Background Image

Twitch - July 17

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by KatieFleming, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Golokopitenko Golokopitenko Well-Known Member

Why is that not enough? I mean, almost everyone who has played WoW or PS2 will say that each continent is an entire "Open World"(or rather, feels like one), why won't phasing suffice for EC?
    Djemo-SRB likes this.
  2. Eroda Eroda Curator

if each EC continent worked like PS2 with deep striking (steel rain ) to differnt battlefronts on differnt continents that would be acceptable for now , hell it would probably be the only way unless the is a large jump in computing performance
  3. Nathan Richardsson Oveur Senior Producer

You mean why isn't phasing enough for us? Because you can't have large battles with it. You can go try it in Defiance for example in the Arkfalls (PVE) and the overland PVP battlegrounds. You set phasing parameters to limit the number of people around you in a open world, like you have layers at the same location where 50 people are standing, but set to only see 4-8 of those people at the same time in their shared instance.

Battlegrounds in WoW are a great example of where phasing doesn't work, and you are transferred into closed instances for anything serious in terms of large combat and/or AI presence.

Planetside spent many many years perfecting their tech to support exactly what they are, large battle in a small "open world", where you have seamless instances. You have to have physics simulations spanning computer cores, which sets a lot of restrictions, which is why 1000 people are not on your screen at the same time, you segment the map and spread everyone out.

So for short, we are talking about entirely different technologies, purpose made and owned by them, that spent years and tons of engineering time on achieving. And mixing them together is something nobody has done :)

Edit: Forgot a "not" in there :p
    Kaelin, Dave-HTE, Pack_master and 4 others like this.
  4. sounds alot like pikko server was supposed to work
    Korel likes this.
  5. Kor'El Es'Tau Ar'Kais Korel Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying things for me, it's very much appreciated. :cool:

And yes, I can now see why you are so confident to reach your definition of an "Open World" within 2 years, as this game is going to be much smaller in scope and scale than what I had mistakenly imagined.

I'm curious to see what kind of "Content" there is going to be in the "Open World Territories", are you talking about NPCs? o_O
  6. Golokopitenko Golokopitenko Well-Known Member

Thanks for your answer, Warmaster!
    So if "sharded" PS2 battles already look big... how big are EC battles going to be?? :O (this is rather a rhetorical question)

Now I really understand how far was the initial launch goal... I can hardly imagine a AAA company pulling that off. I know this has been answered several times, but is that even possible? I know you have 2 years to try and get as close as that, but... damn, it's the highest bar I've seen set for a videogame.
    If you sadly discover this is not achievable, no matter the time and the money you have, will you settle for the PS2/WoW approach?
  7. Golokopitenko Golokopitenko Well-Known Member

They mentioned things like ambushes and "open world encounters".
  8. It didn't sound like he was confident that their battles will be even bigger than PS2s. It sounded more like they will be bigger than what you see at one time in WoW, and that PS2 is an outlier that they can have such big battles. (If I didn't get that right, sorry I am a bit tired.)
  9. Batpimp Batpimp Moderator

I feel like at this point you need to have like a visual thing that any of your followers could link for you. I am sure most of these people don't even realize what kind of tech goes into this. I am just relying on you to make it happen and see it for myself. I wish I could ask people to just wait and see and if they don't like it SAY SO. so you can fix it, upgrade it, change it based on that.
  10. Grigdusher Grigdusher Arch-Cardinal

if i remember correctly pikko server was all about cloud based server that moved character around the servers in real time, like that instead many zones you have many server that follow the players grouped togheter and make them fight the same battle.
    Golokopitenko and Djemo-SRB like this.