Background Image

Why do Elites require 2 credit purchases or over-buying?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShadowMage, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Because they want money, I mean it IS an entirely new model at least. It wasn't just new shoulderpads or something.

People can pay this much for legendary skins in LoL and that model is tiny heh.
    Ilseum and Utherix like this.
  2. ShadowMage ShadowMage Active Member

I thought Legendaries were only $15 (Edit: They are only ~13-14 dollars, so not even 15). At least I'm pretty sure they were when I played. And even then, that came with a super amped-up model, reworked audio, over-the-top particle effects, and sometimes some other bonuses too!
    In this game, $25 gets you a model and some tech advanced early?
  3. For reference from other F2P games.....

Warframe's credit packs are designed so you have to buy up the next tier to get a lot of the pricier items, they're priced just above what you can get with the cheapest packs. You can buy multiple small packs and get less credits but for slightly less money, or buy a bigger pack for more money and have credits left over.

In PoE it works about the same, things are priced so you can't just efficiently buy the smallest packs multiple times to get what you want, it's less efficient than buying a larger back. In that game a full set of cosmetic microtransactions for every piece of gear on your character will run you between $30 for the basic ones, up to $80 for the newest, shiniest thing they've made.

It kind of sucks but it's reality for F2P games: if they didn't charge you top dollar for some things, everyone would buy out everything and say "I have nothing to look to so I can give you guys money." This is where EC is at right now. If they charge a lot for cosmetics then yes, fewer people will buy due to the price except the truly dedicated, but when they do buy BHVR will make more significant revenue.

If EC had a large range of customization options, then the price range could be a lot broader to accommodate different people's wallet sizes. But because it has relatively few, the range seems quite narrow.

Bottomline, F2P games need whales and so there have to be things priced at "whale levels." Unless you have tons of new players coming in and buying up all the cheap MTX, you need players making big purchases. Making stuff cheap for a playerbase that isn't changing in size very often means your revenue doesn't really grow, it stays at a fixed rate.
    ChicagoTed likes this.
  4. I. Macha jassz Firebrand

Why does the MK III chest cost $10? Not defending it but the $25 for a whole character skin is in line with the current pricing.
  5. ShadowMage ShadowMage Active Member

The issue I have with $25 is that you're getting 1 thing. Like, literally one thing. If you were getting a melee skin, two shoulder skins, a backpack skin, a custom head, etc. etc. etc. Hot damn, I would jump on that so fast.
    But I'm essentially paying for 1 skin that locked to a unmodifiable loadout that I will probably never use because I'll unlock the cloaking in like 3 days and make a load out I like more and just play with that.
    So.. meh...

It's paying more for something I'll use less.
    Brother_Nemiel likes this.
  6. Catnium Catnium Well-Known Member

Agreed 25 bucks for a skin is not how f2p works .. its how f2p fails
    this should be a tenner max

no its not because its a skin locked to 1 elite class that has only 1 life per game
    whereas the 10 bucks mkIII chest can be used in all my loadouts all of the time . so it's essentially cheaper AND better value for money. ( and i already think 10 euro's is way to overpriced for a shitty mkIII replica tbh)
    Brother_Nemiel likes this.
  7. Viking Vking Arkhona Vanguard

then... don't buy it?
  8. ShadowMage ShadowMage Active Member

Don't worry, I'm not.

But I'm both concerned and a bit insulted about how this elite class was handled. I want to support this game and see it succeed. But when there are there are skins that severely limit your loadout being sold for $25, it's hard to see either of those things happening.
  9. The price was 25k RTC since forever. Even with the RTS on the website i bought the fallen captain for 25k RTC
  10. Cabal Trainee CabalTrainee Arkhona Vanguard

Why would you want to buy it anyway? You can get the stealth mechanic in the advancements. And if you use it from there you can actually customize the class. The Bought Kommando is inferior.