Background Image

UAT - Testing / Playing with Devs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jbregg, Mar 30, 2017.

?

Are you interested in testing/playing with the Devs on the latest build?

1. I'd want to play but not test.

2. Not interested.

3. Sign me up!

4. I would be interested but the time of the test is an issue.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ondora Ondora Subordinate

They are squishy, or lack abbilities or warpcharge. They are the most adaptable class(almost more than tacticals)
    And stream of corruption has it's main point for mobile units because of the lock on function and making the abbility to flee useless, because it's usually to late when they want to run.

@jbregg I really understand why so many parts get recycled and that it helps focusing with making new maps without being held back by having to make so much buildings etc. but why aren't the yet almost ignored yet usefull parts like the ruins in front of the siege forts or the trenches in front of Blackbold used?
    Also is it possible to implement parts like the doors from PVE in regular maps?
  2. Belphegor LordSloth Preacher

I honestly dont know what i exspected to see but this much assetflip baffled me after seeing how much work and detail was used on the Colliseum:

So the 3 Capture Point buildings are mostly reused or slightly modified existing buildings of the existing maps?

I identified Torias C Point and/or Olipsis B on A. On B we had Olipsis C and/or Zedek A, on Point C we have Pegasus B, even with the empty vehiclebay as the groundfloor.
    Mainfold likes this.
  3. Lady Rheeva Steam Early Access

One thing I think is important to mention is the reason the map deserves its name. I said it in-game, but I am not sure I got across, what I meant:
    At the C-point, there are spots that allow the defenders to easily hit attackers from relative safety from various angles. That is all well and good, but how is it different from the general problem we have with choke-points?
    The problem is the 'strafing'. If you look at current fortress-maps, most defensive positions are built for heavies.
    If you have high-ground, it also comes with long range and it comes with low cover.
    Low cover is actually a downside for the defender. It means I have to brace to shoot and bracing makes me static, vulnerable.
    If you have high-ground or any kind of superior position not following the rules, it can be used much more freely to safely farm kills on whoever is down below.
    You can shoot at people without having to expose yourself by relying on the clunky cover-system.
    That is something that has to change about C specifically.
  4. Alright, here is my feedback. First I wanna say, it was really fun, I really liked the fighting uphill feeling, though I wish we had the full 20v20 because I'm really not sure how that would work out.

I'm not gonna talk much about cover, clippings and stuck points, this is the first iteration of the map and I think others provided a good amount of feedback on that already. Now here is the two points I really wanna talk about:

1. Make the whole complex a bit more of an imperial structure. Add a big gate to the foot of the hill (not as big as Fortress gates, but still big). Also Add walls that start at the bottom of the hill and go all the way up. Those don't have to be very high, more like mountable high. I think this might make the whole complex feel more like it's really a connected imperial complex and not just several cap point stations.

2. Elevators. They feel a bit out of place, like a forced additional way to give access to attackers. While generally I'm fine with that idea, it could use some more style. My proposal would be:
    Instead of the A point elevator, reuse one of the towers from Medusas A point (the one on attackers spawn side, or the one facing towards C point) including the bridge to connect it to the cap point. If thats not enough height, a couple stairs at the end of the bridge should be fine.
    For the B-Point, I'd use towers as well, but maybe with an elevator as well as stairs. As we have a bit more height here, I'd probably even make it two towers, so you have to switch from one tower to the other to get all the way up.
    The advantage would not only be that it should look better, but also those towers are giving more cover to the attackers, than elevators out in the open.

I'm really exited for the next iteration. Just one last thing @jbregg, please don't rush this map to live. Take your time to polish and make this feel really good. I think this map can be really awesome, don't ruin it by releasing it too early please.
    Mainfold and Ondora like this.
  5. Mainfold Mainfold Preacher

@jbregg just got to thinking... this might be the first map where having no resupply-boxes for defenders would fit the design.

You have the opportunity here to make the FIRST map where you build it so that, it's extremely defensible, but has to be because of no resupplying for defenders, but attackers get a lot more tools to attack than defenders, like.. you can make a path where a ordnance vehicle has to drive to get up, and gate's like fortress-maps blocking it from moving until it's destroyed. So the Attackers have a Vindicator (or some other ordnance vehicle) they have to defend as it pushes up to be that one attack-element that'll allow pushing past the heavily dug-in defenders and breach their lines (opening up new paths for the infantry to move, but no tanks only ordnance). So you add vehicle-blocking wall elsewhere outside of the gate-area where it needs to move.

Sort of like pushing a cart etc in Team Fortress, but still having to manually cap the points, but also destroying said gates destroys the ability to spawn at forward-spawn points and moves the defenders slowly back via having to use the objective spawn-point as their only spawn-point once the forward defense-points are taken out.

Would also give reason to have the quad cannons (past just being anti-infantry quad cannon turrets).
    As is said in lore; Every fortress eventually falls as you run out of resources and reinforcements, it's how long you can prolong the fall that decides how great a fortress is.
    So a key to a great defense should be centered around how long you can last before you're shit-outta-luck because nobody brought ammo-kits etc. But succeed and have enough on-person resupplying available via loadouts, and you'll last the duration of the battle and win.

Make it a battle where attackers have to use everything at their disposal to take out defense-objects, thus allowing them to move forward gradually.

Agreed!
    Data8671 likes this.
  6. @Mainfold All they will do is just redeploy.
  7. Mainfold Mainfold Preacher

Defenders have lives, so they'd run out of lives and lose

(edit):

You probably gonna wanna play the map when eldar-testing starts for it, it might really interesting attacking as eldar there, due to how hard it is to push in the open, but also having tools available like swoops and scorpions to get up sight-unseen
  8. Lord Ravagerx Deadknight Well-Known Member

9. - Hasn't played the map yet
    - Has nothing constructive to say

Yeah good work random forum user.
  10. Lord Ravagerx Deadknight Well-Known Member

LOBOTRONUS and Firskon like this.