Background Image

What Is Combat Like In Eternal Crusade?

Discussion in 'Ask the Team' started by BrentEllison, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Batpimp Batpimp Moderator

my question is along the same lines. Do you plan for the player who is executing to receive reduced dmg and/or be healed during the process? The risk to even enter melee combat seems much more difficult than to stay at ranged at all times.
  2. Brent Ellison BrentEllison Former Lead Game Designer

Basically when someone hits 0 health, they don't die, they just start bleeding out. You can help friendlies stand up and they come back with a little health, or you can execute your enemies to make sure they don't come back. For that, you get a little extra XP plus you get to deliver a violent death.

Both actions take time and can be interrupted so it's a risk. Certain characters are be better at rescuing friendlies than others and psychic powers affect this as well. In order to make this system less tedious for the victims, if you know you're not going to be rescued, you can hold a key/button to speed your bleedout.

This is what's in the game right now, but of course it's pending continual testing! In addition to the fun of personally executing your foes, what it really adds to the game is an extra layer of brutality to the battlefield. Not only do you see people standing around chopping and shooting at each other, but marines are mounting downed opponents and hacking them to pieces, picking them up and chopping them in half, etc. It really helps make things feel more like medieval war than the usual bloodless sci-fi massive combat.
    Rikamar, Unconquered, Beast and 7 others like this.
  3. Brent Ellison BrentEllison Former Lead Game Designer

If you want, you can shoot a downed character to death, blow them up with a grenade, etc., instead of executing them, but you don't get anything special out of it. We want to reward players that get their hands dirty, so this includes XP and a rage system that we're looking into to reward players with one-offs or bonuses for performing certain actions. In that case, executions would be just one of the potential rage-increasers that you could spec into.
  4. id like to know if you can have a ranged weapon and melee weapon in hand?
    Like customize your SM's/CSM terminators to have an their autocannons/assault cannon and have a power fist or lightning claw in the other hand?So they'r not completely defenseless if some one was to engage them in melee like a player or npc in dungeons .
    Same goes with a melee class would you be able to customize them to be dual wield or have some sort of ranged weapon in the other hand ? So if they cant close the gap with the enemy due to heavy fire they wont rendered utterly useless?

Now on to dungeons! Will you have the option to solo dungeons if your unable to form a group of buddies or is there going to be some sort LFG like in WOW for example? Or if you aren't willing to pair with a group you can just truck the dungeon by your self?
    1. Loot: I'm a looter i'm a FIEND! for the shiny loot! even if i'm chaos i cant help but feed my hunger for looting in a dungeon. XD
    2. Will there be some sort of looting system in it? like set class specific drops so you don't come across some thing that doesn't fit your skill set?
    3. Ninja looters: Every one hates em will there be some sort of mechanic to stop them from taking your loot and running off ? because that'll be great.
    4. fighting over the loot: Will players have fight over loot? because i hated when i played WOW and i ran a few dungeons and some times ended up with no loot at all because some one gets the higher loot roll:/ will there be some sort of thing that will make it so every one get a fair cut of loot or no?

:oops: Also will reaper autocannons available for CSM? I love reaper autocannons please let there be reaper autocannons...
  5. Brent Ellison BrentEllison Former Lead Game Designer

The game is basically built around everyone having ranged and melee weapons at the ready at the same time. Having only ranged (like heavy weapons) or only melee (like dual lightning claws) are the special circumstances.

Dungeons questions - should be in a different thread! But in general loot will not be handled anything at all like WoW. We want to push all itemized reward systems to the end of any activity, so you sort your rewards at the end of a dungeon, at the end of a sustained offensive or defensive, etc.

And yes to Reaper Autocannons. Of course!
    Rikamar, Casavay, Ragansi and 7 others like this.
  6. Oh man you have no idea how much you just made my day right now thank you!
  7. Batpimp Batpimp Moderator

thanks brent for taking the time to answer our questions. I am eager to see how executions work out.
  8. Lutherian Lutherian Subordinate

im eager to see how you will balance some tech options while still retaining lore coherency.

an imperial plasma gun would be the ultimate alround weapon for example, albeit the overheating and small clip. how would you balance that against a bolter tactical marine?

some weapons in 40k are flat out better than others no matter what.
  9. Brent Ellison BrentEllison Former Lead Game Designer

Updated the original post to include some of these extra details.

When it comes to the big weapons, we have to approach them from two perspectives. One is to emphasize the drawbacks and specialties of the weapon in order to make it not automatically better in all circumstances (like in Space Marine), and the other is to have some of extra cost applied to equipping them. If you put a plasma gun into your loadout, you may not have room for other things you might want.
    Unconquered, Hudson and Grigdusher like this.
  10. Warpman Warpman Subordinate

So basically it's "fight for your life" mode from GW2
    Well, that's a start.
    I presume Apothecaries and the like are the ones who do it better and faster

Will there be GW2-styled finishers that are cosmetically and\or different in execution?