Background Image

Wh40k Rp Tools + Casual Rp Tips

Discussion in 'Role Playing' started by Uriel1339, Jan 22, 2015.

1. The Mechanicus is not part of the Imperium of Mankind, only allied.
  2. Uriel1339 Uriel1339 Lord of Posts

They have a High Lords of Terra seat. Despite it being just 'an alliance', I consider it pretty much they belong to the faction. Politically they are allies. In fact, the Mechanicus belongs to the Imperium.

Just like Rogue Traders :p If we even look closely into certain details, then all just comes more and more out of it. Techmarines for example. They are first and foremost Astartes and therefore Imperialists, not Mechanicus members - that is just third-ranked (after being member of the chapter).

Once again in the end it all falls into perception. But to me they are they all are IoM, no matter what treaties and papers say.

EDIT:

The Inquisition is more of an own faction than the Adeptus Mechanicus :p

[​IMG]

Edit #2 English Lexicanm even starts with this:

Overview
    While the Adeptus Mechanicus is a part of the Imperium, it has developed separately and enjoys a considerable degree of independence. Due to the great amount of power it wields, the Adeptus Mechanicus could almost be compared to be like an allied empire, rather than an organisation within the Imperium. The Adeptus Mechanicus also follows a different religion from the rest of the Imperium. The religion and religious structure of the Adeptus Mechanicus is known as the Cult Mechanicus.[Needs Citation]

Which is identical to what I meant to say :p
    High_Adept_Zeth likes this.
  3. Every member of the Mechanicus will tell you different. They don't see themselves as members of the Imperium, there are even novels about that. There are factions in the Mechanicus that actively want to separate the ties to the Imperium.
  4. Uriel1339 Uriel1339 Lord of Posts

See Edits and I am not talking in-char, I am taking the Wh40k lore here as outsider. The Space Wolves are also TECHNICALLY part of the Imperium, yet they are like an own kingdom given with what they got through.

Remember here my friend, I analyse stuff and add to it as outsider, not as some in-char form, since that would be the total biased version.
    High_Adept_Zeth likes this.
  5. High Adept Zeth High_Adept_Zeth Arkhona Vanguard

Relax brav.You know i never go OCC (except this time i guess..)
    I was joking :p

Fully agree! (who the hell quoted a Mechanicum link without my !?)

A certain Magos might not feel obligated to help IoM nor contribute to its cause (but that is just a personal preference born from the different culture and doctrine).Inquisition also has zero pull with the Mechanicum (mainly because the Cult polices itself...) but Cult Mechanicum...or Adeptus Mechanicus as it is its administrative designation,is part of the Imperium.The part that Fabricator-General is one of the High Lords proves this point further and we are BOUND to the Golden Throne by the Crimson Pact (in some parts of the AdMech...twice signed...HH`s doing...).

Also...the links...

Also...wait...contribute to the heretekal data-bases.Data-base that all RPers can read freely?Uncensored?Un...un...unguarded?!Such knowledge...
    This is just a plot to get me write some blasphemous stuff!I shant yield!It was enough that i had to do it once before!
    Jorimel and Uriel1339 like this.
  6. Fox Vulpas Well-Known Member

Hey Urian Do you have any tips on making a campaign or possibly how to pace a story or rp as a GM
    or how to plan one out?
  7. Uriel1339 Uriel1339 Lord of Posts

Campaign as in just 1 mission or more of like 3 missions that all contribute to the campaign?

As for planning out. Each mission/scenario should be roughly drafted. Here is a list of things you should think about when creating a mission (at least my opinion):

#1 - Why is your group there and not somebody else? (I.E. why was the Deathwatch sent, not an Imperial Guard? Or why was the Guard sent but not Astartes, etc.)
    #2 - Are there allies? Who are these and what is their relation to you
    #3 - Who is the enemy? What is the intel the players have on them?
    #4 - Objective, what is the group to do here, are there any secondary or even tertiary goals?
    #5 - What is the terrain like? Players perhaps NEED to know this to fit their equipment accordingly (i.e. if an Assault Marine should bring his jetpack or not)
    #6 - Make a general plotline up but don't use it as script. Basically: Make the NPCs up before the mission start, determine their relationship with one another and how they will react to certain aspects of Marines. I.E. will they cooperate if they show guts? Or will they perhaps become more isolated if the Marines will threaten them. Or perhaps they all lie in general or may not be of help because they are afraid to death. Make your NPCs 3 dimensional and not just biased ppl.
    #7 - (totally optional): Maps. Maps always help to get the grasp of what is going on. I would do this as a requirement when doing a campaign so players can understand what is where. And if not a map then at least some sort of description on a dedicated page where you put link to. I.E. how far certain Points of Interest are from one another.

Pacing a story is always difficult. For example the old deathwatch just kept on moving so darn quick, now it's more like 1 big advance a day in the most RPs. Timejumps should be only used if players don't like socializing or they can't (because 4/5 are unconscious for example) Battle speed should be steady and generally speaking always once everyone made 1 post.
  8. Uriel1339 Uriel1339 Lord of Posts

By @Jorimel - Some GM & RP input:

In my experience (which is far longer than I am going to admit right now, though mostly face to face roleplay) some of the main issues are these:

• Flavours of Roleplayer. People not wanting the same kind of roleplaying. If you mix the flavours among your players inevitably some are going to be bored by exactly what the others love best. It's hard to get around this except by being very specific in what you ask for player-type-wise, and that unfortunately limits the numbers in a group that is already niche (people who love 40k and who want to roleplay).
    • Mixed Dedication Levels. For some posting multiple times a day is normal. For others, meh, they might look in once in a while. Put the two together and the ones who don't keep up get lost and then don't come back.
    • Mixed Access Levels - instead someone can't get online as often as someone else. The results are the same but the person is deprived not can't-be-arsed.
    • Life Hit Me In The Face - life gets in the way of someone in ways they couldn't predict.
    • New Shiny Thing. "Oooh! New game! I am so signing up!" A few days pass. "Oooh, new XBox (or whatever you prefer) game!!!" The new roleplaying game? Oh ... uh ... forgot ...
    • Short attention span. The curse of the modern age. A bloody nuisance.
    All resulting in ...
    • Downward Bell Curve Enthusiasm. Everyone is keen to start. Then a few less people are keen. Then maybe one or two. Then ...
    The other problem is that for many games the issue is further complicated by wanting to run a game that's not the usual race (see my own example here, I do it to myself :p http://forum.eternalcrusade.com/threads/to-sail-amid-the-seas-of-fate-jorimels-eldar-rp.44096/ ) - you really need people who are into that race enough for it to succeed. There are even fewer hardcore Eldar fans as it were than Eldar fans, and only a subset of those want to roleplay. This is why I made a thread to determine if we simply had the numbers first.

What can we do about all this? I'm not sure; I can only think of ways to minimise some of the issues, but they don't work 100%.

Some possible answers:

• Create game idea. Pitch game idea. If there are enough people, then develop and run game. I think most of us do this anyway, really. I never said these were new answers :p
    • Tell your players what kind of game you run. The idea is that people who like X type of game will play game X and those who prefer Y will go with Y, which ought to help with compatibility. For myself, I make long posts. I like to run roleplay intensive and lore-compliant games with combat being cinematic and not the intended main focus. This is why I have so many reservations when you invite me to an all-combat game, my angels :p
    • Players and GMs both - be honest and realistic about the amount of time you can dedicate to this game. Some things can be predicted, others can't. I'm not talking about life events no-one could reasonably see coming here, but the ones that can. Do you have time, or do you just wish you did?
    • Use forum alerts if your memory is terrible. Not 100% useful as every few weeks these seem to fail, but you can check if you've got a suspicious lack of messages you've normally been getting! Happened to me. Works for GMs and players.
    And lastly 3 things I like and don't like :p

3 Things I like
    • people asking intelligent questions
    • people communicating
    • good character concepts done well, whether original or not
    3 Things I dislike
    • flakers
    • "badass loners" - you came to play in a group, fucking play with the group - luckily everyone in my group understands this :D
    • people who skim my posts then ask for details that were in my post
    That last one makes me want to stop bothering forever.

What are everyone's views on preventing the dreaded Bell Curve of Doom?

By @CommissarGaunt - Some GM & RP input:

Unfortunately a lot of people say they will meet the minimal requirements for roleplaying and then after the first mission, they decide to not a give a fuck anymore which in turn means you've lost a player. Another thing that normally ends up happening is when you make multiple party's within the Roleplay which almost always happens and then people get confused as to who is where, who is with what group, and whether or not anything makes sense which in turn leads to "It's dead Jim." moments.

Right now, most GMs need to be able to work with the fact that their Roleplay is going to die eventually but in order to prolong that eventuality, you have to make the first mission(s) work well and maintain the speed. When you slow down, people start to lose interest and then leave...some without even telling you. (You know who you are and don't even deny this fact)

Commonalities amongst Role Players right now:
    • We all like Loyalists and especially those pertaining to the Imperial Guard and Astartes. This is what almost every Roleplay has in at some point or another and what generates the most interest despite other peoples fixations.
    • A lot of people will put interest towards a Roleplay in development and then after posting a character never respond. This comes from normally people forgetting they made a commitment or becoming interested in something else outside of the forums. A rare case which has happened to me is that the forum itself stops notifying you and you can't find the thread again for a while.
    • The amount of players who will put detail into a Roleplay is inversely proportional to the amount of one-liner players. This becomes very obvious in Character Sheets and also during the first few posts during a Roleplay and normally is a tell-tale indicator you're doomed.
    • Non-thread/forum related Roleplays are popular but most people have the opinion that if it isn't forum related, do it on the forum that is. While forums in general are specific to certain areas of interest, this general sub-category is for all things Roleplay related and as such we are all free to start a Roleplay that has nothing related to 40k, we just all happen to already like 40k in general so that's what is most common on here.
    Traits that should be more standard amongst Role Players:
    • Back story generating. A lot of my characters from those of you who know me have at least one subject of back story that can be used to generate sub-plot in a story line which in turn can allow for a GM to create plot when player base is low. While not a requirement, it is something any veteran or common player who wants to be more involved should begin.
    • Know your fellows. Every roleplay starts with differing interests and preferences and if you can preempt that, you can make sure they stay interested. This in turn means players should interact with each other just as often as they do with the GM when possible.
    • A roleplay is a group effort and is by no means reliant on the GM. While the GM directs everything and creates the general story line, the players themselves are responsible for keeping it alive. Even if you don't get a response from the GM, go ahead and attempt to advance the storyline if it appears to be dying that way players know it's still alive. The greatest crime in which we are all guilty of is inaction.
    • Having detailed posts. There's nothing more annoying for a GM than when you post a few paragraphs and then someone responds with less than two sentences of very vague details. While sometimes this is okay to do, it is in general best to be as detailed as possible that way people can imagine the events more openly and be more inclined to match you. One of my friends on a different forum in this way came up with a general rule that all posts be a minimum of 1000 words. If you can't maintain a base minimum of plot and substance, then you shouldn't be roleplaying with people keen on keeping it alive.
    • Alerting people to when you lose interest. Everyone will lose interest, including the GM(s) and when this happens, it is important to let the player base know so they can react accordingly. This in turn can mean someone taking over and attempting to keep it going or prematurely killing the roleplay before people invest too much time in it.
    How to deal with grieving and trolls:
    Yes, I'm probably one of the largest at times simply because I take logic and lore streamlining very seriously and in some times come into conflict with the GM. Haha, laugh it all out now, at least I admit it. However, there's ways to deal with people like me (I honestly try not to do it anymore) without blowing up the thread.
    • Never tell the other person they are down right wrong. The moment blame is cast, the argument escalates rapidly and gets uglier which in turn leads to banning and muting of player(s). People get arrogant and then close doors which can't be opened again reducing the player base which is something we want to grow.
    • If a person is ranting with no clear logic, ignore them. Delete the post, get a moderator, whatever you have to do to de-rail it immediately that way it stops before it begins.
    • Apologize when necessary. Everyone fucks up, has a miscommunication or a bad day and says something they normally wouldn't. An apology can go a lot further than anything else and gets things cleared up. Even if you may not be at fault, an apology can be the quickest way to clear up a mess before it becomes a disaster.
    • If the person is completely unreasonable and you have honestly tried. Get a moderator ASAP and let them deal with it. Our moderators are helpful friendly people and they are understanding. There's almost always at least one moderator on at any given time and can help with a variety of things.
    How to Game Manage:
    • The first step to any successful roleplay is making sure you get your interests across first and what WILL and WILL NOT happen. The sooner everyone accepts that, the sooner you can start the actual roleplay and make sure your player base is what you want.
    • Starting with a small player base is normally better than a large one. If you begin with a few who you know are willing to put the extra mile to keep it going, you can in turn generate interest over time to grow the roleplay. If you wait for too many players or an imaginary number you hope to reach, you will begin to lose interest due to wait times and having way too many people who attempt to know what they're doing but ultimately don't.
    • Put out your thoughts first to know if this is something you want to do and people are willing to follow. A good Game Manager should always know when to start something and when to end it. If you can't clearly tell, then get help or don't attempt it. There are many veterans here such as Uriel, myself, and others who can offer suggestions and support to those in need or even co-manage if you really need help. Ask for support and the player base will provide.
    • Know how to manage time. Everyone has different schedules, work loads, the time zone they live in, etc. We can't always be there when others are so know when people are the most likely to be together. As Uriel has showcased in one of his threads, set specific times for RP specific messages that way people know when to be on the lookout for plot advances and when the Roleplay itself should be in motion. This isn't a 24hr/7days a week job, this is a pass-time that we enjoy because we like to write and create.
    • The devil is in the details. The more detailed you can be, the better. Details mean less questions and set a bench mark players should strive to match so that the structure of the plot line maintains a certain level where there's high interest in everyones works and less probability of low substance posts.
    • Never tell someone they're wrong, a bad player, or overall unwelcome. This can breed hostility and overall lower your view by others. The last thing anyone wants is to be known as the person who can't be trusted because they didn't accept other peoples opinions.
    Jorimel likes this.
  9. While the original truce signed between the Emperor and the Tech-Priests of Mars states that the Mechanicus is a fully seperate body and entity which is only "allied" to the Imperium of Man, that was over ten millenia ago. The Mechanicus and Imperium of Man rely on each other too much that they would never break this pact and our now a single entity.

While there has been conflict and certain grey areas on which both sides don't agree on policy such as the Omnissiah vs the God-Emperor, they would never go to war against each other because it would be too costly for both sides.

If anything, the Adeptus Mechanicus takes on the same traits as the Inquisition. Yes they're part of the Imperium of Man but they are so powerful they essentially can do whatever the hell they want whenever they want because LOGIC!
  10. Not logic, but the simple bane of all effectiveness, and a word very easily explained:
    Bureaucracy
    Jorimel likes this.