Background Image

AMA - Schizophrenia

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Pouncey, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Pouncey Pouncey Subordinate

Hey, everyone,

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2004, in a psychiatric hospital in Quebec, Canada.

Schizophrenia is a very misunderstood illness by a lot of people. So in the interest of sharing knowledge, I thought I'd just spend some time answering any questions you've ever had about schizophrenia.

And I figured I'd do it here, instead of a schizophrenia or mental health forum, because people on a schizophrenia board wouldn't benefit from an AMA thread about schizophrenia. So that's why I figured I'd do it here, where I can reach more people.

So, any questions about schizophrenia?
    hotpocketpotatopants likes this.
  2. Azunar, The Everchosen Azathoth Arkhona Vanguard

Do you hear literal voices?

If so, do you consider "them" to be alive or sentient, and what is it like sharing head-space with "them"?
  3. DongSlayer DongSlayer Steam Early Access

What is we all suffer from it and I am just "seeing" these threads.
  4. I don't have any questions, but I do have a lot of respect for you picking a place like this to talk about it. Good luck in your journey, Pouncey.
    TARINunit9 likes this.
  5. Pouncey Pouncey Subordinate

That's a very, very common misunderstanding about schizophrenia. Probably the most common and it's incredibly widespread and perpetuated by popular fiction (fiction involving schizophrenia and other mental illnesses almost always gets it massively wrong, and many depictions are so utterly inaccurate and offensive that I compare them to the racist Disney cartoons from the 1950s. The news also gets it wrong a hell of a lot). Schizophrenia does not involve multiple personalities whatsoever, that's a separate disorder called Dissociative Identity Disorder.

Hearing voices is literally hearing voices. The same way I hear anything else. Completely real, only no one else can hear them. I haven't had any auditory hallucinations in over a decade though. There were two kinds of voices I heard. One was a woman's voice, just speaking my name once. It would occur randomly once every few months. I recognized it as a hallucination when I went looking for who'd spoken and found nothing, but I figured that hallucinating must be normal since no one else I knew had complained about hallucinations. (should also mention that sometimes the ability to reason logically is damaged)

The other was a lot worse. It would happen a few times a week, late at night. It was about 5 voices, 4 male, 1 female. They sounded like they were outside on the sidewalk in front of the house. Each time, it was the same. They'd started out talking with each other, seeming like good friends. After a bit, the female would... look, I don't want to describe the whole thing in too much detail, let's just summarize it as she got raped by all four of them while they laughed and she screamed.

The statistics on schizophrenia frequency place it at less than 1% of humans. There's also more to it than hallucinations, and if everyone suffered from schizophrenia society would collapse very quickly because it is severely debilitating. Many schizophrenics end up either homeless or in prison, and a diagnosis of schizophrenia takes 10-25 years off your life expectancy. Schizophrenia is a shitshow of a disease, and some people, myself included, call it the mental illness version of cancer.

Places like this are where threads like this will do the most good. Forums dedicated to mental illness are populated exclusively with people who don't need an AMA on mental illness, and the people I'm trying to spread knowledge to wouldn't ever go to a forum about mental illness.

I'm very open about my mental illness problems, since I've never seen a reason to hide them. But when I did a thread like this on a different forum, a lot of mentally ill people would chime in just to thank me for making the thread and answering questions. A lot of mentally ill people feel like they have to hide it from everyone, or like they can't speak about it in public, but at the same time the ignorance and mistreatment is really quite bad (for really, really bad example, Autism Speaks is an organization that the public views as helpful for autistic people, but autistic people talk about them like they're PETA for autistic people instead of animals, and they describe what Autism Speaks does as kidnapping, torture and murder, because autistics are abducted from their homes, forced to endure extremely painful things under the guise of curing the issues autistics have (doesn't work, by the way), and sometimes even forced to undergo pseudoscientific experimental stuff that frequently results in death)