Background Image

Twitch - July 17

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by KatieFleming, Jul 15, 2015.

1. I think the underlying idea is that while PS2 has big battles (I mean, you can toss 200-300 players at a base) you will run into major server problems with hitreg and rendering. You'll be running up a staircase and all of a sudden 20 friendlies and enemies pop into existence and you get instagibbed by the 5 grenades that also ended up appearing on your screen at the very last second. Ultimately if you can toss 100 players into a single base, like what will probably happen early on with EC, it's a far, far better experience while providing the same type of situation. In PS2 once you get past like 100-150 players on both sides for a single base it doesn't really feel different, it sort of plateaus in terms of the player experience. In fact the more you have, like I said, the worse the experience gets - everyone who participated in the RecordSmash will truly understand what I'm talking about.

And I guess I should add that not rendering enemies/allies over a threshold specifically is something that the game does actively. Because before O:MFG the game turned into a slideshow when more than a platoon plopped down onto a base for each side.
  2. Golokopitenko Golokopitenko Well-Known Member

Wait, wait wait... did O:MFG spawn this "suddently 40 people materialize in front of you" issue?
  3. That was the start of the enforced render limitations, IIRC. Before it was just a byproduct, now they have guidelines set for rendering in high pop situations
    Golokopitenko likes this.
  4. Dragun16 Dragun16 Subordinate

Another Form of server, rendering limitations that was used called Play Culling, best seen it in Guild wars2, in past tense they have changed it more then a year ago.

If there was more then X number of players on the screen the ones in the back and those not targeting you were removed from your field of view, I did create many issues cause you could not get an accurate count of how many enemy were zerging and thus a proper defense could not be anticipated.

But as far as I know, Many games will still use "relevant" data about player position the "if they can see you" then they are part of your "world" and you in theirs, this allow server to focus on certain players having interaction and leave the rest running around out of interaction, so that it freed up player to player combat or trade. I think Defiance was the first to use this form of one server for 1000+ people and only 200 viewed at a time, I could be wrong.
  5. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

Guild War 2 culling was the worst.

Nothing like fighting a 50v50 just to start seeing people pop in and out of existence, bringing with them the pain and sword to your face when they get unculled.
    You didnt even need Veils at that point, you were surprising your enemies anyhow.