Background Image

Titans After Launch, Why Not?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KroozaNob, May 8, 2014.

?

do you think titans should be implemented in the future?

1. yes

40.9%
  2. no

53.5%
  3. i don't care (then why did you look this thread?!?)

5.5%
  1. Krooza Nob Bozz KroozaNob Well-Known Member

Oy guyz! It has been clearly stated thet titans won't be present at release, and they won't be probably present at all because this game is supposed to be focus on infantry playstyle. i still cannot accept this idea, cause in my opinion it shouldn't be excluded a priori. Everyone say that it would be op, that anyone wouldn't stand a chance against them. So what? Even with this game we won't have a chance for seeing them fielded, except for envinronment utility or cutscenes? "Cough cough space marine cough cough"... so what, just because they are super powerful, anyone accept them as something not to implement? Hell, let's think for a moment about how they should work!

Firstly, they must DEFINITLY not being drivable! Would you imagine a guy with a killstreak of over 200 guys? They should be only be A.I. controlled, and they would follow only the orders of the council members. More precisely, the commander who will deploy it, should first spend an helluva of resources. Besides, there should be some critical battle condition to make it available. For example (other ideas are welcomed): one faction is trying to press the frontline in a specific area, may be it is sieging a crucial stronghold, but the defenses are simply too heavy to breach through. So, once your faction death count, or the amount of resources invested in that area reaches a certain level, titan deployement becomes an extraordinary request.

Once deployed, to succesfully take advantage of it for one side,and rapidly bring it down for the other will be a matter of great coordination among every player, every squad and every strike force. It won't be taken for granted, though, to see one of them towering over the landscape. This because, in order to maintain it operative, the titan will literally drain away all your faction resources. It will need rp for reach the location the council member pointed, for firing the main guns, even for just standing, even if this at a slower rate. if the resources will run out, it'll be just a hug piece of junk in the middle of the battle!

Talking about how it should work, the council member who requested it can designate on his map the area where it must go, he can see the fire range of the titan and select an area where it must unleash its heavy payload, which should be distinguished in anti-infantry gun with a larger aod, and an anti-fortress one, with a more limited aod, but with a greater range and penetration power, as it must effectively damage what his name suggests. To cause massive havok, the soldiers on the field should recon the area and mark the enemies to give to the council member a proper target to annhilate. NO PLAYER should be allowed to stand on board, which should be considered as a restricted area, where only the npc crew is authorised to man the turrets present there. They should cause enough damage to be considered less than a huge threat, but more than a simple nuisance. The main danger should be represented by the main guns, of course. However, when it is ordered to fire, the chosen area to bombard should be visible on the ground for both allies and enemy. The time to fire would depend firstly on how much will take to the war machine to turn on the correct direction. When it's in the correct position, the charging time for the weapon should be something between 10 and 15 seconds, during which the soldiers can try to LEG IT OUTTA DERE!!! (Sorry, but my boss was sick tired of all this human writing...)

The survivability of the titan will strongly depend on a current stream of resources from ally controlled factories, and 3 power station present in their territory. Inspired from what i read from an other thread, this buildings should be the source for the energy shields used by the titan. Sabotating this areas will weaken the cover and, eventually, if all the stations are destroyed, it will be vulnerable to the enemy fire. This raids aren't necessary, but it will take TONS of firepower to disable the titan otherwise. Once exposed to enemy fire, the titan weapons or mobile systems might be disabled, rendering it even more vulnerable to enemy assaults.

To defenitely destroy the titan, anyway, the assaulters should breach the hull at the base of the giant weapon, by means of tanks from a safe distance, if the shields are down, or trough a more daring infantry assault, who must deploy a special explosive charge. This last action, however, can be done only if the titan is still. Anyway, the council member couldn't counter this saboteurs by simply making it constantly moving. the titan, infact, should have set a minimal distance to travel, spending resources and preventing it from firing while moving. Once the inside is exposed, the enemy has the chance to board the titan, and their goal will be to reach an elevator that leads to the ammunition room. They will find on their way, though, hordes of npcs trying to prevent the enemy to finish from the interior the huge iron beast. they will be little concern for the skilled invaders, but this will give enough time for the player reinforcements to get on board as well. As the safety of the titan is at risk, the player will receive permission to get inside the vehicle.

At this point, if the defenses lose to the enemy advance and the raiders will manage to set the final charge among the higly explosives ammos, they can try to escape by jumping from a balcony present on that floor. (This for me is a triky point, as ,out of jump troops, i am unaware if the other soldiers, according to the lore, should have some safe fall system) once the proudly titan detonates in a massive explosion, with such an intense light that covers the horizon, you think that the battle for this war machine has ended, right? Well, here is one last thing.

The destruction of a titan would be a terrible loss for any faction that deployed it, so any intact artefact recovered would pertially replenish the huge waste of resources. This is where the final part of the fight begins, with both factions, or more, as the battle may have attracted other races, for reclaiming as many devices as possible, battling among the wreks of the titan.

In the end, would it be really such a bad idea to see, at least some time after the release, imperial class titans, ork super gargantuans, eldar wraithlords, chaos war machines, may be even tyranid bio-titans ruling over the blooded fields of Arkhona?
    Cpt. Cato Sicarius likes this.
  2. Krooza Nob Bozz KroozaNob Well-Known Member

Side note: if there's already a topic about this, i am sorry.
  3. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

The notion has been discussed more times than i can even recall.
    And ill still stand by a no. It basically makes infantry obsolete in a infantry focused game.
    Galen, Whiskey, Sledgecrushr and 5 others like this.
  4. Valrak Valrak Arch Cardinal Superior

No from me.

To quote Grand Master Volkus of the Ordo Sinister of the Divisio Militari,

"No Weapon in the arsenal of the Imperium or the Traitor equals the Titan on the battlefield, and a Legion of such vast war machines can bring any world to its knees. In truth, a Titan has only three enemies: folly, hubris, and another of its own kind."

Titans would ruin the game, they are far to powerful to be controlled by a few people, it hurts my head just thinking of the balance issues.
    Galen, Fireeye, Veda Raa and 6 others like this.
  5. Krooza Nob Bozz KroozaNob Well-Known Member

I'm not talking about a legion of them! Only one per faction. Besides, about the only things that can bring down a titan, isn't it a little exaggerated?
  6. Mngwa Mngwa Well-Known Member

"Why not?"

-Game-balance,
    -lore,
    -faction differences,
    -the whole design of this game,
    -functionality,
    -all the junk developers have to do to put them on a map that has to be specifically designed just for an AI titan.
  7. Valrak Valrak Arch Cardinal Superior

Even one per faction is vastly over powered in a game that is going for an infantry route. Titans are massive weapons of destructions, they are living gods on the field of battle leaving destruction in their path. I would like maybe wrecks of Titans littered across the battlefield, maybe to fight over for resources, but giving players the ability to move and engage enemy with is a no.
  8. Mngwa Mngwa Well-Known Member

The original post is a bit difficult to read in the current format, btw.
    I would suggest pressing enter once in a while to separate the different parts of the text. Makes things easier to read online ^^
    Krooza nob boss likes this.

9. Yes and no. There are other ways in which a titan can be brought down, either through significant firepower or advanced tactics, but in an open battle another titan is usually the best way to destroy such a machine. Shadowswords are vehicles specifically designed to destroy the walkers, and even then they are reserved for ambushes once an entire army has done the majority of the fighting for them. Other situations have involved similar ambushes or events where titans are often at an immense disadvantage. And no, before anyone brings it up, the event from the Taros Campaign doesn't count given how much the authors were bending over to help the Tau Empire win.

Even ignoring the problems behind power, this is a game which is supposed to be infantry focused. Giving such powerful vehicles to factions, even only one, would take away from that and be a step towards repeating Planetside 2's problems of relentless vehicle blitzkriegs.
    Krooza nob boss likes this.
  10. Krooza Nob Bozz KroozaNob Well-Known Member

So any of my ideas above isn't good at all? I'm not speacking of them at launch. For the future of the brand, hoping it has success. Besides, being able only to fight among their wreks would make me nervous, because i would think "where was i while this titan was operational?"