Background Image

What exactly is the problem why bE can't introduce flamers?

Discussion in 'Ask the Team' started by Zael, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Zael Zael Well-Known Member

I faintly remember it's a graphics-problem, is that correct?

Or is the problem how to program a bendy, moving flamethrower-stream? (Because I just got an idea how to do that by modifying the Melta.)

Or is it as mundane as lack of time and money?
    Njord-Halfhand and LOBOTRONUS like this.
  2. Nudu Nudu First Blood!

It crashed the servers, that's about it.
  3. Zael Zael Well-Known Member

As hard as I try, I simply cannot imagine a more useless answer than that.
    LOBOTRONUS likes this.
  4. 0strum 0strum Arkhona Vanguard

Graphics alone could be done on the client's end with no additional burden to the server. The thing is that unlike meltas, flamers are more akin to 20th century flamethrowers, they squirt burning liquid which then stays there as a source of damage for a certain amount of time. Thus, the bendy stream is only one part of the equation. The burning puddle of promethium, its location, its size and therefore it's duration and the intensity of its heat would all have to be calculated as well.

I guess the latter part would work similar to the Painboyz' chemical weapons, but with varying shape, duration and intensity, depending on how long the user squirts his hot juice at a particular location. Maybe that was just too much of a hassle to program, back when the developers were actually considering it.
  5. Zael Zael Well-Known Member

Burning puddle? Flamers do not produce flaming puddles in WH40k. Not in the Tabletop and AFAIR not in the novels. Burning promethium sticking to people, Yes, but not sticking to the ground or walls.

And for the "staying" efect, that's why we have burn-damage affliction.

Personally, I would be happy with a "bendy" version of the Melta that does next-to-no damage to vehicles and moderate damage to infantry. I don't need burning puddles.
    (Oh, I can hear voices from the future: "Stop shooting with flamers into melee!")
  6. XavierLight XavierLight Well-Known Member

I'd love to see Flamers added, even if they ended up being added as a PvE only weapon for each Faction.
    LOBOTRONUS and Corie like this.
  7. Burna Boyz is 'ere!
    LOBOTRONUS likes this.
  8. Lootmasta Kaptin_Pokkets Arkhona Vanguard

Flamers didn't really crash the servers, but they DID slow the game down massively. Something about the game trying to process the particle effects causing extreme slowdown. Still dumb, but what did you expect?
    Talron likes this.
  9. Battlefield 1 has flame tanks and a "hero" type flame thrower troop. There can be 2 or 3 flame tanks up and running and a flame troop for either side at any given time. It can be done in a 32 vs 32 setting on maps much, MUCH larger than anything we see in Eternal Crusade. How is it possible in that setting but not in EC?

Limit the flame unit to a hero or elite then we dont end up with 10 to 20 flamer troops running around at any given time.
  10. It's going to be limited to Deimos and Baal Predators, whenever they feel like showing up.