Background Image

What can/cant be done in the community workshop

Discussion in 'Ask the Team' started by Rheeva, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Covi Doomness1000 Recruit

Tis a shame that's the way things are. I mean, if the expansion was free (but the kickstarter still had rewards like weapon skins or aesthetic parts that could only be gotten via the kickstarter) it is sad that people would be upset that others are investing their money. I mean, I do see the imminent "How dare they ask for more when I already bought the game!" coming if a kickstarter was started. But its a shame. :(

I'd personally love to back a kickstarter to pump more funds into the game development and get an expansion funded and moving faster. Especially if it had some really sweet aesthetics or hero classes. But sadly a kickstarter would probably hurt the reviews and we need some good reviews to get past all the negative "this isn't what Miguel over-promised years ago" reviews.

Idk, maybe it would be beneficial to make a thread/poll asking the playerbase if they'd support a kickstarter or if they'd rage about it. Though it might be a better idea for a player to post the thread than a dev. Otherwise the ragers would use the mere post by a dev as a reason to rage and negatively review.
  2. Best to put polls on Steam forums instead of here. This place mostly consists of only a small portion of the playerbase and is not representative of the views and opinions of the larger crowd. (Even though alot of people here think we do)
    Doomness1000 likes this.
  3. Nathan Richardsson Oveur Senior Producer

Oh, I have ample angles and unique rewards which you get all as a backer.

I mean, besides the obvious part which is RTC versions of cosmetics that are always just part of the process all being included, we'd do a special version for backers of that version, only available in the backer.

The expansion itself, as always, would be free for all players as a result.
    Doomness1000 likes this.
  4. Nathan Richardsson Oveur Senior Producer

Which is why Steam News is our official news feed. The traffic between the forums, the general site here and on Steam isn't even remotely comparable.

That being said, the signal-to-noise ratio on Steam is just horrid.
    Doomness1000 and Deathwish like this.
  5. Covi Doomness1000 Recruit

So... might we be getting to kickstart an expansion then?

I don't know what kind of capital a new publisher might put into the game, nor the returns they expect. But a lot of people in these forums don't seem to like most publishers in general because of what they usually seem to ask of the game (there do seem to be some notable exceptions). I wonder if spinning a kickstarter or go-fund-me or something as a "crowdsourced publisher" might get a better reception. Kind of a "we need the funds from a publisher but we don't want our hands tied by people who don't play the game." Just a thought, that might go over well.

I mean, you'd have to do your own advertising because you wouldn't have a publisher to do that now. So there would be that too. Idk, just a thought.
  6. Like I said a while back; gimmie money and stay the hell out of the creative process.
  7. Nathan Richardsson Oveur Senior Producer

You actually know someone that likes publishers? (just kidding)

We already have to do our own advertising, which means we're not doing advertising, as we spend all our revenue for development. 30% of revenue go to Steam, taxes and whatnot.

But yeah, I already have a lot of options, I'm just pondering a setup which hits all the pros without kicking in too many cons. I just need to refresh that work and see what's out there.

Still looking for a partner, and no, they aren't all bad.
    Doomness1000 and Gashmangla like this.