Background Image

Where would Warhammer/40k be right now if GW said yes to Blizz?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Dreadspectre, Jun 5, 2017.

1. A discussion on the HOTS forums made me think about this.

Where do you think Warhammer/40k as franchises would be right now if all those years ago GW said yes to Blizzard making an RTS based on Warhammer(now Warcraft) which would have also led them to making what is now StarCraft a 40k RTS?

Would we be bigger? Would it have succeeded? Would it have done worse and the reason WC/SC succeeded was because of Blizzards take on things?(Notably more humor/pop culture references etc).

We could have even had a Warhammer movie instead of a Warcraft one. :eek:

What do you guys think?
  2. Lerdoc Katitof Well-Known Member

Would have nice cut scenes and horribly shallow gameplay which would cater exclusively to casuals with PEGI12 rating, so more casuals can play.

Comparing Relic games to Blizzard games, especially RTS, I'm fucking glad GW said no to blizzard back then, but blizzard surely would be able to pull better MMO then Mythic did, however with graphics of the time, I don't know if I would be satisfied with that.
    BrotherShrimp likes this.
  3. Unbiased Unbias3d Steam Early Access

I think the fact that GW said no in the first place is a pretty good answer to this question.

It probably would have been awful anyway.
  4. Well we have to think though, even if GW had said yes it doesn't mean we would have gotten a WC style game.

GW would have said no to humor most likely, more grim dark etc etc. It may have come out different but still with the level of polish that comes with Blizz games(Vanilla D3 aside heh).
  5. Well instead of World of Warcraft it would probably be World of Warhammer!
  6. Xio Valency Xi0 Preacher

Well I got Warhammer fantasy cosmetics in Dota 2 so it can't be that different for me;)
    God I wanted that witchhunter Kunkka set
  7. RageScreama RageScreama Well-Known Member

Well based on how blizz does things...not well. Neither company is exactly hitting high notes anymore for game design if you ask me. They both seem to have forgotten that games are supposed to primarily be about fun first. You make an amazing game and the $ follows. Hell WoW is still riding its success from vanilla and burning crusade if you ask me. I think they both need to knuckle down, focus on quality, and take a few profit hits to regain their goodwill and relearn what it should be to be a game company. Almost ever game xeveloper out there needs to relearn that.

Remember when DLC was called a patch?
  8. Warhammer 40k: Kung Foo Panda Crusade
  9. SmurfKun Tamu Well-Known Member