Background Image

iz da grav kannon sum propa dakk-umm... i mean...

Discussion in 'Space Marines' started by Khaernakov, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Eavydakka Khaernakov Subordinate

hello there honorable battle git-brothers, i was wondering if the grav cannon is of any good, ive been wanting to start playing space marines forever but their lack of unique weapons drove me away(example in chaos i love how you get an autocanon and orks literally a tank canon) most ppl seem to dislike it, but talking on a performance level, can it rack the kills? i know it is made mostly for anti vehicle, but as a matter of fact you cant just pull your secondary as a devastator, so can you defend yourself properly and maybe even actually kill infantry with it or na?

if not i guess ill stay away untill they (hopefully) add shoulder mounted rocket launchers
  2. ItsGary Recruit

Personally I find the Grav Weapons just pointless. The pistol and the gun tickle infantry and don't do any meaningful damage to vehicles.

The cannon I have not used due to how bad the others are. I am told it has heavy recoil which constantly pulls up but it also suffers the fate of not doing enough to infantry whilst it can do meaningful damage to vehicles.
  3. I think the only application of Grav is against Eldar vehicles and then probably only the cannon. It's reasonably effective in terms of damage and reduction in movement speed but most of all because it really pisses them off....(stupid lawnmowers)...
  4. Judasilfarion Silfarion Drill Abbott

It has the lowest DPS in the game but the point isn't to kill people with it, the point is to support your teammates by holding things in place so they can shoot them. Like a group of charging Chaos traitor assaults, for example. You can slow down or stop a push with it
  5. Avlaen Avlaen Arkhona Vanguard

the grav cannon has way too much recoil for me to enjoy using. the grav Gun is very good v melee and when comboes with a melta bomb can be effective at killing vehicles, while being able to defend yourself from any of the occupants, you will probly lose against any one with a gun, but the snare is very handy making them unable to get to cover in the bigger fights.

Cannons is blegh the delay between firing makes it useless v melee and the recoil is just insane, a single overheat takes my mouse from the VERY top of my mouse pad to the actually off of the pad.

Pistol likewise isnt great, dosent do enough damage.

The rifle is alot of fun and quite good
  6. Eavydakka Khaernakov Subordinate

thanks for all the info, so it seems like im better with a plasma canon or heavy bolter after all...

i had this in my mind that a dark angel vet with a grav canon would look pretty cool, but if the gun performance is as bad as it seems i guess ill try another weapon, even tho nothing calls my attention wich is why i made this thread initially to see if the only thing that caught my atention would be worth my time, guess ill go back to sum propa dakka until something else is added

thanks again for all the answers
  7. ZeGit Recruit

I've been using the grav cannon for some time now and I can tell you that in my opinion it's a good pick if you're aming for flexibility as an devastator. It might not be the best weapon but what truly makes it stand out is the fact that it can do moderate damage against both vehicles and infantry. Althrough it might not have the highest damage against the vehicles and the recoil might be hard to control sometimes it is a great weapon to have, especially if you are working in a squad and you have a battle - buddy with a melta. I cannot give you any opinions on the grav pistol and rifle as I am not using them. So, putting it together, the cannon is worth your requsition.
  8. ZeGit Recruit

Dang it, wasn't fast enough :/
  9. Eavydakka Khaernakov Subordinate

i saw that! and you know what, fuck it ill give it a shot, if i dislike it i can just buy 3k boxes untill i get another gun, after all even tho it seems to have a bad performance, is a laser canon, that sounds cool
  10. Cauchemare Recruit

In my personal expirience, grav weapons work well if you're actually trying to:

A) Support a gunner, be that a bunch of tacs or a dev.
    B) Play against Eldar.
    C) Position yourself well.
    D) Harass vehicles.

Unlike most people, even with their DPS I find them quite fun to use. Quick breakdown:

Grav-pistols - even modded, they just aren't worth it. There are better weapons for same amount/less of LP. That's the only grav-weapon I never use. They are purely situational. Sure, you can slow down someone if he tries to melee you, or you can do the same thing to help out your teammate that's being attacked, but there's no point in that. A bolt pistol will do a better job. Why? Because grav-pistols do as much damage as a hot stream of piss and ON TOP OF THAT they overheat waaay too quickly to deal any considerable damage.

Grav-guns - they do pretty fine once modded. Sure, they don't do that much damage, but they are A LOT better than grav-pistols are. They overheat slower, they deal more damage and they are pretty good at helping your team out if you play it right. Sure, you can't just bash in and wreck faces with it. But the speed debuff it applies really helps your teammates in a firefight, making enemies walking practice dummies. Works especially well against eldar, both infantry and vehicles, especially if you back your team properly.

Grav-cannons - basically, a better yet somewhat clumsier grav-gun. It does all of that grav-gun can do, yet it overheats A LOT slower, deals even more damage, applies bigger slow debuff, but it has horsepunch recoil. And it has a "wind up" window like heavy bolters do. It deals nearly enough damage to be effective on it's own, you can also easily kill people by catching them off-guard, even if you're away from your group. I find it to work EXTREMELY well against eldar and perform fairly well against other factions. Once again, mods make it a lot more fun to use, both supressing the enormous recoil and adding some damage. Hell, that's probably the only weapon I use if I go AV against eldar. It just wrecks their "hover crap" :D

In conclusion, I can see why people think they are underperforming overall, TTK for most other weapons being how it is now, but I still think grav-weapons have their uses. Mostly against eldar, though.

Just give it a go, it never hurts :D