Background Image

How to fight against Tyranid Warriors

Discussion in 'PVE Discussion' started by 0strum, May 12, 2017.

1. 0strum 0strum Arkhona Vanguard

All too often, squads will fail in lairs because they can not deal with Tyranid Warriors. I hope that some of the new players will read this and become more successful in future PVE encounters.

1. Kill the adds first!
    The importance of this almost ubiquitous rule can not be overstated. Let your squad's melee fighter "tank" the Warrior to the best of his ability. The healer needs to keep him alive. EVERYONE ELSE needs to stay away from the Warrior when it first appears and kill the lesser Tyranids first. When all lesser Tyranids are dead, turn your undivided attention to the Warrior and you will have a much easier time defeating it.

2. Evasion.
    There are two types of Warriors, one is focused on close combat, the other on ranged combat. Both are deadly. We have no effective taunting mechanism with which melee fighters can keep the Warriors focused on them, the Warrior will attack whoever does the most damage or is closest, seemingly at will. If a melee Warrior is running at you, run. Run in circles, bring the Warrior close to your teammates so they have a chance to distract it. If a ranged Warrior is firing at you, look for cover and duck behind it. FAST.

3. Know which weapons to bring.
    Talk to your squad when picking your classes. You need firepower to deal with the hordes of lesser Tyranids and you need hard hitting weapons for the Warriors. Tyranid Warriors have high toughness values, so weapons with high penetration will be more effective against them. Particularly effective weapons against Warriors are bombs (melta and superstikk) and powerfists/klaws.
    Also, be careful when using plasma weapons and explosives. Fighting a warrior is hard enough with a full squad, dead teammates make it harder. Be particularly careful with any sticky grenades, melee Warriors WILL carry the explosives right back to your squad, the explosion could potentially wipe you out.

4. KILL THE DAMN ADDS FIRST.

Good hunting!

Edits/Additions:

2. NM, you got my own tip. By the Emepror watch those explosives. There is little room to maneuver, the Warriors can hit you in pretty much the worst spots and you can take out half your team with one grenade.
    XavierLight likes this.
  3. Viktor Aramorae TheWarpsmith Well-Known Member

My tip would be "if you don't have the heavy weapon needed to crush the warrior, just pass aggro back and forth so nobody gets cornered until he is dead". Also no you cannot parry his attacks...
    0strum and XavierLight like this.
  4. MonkMildain MonkMildain Steam Early Access

You can most certainly parry their attacks. I do it all of the time. Fast attack until weapon durability is low, Dbash and roll away. Kill as much time as you can vs a melee warrior.

EDIT:

I feel like many people, presumably new players, fail to make loadouts specific to pve. That really should be added to the original post. Make loadouts of all relevant classes for pve. I'd say that 50% of the battle happens before you even start a pve lair, in the loadouts and class choice
  5. b_1 Recruit

6. Imperator5 Imperator5 Well-Known Member

A few PVE tips:

-Do not bring AOE weapons unless you are really good.
    -Do not bring medikit, you'll have a medic. If you got the points bring an ammo pack.
    -Have one healer class with a heal spell. Healy beacons are a must.
    -Have at least two heavy weapons.
    -If you bring a Tactical, don't use the regular crappy bolter or storm bolter. They chew through ammo too fast and are not that useful when there are heavy bolters around.
    -Always bring a servo skull. Do not bring more than one Tactical.
    -If you are LSM, bring at least one Grav weapon. It slows the gaunts down and lets the heavy bolters take them down with more time.
    -Beware grenades. The hitboxing is very bad in this game. They will fly back at you, be stopped by the marine standing next to you, and so on.

A few questions:
    What stats should a PVE loadout or a PVP one differ for?
    How do Health, Armour and Toughness play in both roles. Do I need more of one or the either for one job?
    What weapons are best against the warrior? Does a power maul hurt it, or do you always need a fist? What about plasma, melta, etc, how do they work? I know melta barely tickles the gaunts.
  7. 0strum 0strum Arkhona Vanguard

- Stats... When I've equiped the loadout with the weapons and other stuff that I want, I'll first go for upgraded power armour, after that I'll spend any points left on armour. I find armour to be way more valuable than health or toughness.

- Warriors are tough as fuck, so any weapon with high penetration will eventually do the trick. The fist/klaw is really good because its heavy attack does 1.7k-2.5k damage and stuns the Warrior. Power weapons are OK, they won't stun the Warrior, but they are more effective than chain weapons due to the better penetration. Also, if you don't use a fist/klaw, you're more effective against the Gaunts.

- Plasma weapons are fine, they have good penetration, just be careful with the charged shots, same deal as with explosives. Melta weapons are unfortunately a no-go, even if they were effective against the warrior, the delay on the damage makes them a liability against the Gaunts. Lascannons are effective against Warriors, but again, completely useless against Gaunts.
    Imperator5 likes this.
  8. Imperator5 Imperator5 Well-Known Member

Thank you. So Armour is the "to go" stat for most time. Is it true for PVP too?
  9. 0strum 0strum Arkhona Vanguard

For me personally, yes. Not sure about other people. My reason to take armour over other stats is is that it renegerates, which health does not and I find the toughness from the artificer or relic armour sets to be enough, I don't stack toughness up higher with other wargear.
  10. Saphirone Water_Snake Steam Early Access

I'm surprised about this bolter stormbolter hate for PVE, what should be the weapon for a tactical in this case ?