now play as support medic
  10. DavyBoy CuCulainn Curator

Slaanesh JPA with 3 jumps, necro CB and a healing crystal. Sometimes I may use a heavier weapon but the necro CB has that poison, its fast and lower LP cost.