Background Image

To much Zooming,...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PrplHze, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Why did they change it in the first place? Totally unnecessary change in my opinion.
  2. Asyran Eldritch Arkhona Vanguard

I like it for the most part. Orks definitely needed this. Though a slider would be nice.
    Sily likes this.
  3. Lerdoc Katitof Well-Known Member

Because crapload of people bitched about how tight FOV is and how close camera is before.
  4. Sily Sily Firebrand

I'm fully on board with this new FOV. The wider my vision, the happier I am. :3
    Though, I think it might be a bit overdone with sprint. But hey, I ain't complaining.
  5. And they listened to that?! People are bitching around they want the content they backed as a founder and this gets changed? I personally liked the original FOV much more than the fish eye lense we have now, should I start bitching around as well? "please waste your precious time and change the FOV to as it was, then change it back to what is now and after that cycle introduce a FOV slider or at least two presets, thanks you bastards!"
    something like this? I am open for constructive critics...
    ProteusVM, GreenGit and Sily like this.
  6. Avlaen Avlaen Arkhona Vanguard

yeah you would of though it would of been easy to add a slider... but this is BE we are talking about.
  7. I'm the only one here that want's a FOV slider? lol
  8. Nathan Richardsson Oveur Senior Producer

If someone dislikes the FOV, they should look at what is the norm and where EC for some obscure reason had FOV set to tunnel vision.

So that was the first reasoning for the change. As a shooter, the difference classes and their different camera settings simply weren't even industry standard.

It was also on UAT for ages and the majority of the feedback was good. We even changed a lot based on player feedback. So feedback from testing on UAT is listened to, as we follow specifically feedback on new changes there.

You won't get a slider but if you are masochistic and like having tunnel vision where you are less aware of your surroundings (aka "abnormal field of view for human beings), and the original reasoning didn't make any sense (someone thought it couldn't be wider due to performance issues), I'm not going to stop you from reverting to older settings. You'll probably get two basic settings. Old, and new.

But that will only happen when we're happy with the current changes on all classes, and that requires it to be on Live for a while to gather feedback.

As to "why do this instead of that", I can tell you we spent about two days worth total in changing the parameters in the unreal engine. If you have any great improvements that takes 2 days to implement by a game designer, and it doesn't even require engineering time, I'm all ears. The strafing changes were the same easy setup although that required half a day of an engineer.

Moral of the story, constructive feedback is actionable, easy and on the actual subject at hand. Adding a slider is about 10 times more complex and requires engineering as well as UI time. Had I done that, it would have been a complete waste of time, since people would most certainly find something wrong with that approach as well.

Let's focus on what is the right fov for each class and faction. It's not one value, it's very many, in the many categories where we have defined camera parameters. It's one of the reasons cheap tricks to shift should in all the cameras didn't work. We tried them all. Because cheap tricks are easy to test.

Have a nice day everyone :)
  9. Thanks for clearing this up especially that it didn't took workload away from other tasks. However I still don't understand why this is assumed to be more like our very human peripheral vision as it's more like a helicopter drone with fish-lense flying behind you (I know I'm exaggerating)...that's not what I see in the corner of my eye...it's like comparing apples and oranges or? ;) in the end its just the individual taste of each player, what he she prefers or not?