Background Image

Yet another Matchmaking Thread: Needs some smarts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Forj, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Forgrim Forj Battle-Skald

I realise there probably isn't resources to take action here, but so long as the player population is low, the matchmaker needs to be smarter than creating random matches and grabbing whatever people are available. I present to you Exhibit A, a Fortress Map where if the MM had looked at the available numbers before creating the match, would have realised that making it a Fortress was a stupid idea:

[​IMG]

And then there is Exhibit B, where if the MM had checked the available numbers, it would realise that a 15v15 match with one faction having 16 players would always result in one person left out for the duration of an entire match:

[​IMG]
    Slough_Monster, Bugz and Drakonite like this.
  2. Leroy Twizzlers DemonKingBAAL Steam Early Access

The fortress thing is a huge problem when it comes to late night queueing or even just queueing during offpeak hours. You sit in pretty long queues, and I'm not about to re-enable fortresses because of how the stupid gate tickets work right now. Fortresses really need to be downgraded in priority by the matchmaker somehow, someway, during offpeak hours.
  3. Krayt Krayt Preacher

They need to disable fortresses for some time , we dont have enough players to be able to have one fort running
  4. Eagle 11 Eagle_11 Well-Known Member

Yesterday spotted an 1 eldar vs 6 orks in a pegasus station match with 12 min elapsed. Every eldar else was busy in the 2 fortresses at the time, dat poor guy :EldarBanshee:
    Forj likes this.
  5. And then there is me who has Fortress disabled because i don't like the Meatgrinder-Game.
    Normally you play a game, and stay through to the next match. whenever i see a loading screen and check what happened it's fortress time.

And thats kinda... lame. Not enough people to field those
    Forj likes this.
  6. I've canceled ques pretty much every time a Fortress came up the last couple patches, ever since destroying the gate early became a liability really. Only time I really let it through was on defense when I was in the mood for an easy win. Wouldn't miss them in their current form.

As for Matchmaker, hell who knows, maybe there's a way to have it pick the larger maps in cases like this, 16 v 15 is better than 1 v Que Time. But then you're more likely to get a Fortress.
  7. Forgrim Forj Battle-Skald

I would miss Fortresses if they took them out of rotation, and from my reports quite a number of others would too. And they can happen properly even with low total population - in the same session last night I had a full Orks vs LSM Harkus.

What needs to happen is to have the MM take a look at the numbers in queue and choose the best set of maps to randomly select from, rather than us the whole set. Use rules like "Don't select Fortress where one side currently has less than X in the queue" and "Don't select 30 player maps where one side has less than Y in the queue"
    Bugz likes this.
  8. Razmirth Sneaky-krumpin Subordinate

Like last night after we all finished medusa or whatever. what a load of crap.

We actually (Leroy, a few others and myself) sat for 20 minutes plus waiting for fortress maps to end, only to have a new set of fortress maps come up.

I don't understand. When I first started playing in November, you'd see a fortress map like once a day. I used to play 15 matches a day roughly, so they were fairly rare. Now? Every other match is a fortress map. Ticket maps like zedek and magon are fine, but the fortress maps scare off a lot of players. I don't wanna dedicate 30 minutes to one map where, in all like hood, I'll probably lose unless I'm defending or running with a guild.

Fortress maps are fun if you can get a good guild vs guild match going , with 15 members plus on both side (rest pugs is fine). Then it becomes interesting. But usually, it's just people throwing themselves on foot into tunnels and walls, getting killed off one by one as they rush blindly onto the platform which carries them to a group of 6 guys waiting for them. The only class which escapes this is swooping Hawks, as I can get onto a wall without using tunnels or lifts at all. Just gotta be sneaky and know where to fly.
    Forj likes this.
  9. Forgrim Forj Battle-Skald

So much this. The players make these maps into a meatgrinder just as much as the format does, because they insist on beating their head against the same death-funnel. Most of the time it's not a meatgrinder for me, because I'm trying to find ways to avoid exactly that.
  10. Duximus Duximus Steam Early Access

well did they ever listen? throughout 2 years?
    LOBOTRONUS likes this.