Background Image

(ec) Devastator Space Marine In Melee

Discussion in 'Space Marines' started by SergeantDracopickles, May 16, 2014.

1. I'm pretty new to the warhammer 40k universe but does anyone think that our devastator will still be able to kick and do a power stomp in melee like they do in warhammer 40k space marine as well would we be able to block with our primary weapon? i know my grammer and spelling is terrible but anyone elses opinion on that?
  2. The devs have said that each class will have melee, so yes they should be able to do that.
    Of course doing so with a large weapon would be near useless, there is alot of thought going around about this matter.
    Thunderfury 2575 likes this.
  3. TheWalton TheWalton Subordinate

I'd say give them an Astartes Combat Knife. I never like the whole kick thing, it seemed pretty poorly thought out to me.
    Ulfgard likes this.
  4. Fox Fox Active Member

Hard to use a knife when you're carrying a heavy weapon that's connected to your backpack. All you can do is kick at people or use the weapon to club people with.
    Thunderfury 2575 likes this.
  5. Aritol Aritol Prefectus

As far as i know, the devastors will swing their weapons at the enemy. So Swing, to push the enemy back, and shoot him with your Heavy Bolter.
  6. Lelorelyn DragonOfMars Active Member

Don't you realize that you can let go of the extremely Heavy Bolter with one hand, switch the whole weight to the other arm and still be able to hold it? That way it is impossible to lift it up to shoot somebody but not impossible to hold it while you draw your silly combat knife and stab somebody right between the eyes.

Trying to stab somebody while holding a heavy weight is not the most effective way of trying to kill somebody but does it really seem less effective than trying to kick somebody with effectively the same lack of mobility that the backpack and bolter imposes upon you?

Granted, using both hands to smack somebody with the bolter might actually be more effective than trying to stab somebody. Less deadly than hitting a vital area with a knife (negated by power-armor) but more likely to disrupt an attack and buy time to shoot.

And yeah, the bolter can be used to block incoming attacks... which, considering you'll be blocking chainswords and power weapons, would likely cause it to break.
  7. learn from the xenos filth orks for once and put stabbybits on the heavy bolter already!

but yeah the most likely I see is being able to push someone away, evade backwards and fill them with a great number of mass reactive large caliber rounds. Maybe even be able to dump the heavy weapon if you have a bit of time (take of the backpack, could be very quick if it uses some sort of maglocks) and switch to your sidearm and combat knife.

But using the knife while holding a heavy weapon in the other hand would be awkward.
  8. Grigdusher Grigdusher Arch-Cardinal

power feet.
    (and chaos have blades on the heavy weapons)
    [​IMG]
    Cibra, Whiskey and Thunderfury 2575 like this.
  9. Fangz Fangz Confessor

From what I know Devastators do simply club and kick. When it is a space marine we're talking about, they could punch the head off another space marine or crack power amour by kicking hard enough. The heavy weapons were never meant to be clubbed around with, but when needs arise it would be done.
  10. Fox Fox Active Member

It does seem a lot less effective to awkwardly try and take the time to shift the weapon's weight to somehow pull out your combat knife and make a desperate swing at someone when you could do a very natural kick that doesn't require you to fool around with the gigantic weapon you're carrying.

You also may have forgotten that Space Marine's have enough straight to smash, shatter, and crush other Space Marines with their fists and feet. Kicking would be many times more effective than using a combat knife for a devastator.