Background Image

Why?

Discussion in 'Orks' started by Cegorach, Sep 29, 2015.

1. So I' ve got this habit of starting a thread in the Eldar part of the forum and then wanting more feedback from the other factions.

The question I asked them. I ask you?

Why?

Why this faction?

Why Orks? Are you Orkish in real life? What is it about them that makes you want to take to battle as one in this Eternal Crusade?

Hope for some interesting answers, debate and lore!
    Philos likes this.
  2. well to quote a philosopher from your chosen race;

"The Orks are the pinnacle of creation. For them, the great struggle is won. They have evolved a society which knows no stress or angst. Who are we to judge them? We Eldar who have failed, or the Humans, on the road to ruin in their turn? And why? Because we sought answers to questions that an Ork wouldn't even bother to ask! We see a culture that is strong and despise it as crude."

Orks are loud, crude, violent, and cartoonish villains. More than that they are the comic foil within 40k; they have an wonderful and ironic sense of humour and fun within the grim, dark, far future that is a prefect counterpoint to the seriousness of every other race. For me they are what always kept me coming back to GW, even with all its faults. They have been, and probably will always be, my favourite race of any sci fi setting.

I'm just gonna close with another quote, one of which I am sure you all know. It's from Rotgob, an Ork strategist and his words, I think, sum up my point perfectly;

Get 'em boyz!
    Dakka dakka dakka!
    WAAAGH! THE ORKS!
    WAAAGH!
    Brujah, thantrus, Abenobashi and 14 others like this.
  3. I love that post. Sums up Orks perfectly for me.

The Eldar are prideful. I know that. Much as I love them, they're smug, arrogant and humourless (well apart from my namesake and his sense of humour, like mine, is a tad askew)

The Imperium is austere and fascist.
    And Chaos is, well, Chaotic!

But I do have a soft spot for you green skinned gitz! ;)
  4. Here are two quotes that pretty much sum it up nicely.

"We don't fight fer food, or fer teef, or guns, or cos we's told to fight. We fight cos we woz born to fight. And win". - Grukk, Ork Boy

Orkz is made fer' two fings! Fightin', and winnin'! - Unknown Nob
    Traith, Abenobashi, HAXTC and 3 others like this.
  5. In the grim darkness of the far future there are a race of beings that treat it like a party

And those would be the Orks

I chose the Orks because they are fun incarnate

In a setting where war is the norm, the Orks are the only ones having a good time

To put it in more detail, the Orks have a certain charm to them.

I love their aesthetics basically being ramshackled slapped together pieces of nonsense that work just as well as other races technology. The sight of witnessing some of the technologically superior races struggling against a vehicle that looks like it would fall apart any second is amusing to me. What they do shouldn't work in any sense of the word logic, and yet it still does.

Their inane ability to just loot anything, stick a bunch of pointy bitz on it and take it for a ride is ingenious in its simplicity and ridiculousness. They blow up your tank, they fix up your tank, and then use it against you to blow up more of your tanks. A bastardized version of your tech is fighting against you, there is just a certain humor to that, and I can appreciate it. And besides just stealing other people's tech and modifying it for themselves the Orks are always trying out new shit to add to their ever expanding arsenal. They have their Meks building increasingly implausible and surprisingly innovative bits of weaponrary that even if it ends up failing and/or blowing up, everyone has a laugh about it anyway.

There's a lot of other things I could put on here, from their ridiculous cockney accents, their own version of logic, how believing something can work will make it work even if they don't conscioisly realize that's what's making it work, their sense of black humor, and them just doing what they believe is fun because they find it fun.

But simply: they're the comic relief to a setting full of serious. And they're still considered to be an actual threat to galactic stability. The Orks are just so overtop and crazy ridiculous in what they do, how they do it, and how it still works out for them that I found it impossible not to laugh. And in a setting full of grim dark, they're a breath of fresh air. They stand out so much in 40k and I love them for it.

It's just fun being an Ork.
    Brujah, bossaroo, Traith and 11 others like this.
  6. Gitwrekka Technovore Arkhona Vanguard

Orks are relatively more fun than the other playable factions. Sure those other factions have their badass things to them, but don't last forever, especially when GW is retconning all the cool bits.

Now if we had Tyranids as a playable faction...
  7. Koupa Coupaholic Subordinate

I think W40K has great factions across the board, but for me Orkz come out on top since their unique take on the classic greenskin character is most interesting. Their history, psychology, and zany characters are all good.

And they'll be free, which is a massive plus for gamers like me (cheap, in case you wonder).
  8. Because we are the comic relief of 40k.
  9. "WAAAAGH!!!" -Every Ork ever
  10. 'Cuz dey'z brutal an' kunnin'.