Background Image

Your Favourite Eldar Weapon

Discussion in 'Eldar' started by Joram, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Arvina Arvina Subordinate

Now there's a subject.

Having a guy wobbling on his feet for 5 seconds doing nothing while you beat the crap out of him without him falling over is a little..off-putting.
    I'd get fired within a week for not being consistent. :)
    Daemoneyes likes this.
  2. So'Kiel So-Kiel Well-Known Member

Yes, I know that. But as opposing to electricity, I thought "laser" is a rather precise simple description =D Everyone knows mandiblasters are shooting needles ;)
  3. Droguza Droguza Active Member

How about doing it for 12 seconds... Blinding him for 7 seconds, just staring at him while he is on 2% life. Before he breaks out of it, vanish... Hide in a corner for 1 1/2 minutes just to do the exact same thing to him again.

That sick behaviour is off-putting.

Unless you're doing it /smileyface
  4. Quothe Quothe Subordinate

For a full description of most of the effects of Eldar weaponry and wargear (particularly the holo suits and banshee masks) you really need to look back at the 2nd edition codex which was very fluff heavy. Some of that fluff has been changed and added to later which causes confusion and conflict when it is quoted out of context (the young king being a prime example), but in this case it is pretty good.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/122108894/Codex-Eldar-2nd-edition top of page 55

"This laser energy vaporises the tiny slivers of metal into plasma which rips straight into the target."

Personally I reckon that the writer (Rick Priestley) was probably using conduct in the sense of "to lead or guide something to a particular place" rather than in the electrical sense, but both ways can be made to work if you don't mind delving into wacky way out there science.

This conjunction of plasma and laser bears comparison to modern prototype Electrolasers like THIS beast which use a plasma channel to guide an electric charge to a target, they are real lightning guns :) So maybe the laser is guiding the needle plasma to it's target along a similar channel.

This has two problems as an explanation.
    1. It relies on there being an atmosphere for the laser to turn into a plasma channel and would be useless in low pressure conditions or a vacuum.
    2. This would involve the laser 'conducting' (guiding) the metal plasma, not the other way round as stated.

However the fact that Mandiblasters are specifically said to use metals is interesting since metallic plasmas are hardly ever seen (outside of using them to deposit atom thin layers of metal on another substance - called 'sputtering') due to the exceedingly high energies that are needed to turn the metal into a gas in the first place. So maybe there is a special property of metals which the Eldar are trying to exploit.

One possible explanation here is a surface effect in metals called a plasmon.
    This is an electrical excitation of the free electrons in the surface of the metal which acts a little like a wave/particle (kindof like the electrons doing a mexican wave) and can be coupled with a photon (light) by quantum effects allowing the metal to effectively 'conduct' a photon i.e. light energy.

It is a bit out there, but it may be that the Eldar have found a way to use an electron cloud surrounding a metallic plasma to conduct laser light in the form of a plasmon... literally a packet of laser energy.

So saying that the needles serve to conduct the laser energy may not be as daft as it sounds.

5. i haven't seen any discussions i could properly take part in so i've been scilent but i have been watching over all of you. i suppose it was quite appropriate considering my character.
    Rickmar likes this.
  6. i hope behavior include some different power weapons. instead of just power swords and spears i wish they have stuff like axes, scythes and maybe even a light mace or have gun mounted combat weapons. apparently in the days of old there was more variety and i just hope they bring it back.
    Daemoneyes and So'Kiel like this.
  7. GrimLord GrimLord Subordinate

I love Starcannons. Nothing better than a couple of those to make a Space Marine quiver in his ceramite boots
  8. Mandiblasters and Witchblades.
  9. Ladarious Ladarious Arkhona Vanguard

My favorite weapons, are the shadow weaver and doom weaver. Nothing says satisfying like a descending blanket of monofiliment wire into an Ork Waaagh. A friend of mine plays Orks and I'm really excited to test this, especially since with the new codex, units (Ork Boyz) with 2 or less initiative take more damage because they just sit there flailing in the cloud of monofiliment death. Also a pretty big fan of bright lances.

Melee weapon? Singing spear hands down.
  10. Strazon Strazon Subordinate

Good ole' fashioned avenger shuriken catapult. Honestly I am probably going to play an Ulthwe storm guardian the whole game. I don't really wan to progress beyond that, I like the idea of being the ground soldier that leaders can rely on in the field.
    So'Kiel likes this.