Background Image

Are Assault Marines (Jump) even worth playing?

Discussion in 'Space Marines' started by Gamezdude, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Gamezdude Steam Early Access

Are Assault Marines (Jump) even worth playing?

Every time I play as one I get nothing done with them. I understand they have a limited lifespan due to being a shock troop. So I know they need to do as much damage in the shortest time possiable, powersword with extra damage is what I have.

Nope, I get kicked and am forced to duel (I try to flee but keep getting locked into combat) or I get wrecked by that blassed poison chainsword.
  2. Krayt Krayt Preacher

Melee in general isnt worth playing , but JPA is still more usefull than Ground assault
    normaly as JPA you should be able to not get locked into combat if u still have fuel
  3. SmurfKun Tamu Well-Known Member

1) The posion chainsword will wreak just about every one but the most skilled players
    2) I would focous 1st on increasing fuel and go in impact insted of damage
    3) its all either about slam down on enemies that cant melee back as well (tac's devs etc) or learn how to dash past or to the side of other melee classes so that after the 1st clang they are dbashing the front but you are allredy to the side/past them and thus not hit by dbash.
    4) pic of your loadout would be nice
    GrazewoundZeroLow likes this.
  4. Lord Ravagerx Deadknight Well-Known Member

in the past sure but now no

i kill 32 with jump assault 7 months ago but now bug feast (every slash i teleport)

shock troops that cannot hit enemies are dead troops
  5. Velenor Subordinate

I primarily play Eldar but from my experience in the current built, no. I think the developer want to encourage hit&run gamplay with them, but it just isnt worth it. Not as durable as tacticals, yet its riskier to both get in and out of combat. Clanging and getting Dbashed are essentially a death sentence and although the vertical mobility is nice, it doesnt make up for how much better ranged weapons are.
    LSM have a unique maul that does increased damage on heavy attacks. I use it a lot on my ground assault. It might be worth using that thing and ambushing player, using that vertical mobility to reach devestators and such. Besides that I don't really bother.
  6. 0strum 0strum Arkhona Vanguard

I had a lot of fun with a Raptor a while back. But now the servers really don't feel good. With JPAs in general being fragile, the unpredictable lag makes JPAs even more risky. I've given up on JPA for the moment.

Because JPAs are fragile and rely on mobility/speed, I recommend using swords rather than the slower weapons. The slower weapons are best reserved for ground assault classes because they are tankier.
  7. One of the main problems I have with JPA is the ridiculous mechanic where your 2nd, 3rd and/or 4th boost each boost your character an additional 2 to 3 millimeters higher. It's beyond comprehension.

Was watching Helsreach video number 9 on Youtube the other day, the part where the Stormboyz were attacking the top of the wall during the initial Ork assault. Imagine that, actual jump packs that propel jump troops high enough to get atop fortress walls.

While JPA and melee in general have a myriad of issues in EC the primary purpose of these types of troops to exist in the 40K universe is vertical envelopment. I.e. easily scaling high fortress walls and other types of otherwise "inaccessible" terrain. FFS BHVR can we at least do that one thing right?

Between the broken vertical boost achieved by each successive boost of the jump pack and the awkward, totally broken method of boosting out of a wall hang(turns you 180 degrees and moves you laterally instead of vertically) as well as the fact that we cannot regenerate fuel while wall hanging, the JPA in EC fails to perform their only reason to exist in the Warhammer 40,000 universe.
    Haldur and 0strum like this.
  8. Catnium Catnium Well-Known Member

Worth playing ?
    Yeah man !

Watch closely what i do with that nade and the auto cannon dude and show me 1 ground assault that can do those kinda moves with out either getting shot or blowing himself up as well.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GABp4-9m4bw

It's
    the moments like these that you live for as JPA.
    Lets go over the move set.

I appear out of nowhere using the cover to go vertically up the ramp from the side , engaged in combat.
    Once the 2nd guy showed up I found that i've overextended myself so I I-framed out of there.
    threw the nade
    in and flew back in to pin the guy in combat again preventing him from running away . his only option would be to combat roll right here which would not have mattered since he'd not roll far enough from the nade while in combat with me and he would have burned his stam charges for when the nade does explode... and simply flew out just before the nade exploded. I was counting down in my head.. he obviously wasn't.
    Schwifty likes this.
  9. Lord Ravagerx Deadknight Well-Known Member

i don't even understand why are flying troops are weaker that normal ground asssult ?

if balance

jpa have jump pack
    assault have shields
  10. Krayt Krayt Preacher

chaos have raptors , chaos dont have shields
    flying troops get a lot of iframes and mobility therefore reduced ehp