Background Image

Black Templars

Discussion in 'Table Top' started by Elector, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Smorcest Elector Eternal Battles Moderator

So I want to get more into tabe top as I really enjoy painting. I am thinking of starting a Black Templars army and going for about 500 points. Is it worth trying to create one? I asked around in my GW store and apparently they don't sell the Crusader squads, Neophytes/Initiates. Any tips on a list would be appreciated.
  2. Sariel Searva Ordinate

There is a black templar upgrade sprue to use in conjunction with tact marine boxes. You use that to build your squads.
  3. Smorcest Elector Eternal Battles Moderator

Okay, so just buy tactical marines and equip them all with chainswords?
  4. No psykers.
    Not sure if they still have the Chapter rules available, best bet is Black Library.

Start with a HQ unit and two troop units, to be fluffy I'd suggest a Tactical Squad and a Scout Squad, the latter armed with either Boltguns or Bolt Pistols and CCWs.

It might be a good idea to see if there's a 'Tale of many gamers' event somewhere near you, as that gets you playing and building your army off your battle experience.
  5. Sariel Searva Ordinate

the new space marine codex has black templar chapter tactics
  6. Smorcest Elector Eternal Battles Moderator

Okay so, just buy a tactical squad + a scout squad and use one of them upgrade kits to get a crusader squad then. Should I even bother thinking about bringing assault terminators with thunder hammers to 500 points? I want to keep the list fluffy, probably not going to play tournaments.
  7. Algesan Recruit

If you can find the upgrade kits. GW effectively killed what made Black Templars the Black Templars with the retcon in 6th Edition by "rolling" them up into the main SM codex. They went from awesome to Ultracrap with worse Chapter tactics, a different paint job and a funny troop choice (the "Crusader squad"). Heh, if you read anything about them in fluff, the names may be the same and some of the actions may be the same, but otherwise nothing else matches anymore.
  8. Smorcest Elector Eternal Battles Moderator

Getting kits and older models shouldn't be a problem with me, ebay and all. Im sad to hear they no longer play like black templars, but they still look like them from what I can tell. I will most likely still get a army of them just because I love their lore and look.
  9. Don't forget your HQ, usually a Captain/Marshal or Chapter Master/High Marshal.

Plus the BT chapter upgrade kit is still available from GW.
    https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Black-Templars-Chapter-Upgrade

[​IMG]

Enjoy!
  10. I find it odd the BT's have seem to fallen so out of favor at GW.

I still have my first rulebook I purchased for TT and it's got BT's on the cover being all "this is our shit, come at us bro".