Background Image

Why Can't I Kill Anything with a Bolter?

Discussion in 'Space Marines' started by Protilious, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Nordic Nomad Nordic-Nomad Drill Abbott

I agree.
    Plus make sure you are grabbing talents under "Advancements" to help with things like LP so you can carry upgraded passive buff, and try shorter bursts to keep the spread down. Unless you're within 5 meters never full auto.

Eldar tend to have a slight edge or so it would seem but that its only because of the speed that it fires not actually accuracy.

Also use Req points to get higher quality gear. The 30k drop box gets the highest quality gear but its all RNG so can be frustrating if you are focusing on just one type of build.

Either way don't give up, and if you aren't having fun, or start getting mad just walk away for a bit. Sometimes it's just how we react to a given situation that can effect in game performance.

All in all, everything that has been suggested here seems to be pretty positive and worth a shot.

Happy hunting.
    Protilious likes this.
  2. FIREston JimFireston First Blood!

Heresy! Standard bolter for the win anyday. Simple, Cheap and devastating. 300 hrs here of using a standard bolter and lemme tell you. Ya buddy it works and it works well. Multiple commendations and first place 9/10 games. The bolter is a blessing but you should also bless your bolter.

Pray to the machine spirit...
    *Bless Before Each Use*

Adamantium Bolter(or any standard bolter) + CQC Barrel + Textured Grip + AP Ammo Or Drum Mag(depending on enemy faction/ skill level)

I usually have 2 tacticals and a wolf priest carrying those loadouts. 1 Tactical carries the AP and the other tactical carries the drum mag. If things are going to easy I usually switch to the drum mag (90% of all my kills are hip firing so its extremely easy to hip fire and mow down mobs of enemies with a drum mag) but then again its just as easy with AP ammo too. Have a class for both and you decide which you like but these mods are preferable even though you can put other things on it.

and you will be smiling all the way to the wolf time where all wrongs shall be redressed.
  3. Catnium Catnium Well-Known Member

Aim for the head it does more damage ..
    and stop playing games if your ping is 150.. actually dont play games at all if your ping is over 70..
    at 150 ping you have 0.15 seconds delay on top of the usual delay every game has because of client to client to server communication and factoring client /server side hit detection you are in reality looking at close to half a second difference between ur actions and those of the opponent .... no wonder you are losing
  4. Tuggers Tugnut Member

Best gun in the game ;) get upgrades on it (dont run upgrades on my APO bolter but it still does great).... get them aiming skills down... dont spray and pray.
  5. Judasilfarion Silfarion Drill Abbott

I get between 100-200 ping and I regularly top the scoreboard. And I've been regularly topping it since closed alpha. So ping is not a big issue
    Anthrillien, Forj and Whitefox550 like this.
  6. Prot Protilious Recruit

I come from an era of Unreal Tournament and had higher pings back in the day even before ADSL. I'm on fiber now but some of these servers give me really poor ping. In the 'ol' days' I could do quite well with a shock rifle at 200~ ping. I just don't know if something has changed with this engine or not...
  7. Chewdakka Regz First Blood!

I find this incredibly difficult to believe.

I dont know anyone who even bothered to play Unreal Tournament at 200 ping - there werent many servers that would allow it for one. I used to play UT 99 and UT2k4 at 40-60 ping regularly and dominated with a shock rifle.

I also find it difficult to believe that someone who had that kind of ping could use a weapon like that proficiently yet has a problem aiming a bolter in this game at half that ping AND with mechanics which help you to negate poor ping.

I think either your hands dropped off and you now have to use your feet, or you are "remembering" things differently to how I do.
  8. RageScreama RageScreama Well-Known Member

I noticed no one asked if the OP is firing in full auto or single shot/burst. If you leave it in full auto and fire click shots instead of holding the lmb down to fire you get way better accuracy and can make almost every shot a head shot up to a point.
    Protilious and KorgasTheReforged like this.
  9. Xarl Uthullun Amdusias New Member

Try to aim at neck/high chest if you're not feeling confident about your head aim. That way, your spread is more likely to naturally hit body and you can easily walk up to head if your target becomes harder to hit. Plus if they A-D-Crouch spam (which they should be doing), they're more likely to duck into your fire. I also use pretty low sensitivity and it helps me for precision and tracking. I have it set up so that about a 10" movement across my mouse pad results in a 360 degree turn. Don't go purely for headshots, cause that's gonna results in the most misses - it's the smallest target on an enemy's body. Your ping is gonna make it hard for sure, though.
  10. Konoko Konok0 Arch-Cardinal

bolter......

and bolter..................

and more bolter..................................