Background Image

Ground Assault w/ Shield

Discussion in 'Space Marines' started by Slayer88, May 18, 2017.

1. Slayer88 Recruit

Hello loyalist scum,

I'm 1 day into the game and enjoying it greatly. I've come across these abominations with their shields from some other universe and I have not been able to figure out how to beat them in melee. I'm a traitor assault myself, so I'd guess more or less the mirrored version of them, despite not hiding behind some shield.

I'm not here to complain, I'm here looking for advice. What are these guys' weaknesses? Should I be countering them as a melee class or should I be distracting them and trying to get them killed by my ranged support? What is their shield vulnerable to? Fast attacks and heavy attacks clearly do nothing. Does the Dbash penetrate the shield? What stops them from simply Dbashing me back? Does their shield have durability? Can I just wail on it for long enough and it'll stop working?

Anyway, any disrespectful words or phrases I used were purely for role playing purposes. I'm just another player looking for some help from his fellow gamers.

Death to the False Emperor, Blood for the Blood God, and all that jazz.
    ArchKnightHough likes this.
  2. XavierLight XavierLight Well-Known Member

Keep your distance; shield means no pistol so you can kite them fairly safely if you play smart. Watch out for grenades tho ams don't forget your own.
    Try using ailments (poison, heat and Melta) against them. Should bypass the shield.

Failing that, use lots of firepower from your Havocs.

Shields have durability, a lot of it.
  3. Teef Trooper909 Recruit

Throwing then shooting a nade when its right next to him works pretty well.Takes practice though.
    Or if you prefer you can stick a Krack nade to him.
  4. 0strum 0strum Arkhona Vanguard

You can shoot their shield down with plasma pistols and fusion pistols. You can stick sticky grenades on them despite the shield and they will die, just remember that if they run at you, the blast will kill you as well. Other than that, you can move sideways and try to get behind them, sure they will turn with you, but that opens them up to your teammates who can shoot them in the back.
  5. Slayer88 Recruit

Ah, thank you guys.

I plan to try out the Plasma Pistol whenever I get one. It's a hard life being a Khorne Berserker, that plasma might come in handy. I'd like to try out the krak grenades, too. Are they useful against vehicles and infantry? I like the melta bombs a lot but they're too expensive to be worth it since they can't even blow up a Rhino.

If I get a Plasma Pistol about how many shots do I need to hit his shield with before I can engage? Also, what does Plasma do? Does it do bonus damage to shields or does it have high penetration or what?
  6. Xio Valency Xi0 Preacher

Plasma weapons have a cooldown, not a reload, this means you can cool it down over time like during mid attack and block which means even when the mag is gone you might use it again in a fight if you hold out long enough since you don't need to reload.

20 more pen than bolt weapons and slightly more damage per shot but a much smaller mag

Can hold the fire button to fire a charge shot, this does high damage and a stun is a very very small aoe, I like the charge shot to half someones health and stun them then heavy attack to finish them off, the problem is the travel time, timing and accuracy are key with plasma
  7. 0strum 0strum Arkhona Vanguard

Krak grenades do damage vehicles, but the amount (1250) is worthless against them. They're great to stick on infantry, as it guarantees a kill. Plasma has high penetration, which works nicely against the shield's durability, dunno how many shots though.
  8. Slayer88 Recruit

Does plasma have ammo? What do you mean by "mag" if plasma doesn't need to reload?

It sounds like plasma will be a good fit. Krak grenades sound good, too. I'm not a huge fan of grenades, though. How far is the range? Closer to frag range or closer to meltabomb range?
  9. XavierLight XavierLight Well-Known Member

Plasma weapons have an ammo limit but don't have a "mag" as such, instead they have an overheat mechanic. Shots fired fill a gauge, with charged shots filling more of it. Once the gauge completely fills, the weapon has to cool down. You can press and hokd the reload button to manually vent the heat at any time before the automatic overheat.

Basically the same as in Space Marine.
  10. Xio Valency Xi0 Preacher

It uses a heat mechanic, if you fire a shot you gain heat, if you max out your heat the gun overheats, you can reduce heat by manually venting the weapon or letting it cool down over time

Plasma pistol has 40 shots but I think the charge consumes 5 ammo if memory serves me

For krak nades, if by range you mean throw distance then it's like frags, if you mean blast radius then it's smaller than frags, not that noticeable though.