Background Image

Easy plasma cannon fix

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chesstoad, Jul 11, 2018.

1. toad Chesstoad Menial

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RK2ZpUUmJsE

Video related.

Plasma cannon is not commonly used because it's not a very good weapon. It does alright at smashing situationally unaware noobs but what gun doesn't? I would suggest changing the charge up mechanism where the charge can be held for 1 second before release. If the user lets the charge expire past 1 second, they will suffer self-damage and stun. This is similar to how things were a long time ago but the key differences are less time to hold charge and no increase in AOE or damage.

As is now, the ball projectile is too slow and too predictable. Any competant player can dodge plasma all day so long as they're paying attention.
  2. toad Chesstoad Menial

I was, prealpha and preork and preeldar. In the early days, at its most powerful, the plasma cannon could be charged to do more damage and have greater AOE. The projectile also traveled faster. This created ridiculousness.

I am merely advocating for a 1second window to hold the charge and release upon command. This allows for mindgames and people to miss time their rolls. You still have to contend with multiple rolls, aiming/leading and holding the charge too long.

The weapon is currently a joke gun that requires clueless enemies to be effective.
  3. Catnium Catnium Well-Known Member

Wait a minute !
    Isn't that charge holding a chaos thing tho for the normal plasma's ?
    That also comes with a self stun if you hold it for to long ?
  4. Eagle 11 Eagle_11 Well-Known Member

The ball takes too long to charge up, when it gets fired the momentum has passed long since. It needs to charge up faster.
    That makes it rather hard to use outside of niche cases, like camping an obvious spot on ticket maps.
    The ball itself travels way too slow, it would be great if it can accelerate over distance as it flies.
    Data8671 likes this.
  5. Maggon both ways and Ronan defence are where it's best in my oppinion
  6. I think its fine its charge time can be interrupted to auto fire it rapidly. If it didn't have that I would say maybe. But 1 second charge is a bit short for a full size aoe ball. Also look at the reaper launcher if you want to see a truly long charge time for something that needs to be rather accurate. Plasma I can get away with being close ish
    NurgleBurger likes this.
  7. LucianNostra Well-Known Member

I dont see whats wrong with the plasma cannon, it sees a lot of use and is pretty devastating, the aoe is large and downs or flatout kills and it has a nice rapid fire and quick cooldown ability
  8. I remember the Screams, and everywhere the rotten smell of cheese.
    So many dead bodies, dying deaths you could not escape.
    Melee couldn't get close, as there was a charged-up shot ready for them, with an AOE you could not evade.
    You didn't have to aim, the rough area of "At the capture point" was enough to annihilate Friend & Foe alike.

On top of all a voice in my head, trying to convince me that this was all fine an balanced, from a guy who was Running on Blades.

I rather not reopen the dark age of plasmacannon
    Deathwish likes this.
  9. Lerdoc Katitof Well-Known Member

1 second charge time for artillery weapon too long?

Have you ever played with Kannon Deffgun?

There is nothing underpowered about plasma cannon, just a bunch of people having no clue about how to use it.

If you want plasma gun, use plasma gun.

Plasma cannon role is to deny area and nuke from afar defended points, especially on assault maps.

Not all weapons are supposed to be good at all situations (yes, I'm talking to you too, all the stupid people trying to use meltagun vs skimmers instead of las cannon).
    Konok0 likes this.
  10. Teef Trooper909 Recruit

Nothing wrong with the Plasma cannon.