Background Image

Which storm bolter?

Discussion in 'Space Marines' started by Avlaen, May 16, 2017.

?

Which storm bolter

1. Vengence

2. Master crafted

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Avlaen Avlaen Arkhona Vanguard

Vengence or mastercrafted? what do you prefer, i n just got the vengence and noticed it didnt have the master crafted recoil/spread bonus.

is the 110 pen enough to change how fast it kills?
  2. CMDante CMDante Arkhona Vanguard

It used to get loads of bitching, I think generally 110 pen doesn't amount to much.
  3. Xio Valency Xi0 Preacher

Vengeance was op because back in the day it negated most 400lp Eldar armour for 25% of the cost which made it very strong

These days I say it's a meh side grade, the pen is more of a buff for distance shots more than anything, the boltor just outshines it that much, so I'd say MC SB due to better accuracy although I still think the normal one is superior due to price.
  4. 110 is only good with players who have low toughness. Less spread is good on anything. I'd go with master crafted.
  5. CMDante CMDante Arkhona Vanguard

For my money I don't think the stormbolter is very good in the first place. Certaibly not for double the price of a bolter. If it was 300, maybe.
  6. Avlaen Avlaen Arkhona Vanguard

i only take the storm bolter when breaching rooms or when the enemy has tickets as the higher DPS lets me kill them fully faster.
  7. CMDante CMDante Arkhona Vanguard

I can see that. I tend to do better shooting for the head with my regular bolter, so I just, do that.
  8. PurpleHaze PrplHze Steam Early Access

For the longest time i used a stormbolter, but same for me...as well. I just go with optimal bolter, and swear by the MC or gilded, something about the double grip affect makes it to good, when the storm is just a bullet hose for 3-4seconds. But as a rule, i still go for Pen even on my bolter,...so id still prolly go Veng just because of that personaly
  9. Imperator5 Imperator5 Well-Known Member

I have been having a blast with the regular storm bolter, even if it is so expensive.

If you are LSM, you are perceived to be a braindead moron or a bolter camper so if you get a strom bolter and just flank the enemy while hosing them down is usually a nasty surprise.

I play in a more eldar fashion, jinking around and trying to be a hard target first priority, hitting the enemy the second priority. Since I can hose them down very well with less aiming, this works surprisingly well.

This won't allow you to clean a room against professionals, but against regular pugs it can be devastating. When the rest attacks a point from one side, I run to the other side, step in and start hosing the enemy in bolter fire.

They get confused, and I have managed to take as many as 3 down at times before they can react. Even if this fails, I retreat to harass or die trying, I have distracted the enemy so now my frontal attacking brothers have been given an extra advantage. If I manage to survive, I can repeat it and keep the enemy unfocused. This is what happens most, though sometimes I do die to a good counter attack or actually wipe them out myself.
  10. Raptorian Recruit

I avoid MC like the plague as I know it's a trap, but even then these options pale in comparison to the Magnificent Combo Bolter or even the Big Shoota. Like above yes I also have gotten triple kills with a single mag by shooting them in the flank, but it's not exactly the kind of weapon I'd bring to a standard gunfight. Too inaccurate, too small a magazine, 110p is nice but not enough to be in the forefront of my mind come loadout selection at the start of the game. No option to turn it into a giant pistol ala DOW2 either.