Background Image

Why do Ranged have the better Melee skill then melee classes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trooper909, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Melee is the most redeeming aspect of 40K combat as far as the lore, canon and as far as 40K's place in the sci fi video game genre. Almost every epic battle in EC boils down to a final, world ending melee.

A deep and immersive Melee experience is what SHOULD BE setting EC apart from all other video games on the market. Melee classes are what SHOULD BE the primary draw for EC much like Dark Souls, DS2, DSIII. Two handed melee, dual wielding, various styles and various forms of sword mastery. Multiple styles and various paths to choose from for melee combat.

So much potential going to waste so we can be a COD or Battlefield clone with a 40K skin. In those games melee is a sideshow and a mere inconvenience. Those type games are a dime a dozen. Those dime a dozen shooters cater to a "ho hum time to move onto the next shooter 6 months from now" crowd.
  2. Drake De Molina Drake_De_Molina Steam Early Access

At the range between you and a target after a D-Bash, pistol spread doesn't matter, it will be a HS. And any pistol is enough to down anyone (well... not really sure with the shuriken one, kek)
  3. Git Kwik GitGud Active Member

lets face it EC was doomed the moment they chose unreal engine and dropped planetside 2 as a template.
  4. Redthirst Redthirst Eternal Battles Moderator

And now melee players are whining to make melee OP again.

Only players that play both melee and ranged are silent.
    Atsidas likes this.
  5. Not true at all. Why do you blatantly lie? We want a balanced game thats fun for all archetypes. No single build or archetype should totally dominate. Stop stirring up hate and discontent by spreading lies and falsehoods. Be part of the solution instead of the problem.
  6. Redthirst Redthirst Eternal Battles Moderator

All I'm saying is that a lot of melee players, including you, heavily overreact about the whole issue. Just how ranged players used to overreact back when the system was broken in the opposite direction.

Is melee too weak right now? Yes, surely.

Is it as weak as some players try to present(i.e being nearly useless)? No, not at all.

Melee needs minor buffs. If they buff it too hard we're back to where we started - one way of combat is superior to the other.

Which is why I would prefer devs to take on IceFrog's way of balancing - make minor changes and see how it goes, instead of doing large changes that most of the time aren't needed.

They can start by reducing durability of knives. If there's still imbalance, something else(like Dbash duration) can be tweaked. And so on until we get to the point where both melee and ranged are mostly balanced.
  7. It was so doomed that about a year later you're still here, and it's not looking like you're here to light a candle.

Also planetside 2 is still the only open world multiplayer shooter engine and exclusively available to Sony Online Entertainment (probably Daybreak Game Company now, dunno), it's not like they could choose between PS2 and Unreal engine (not even close to). Just get over it already...
    Monk1971 likes this.
  8. Khornatian Khornatian Steam Early Access

Only melee classes that I would deem 'weak' are the groundassaults right now. JPA's work splendidly so long as they aren't used in massive numbers and work in tandem with tactical equivalents and supports, as they can dish out supreme amounts of disruption while retaining a high degree of assassination-potential, especially against devastator equivalents.

Shieldbearing Groundassaults sort of have a niche they can fill that no one else can, though they sacrifice flexibility for it. Khornate TAs, when loaded up on stamina gear, can fill the niche of JPAs in terms of disruption, though they have no ability to escape if they make even a slight error in judgement. Howling Banshees are rather capable debuffers and can dish out great amounts of damage in several ways, paying for it in raw durability, which I personally find fair. Striking Scorpion is doing pretty well in this meta.

Unfortunately, the LSM Best-Bro, Pistol-Choppa Slugga and mundane TA's seem to not really have much going for them, as their killing power and disruption potential are done better by others. This upsets me, as I love the iconic Pistol + Melee Weapon playstyle.
  9. Rathael Rathael Arkhona Vanguard

I'm not quite sure I'd agree you can "easily" go toe-toe-toe with a knife only. If the ability to fire ranged weapons after Dbash is nerfed down, I can see melee classes dominating a little too hard again.

Against a competent melee player, using an impact mod on the melee weapon in particular, you will only be able to last 2 or 3 trades at most. If you are exclusively using the knife, you will probably not be able to kill them before your durability runs out unless they are taking damage from another source (or are previously injured). For this reason, I think knives are significantly underpowered. You have absolutely zero chance of standing up to an impact mace or axe, because they will break you in a couple of trades.

I am strongly of the opinion that the reason melee is so frustrating right now is because of the sheer length of melee stuns. The bash stun is pretty much the same length as the TTK of most weapons in the game, more or less. If this were shortened enough to only allow a single melee fast attack through, the amount of ranged damage a ranged class could do before the stun runs out would be extremely limited.

In the scenario described above, where it's no longer possible to just shoot someone to death due to long melee stuns, knives would fall off considerably. Knives are in need of a slight durability buff, in my opinion, in order for ranged classes to stand a fair chance in melee once the Dbash & gunfire strategy is brought in-line.
  10. Atsidas Atsidas First Blood!

there's little to be done in trying to appeal to their meme-tier empty arguments, friend

its been said time and time and time again that you can perform very very well as a melee class, its been shown again and again with proof of that as well

but do they listen? no, instead they call you a liar or proudly exclaim how their ignore lists grow larger every day, or use ad reductio absurdum, ad hominem, hyperbole, and goalpost moving to make poorly crafted and incredibly flimsy "arguments"
    TheAngryDoge likes this.