Background Image

Which Bolter Ammo Mod Do You Like To Use?

Discussion in 'Space Marines' started by acepost, Jun 22, 2017.

1. BaronXIII Arkhona Vanguard

Fair enough. Like I said, Blaze rounds are better the vast majority of the time. The only time AP rounds have a bit of an edge is those situations when you and an enemy start a shootout at the same time, face to face at point blank, probably in an ADAD spamfest, and the battle is going to be decided before anyone ducks away/disengages. And that's only because those battles are usually over in 2 seconds anyways and the Blaze ammo damage can't kick in. I mean...sure it may kill the guy who killed you due to the DoT, but the AP rounds will get the damage out on the enemy while you're still alive and might save you. But only in that extreme situation.
  2. Catnium Catnium Well-Known Member

Ok humor me with this and let's do a little thought experiment.
    We might both have a point depending on the situation we are in.
    The numbers might not be completely accurate so give or take a few hundredths of a point here and there.
    Since I have no calculator at hand and i'm lazy.

You fire a flame round
    It does its damage
    lets asume 41 for cqc barrel
    it than ticks for 10 additional damage
    the 41 damage from the bolter gets reduced by the targets toughness.
    let's assume 160T so the bullet ends up doing about 30 damage
    the fire still does 10 because it's not affected by T
    in total you would have done 40 damage

now we shoot with AP ammo
    again we do 41 damage
    now the T is 150 because of the AP ammo
    So we end up doing about 32 damage

As we can see despite the delay the Flame ammo already does the same amount of bonus damage as about 5 shots of AP ammo would have done.
    now the question becomes at what point in time does the AP ammo start doing more damage than the flame round thanks to the delay of the burn on consecutive shots? if that even is a thing.
    Why consecutive shots ? well since a bolter fires at 333 RPM and the burn can not tick that fast it basicly stores charges and applies them over time up to a maximum amount of charges stored over a maximum amount of time allowed to stack( the burn debuff)
    still with me ? its a bid vague but it is what it is.
    Anyways this means you can only have a certain finite amount of max damage stored into the burn dot. any hits during this time will actually lose you damage.
    but this is very extreme . you will almost always miss a few shots here and there in a usual duel.
    and you probably won't be firing in full auto either if you're going for more aimed shots.

Now if we look at head shots the numbers change.
    you'd do 64 damage with Ap rounds and 70 with flame ammo.
    Flame ammo still wins but with a much lower margin.
    This might be enough to get to some point in time where AP ammo might overtake Flame ammo noticeably sooner if that even is the case ( we still haven't proven it does actually , but lets assume it does for the sake of the conversation)
    you need to fire 2 and a half rounds to equal the damage of a single flame round by which time the flame round would have had time to stack 2 and a half damage ticks of flame damage but we can't fire 2 and a half rounds so we are actually looking at 3 rounds being applied.

And in order to kill the target sooner with AP than with Flame you'd have to basically over take the flame dot damage ticks by raw RPM and hit accuracy before the target actually dies to the amount of damage the flame ammo would have done more than the ap ammo during the start of the duel.

What it basically comes down to is that despite the burn delay the upfront damage of the burn is already 5x that of ap rounds. and at least 2.5 times that of AP rounds when looking at headshots.
    Flame ammo is giving ap ammo a good run for its money already being 30 damage ahead of AP rounds in potential damage.

So in your situation you might come out better even with flame ammo., just because you might not have 100% accuracy and 100% headshot hit rates.

What are your thoughts?
  3. 60 round drum. It's an extra 2-3 kills.
  4. Proteus Lychoro ProteusVM Forum Beta Tester

anything but drum mag is a bad meme

AP mag takes shots to kill down by 1 if the target has 140+ toughness, otherwise its worthless.
    inferno bolts are overpriced dogshit and only available on vets, so eh, dont bother.

better to learn to aim and use CQB barrel + drum mag to kill everything because bE can't balance equipment mods.
  5. acepost acepost Active Member

Now that Tabletop 8th Edition is out, maybe a new mod or weapon to make Bolt Rifles a new thing should happen? Would be cool to have a Bolt Rifle now that it is official.
    ProteusVM likes this.
  6. Kulminax Recruit

I use CQC, textured grip, and either AP, blazing or drum depending on who I'm up against.

CQC gives added DPS with little drawback. If you are at mid-long range I would suggest using the Stalker Bolter (no scope for mid, scope for long),

Textured grip lowers ADS, which is the only thing I cannot mitigate with recoil control, controlled bursts, etc.

AP (or blazing for vets, I find them very similar) I use when fighting pre-made groups or better players; I use the drum for everything else.

Edit: Also, for attacking I load double nades, for D I use the drone. Nades are super useful. I use them basically for AOE shotgun blasts or supressing balcony fire. You can also use them to push your enemies where you want them to go... Throw it to the left around a box then pre-target the right side for example.