Background Image

Thoughts on proposed Veteran Changes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slough_Monster, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Slough Monster Slough_Monster Arkhona Vanguard

I follow the twitch streams a bit and play a ton (basically every night) and with a couple of guilds, so hear about the streams even when I don’t watch them (I would have to watch after they air, cause I am at work during the streams).

I hear that vets are getting a huge durability boost and the proposed changes include an extra 100 armor and maybe more toughness or what have you.

If correct, I think that this is a very poor idea. This is for the same reason that end game weapons, such as the Hunter’s Mark are not far more powerful than others, just different (vengeance storm bolter, there is something wrong with you). A vet should not destroy other players for no reason other than that they are a vet and they have been playing the game longer and therefore just get additional stats (which they already do). Experience, i.e. time in-game should provide all the advantage you need as a "veteran" player.

The definition of veteran is a person who has had long experience in a particular field. This does not make that person stronger, bigger, more powerful, or what have you. The only advantage they have is experience and that is gained by time spent, in this case, gaming. Therefore, I propose that instead of stat increases (including the extra 400 lp), that veteran classes look dope. Yep, that is it. That we get additional customization options and skins so that other players know that that player has invested a lot of time and has a lot of experience (and hopefully that makes that player leave some stains behind). There would be no cap on deployments and perhaps someone can only become a vet on one class and gains additional appearance stuff the longer they play.

One possible idea is a continued advancement tree after the vet class and unlocking things gives appearance options. This could be something small, such as a purity seal or service studs, to something very apparent like mutations with spikes and pink arms/tentacles.

To be honest, I am also skeptical about terminators, but I assume that they will be a team resource, not a “I get 2 termies every game to wreck shit with and be nearly invincible.” That is also another discussion all together.
  2. I disagree with you.
    I need those loadout points.
    However other stat buffs making them nigh on unchallengeable by new players?
    I disagree with that too.
    It's already hard enough entering the game as a new player.
    But no. I do not think that veteran status should be purely cosmetic.
    And definitely not limited to only one class.
    I wanna have a solid versatile number of loadouts using every class.
    Limiting vet to one class is a bad and stupid idea. What if I've spent so long playing the game I've 'mastered' everything? In that case i should have earned vet for every class.
  3. Judasilfarion Silfarion Drill Abbott

In terms of real life normal humans, yes. A soldier who has been in the military for 6 years still gets the same equipment that a fresh out of bootcamp private gets.

In terms of 40k, no.

Exarchs, being lost on the aspect they have chosen, are granted superior arms and armor.

Space Marines are given access to the chapter armory upon induction into the 1st (veteran) company.

Ork Nobs become bigger and stronger the more they fight.

Chaos Marines become more powerful the older they are because no Chaos Space Marine survives to an old age without the favor of the dark gods.

So that 400+ LP makes a whole lot of sense.
    Nefastus, JojoKasei, ArtemK and 3 others like this.
  4. Tarl68 TARL68 Arkhona Vanguard

personally I would prefer vets to be a cosmetic distinction .... not a power/LP advantage,

never agreed with vertical power creep even if its via a limited spawn concept
  5. TGM Jencent Arch-Cardinal

Play alot of hours in "MMO" and be on a par with new players, yah, it's that what i need.

BTW: I vote for unlimited resp for vet and 1000 LP without +100 armor.
    LOBOTRONUS likes this.
  6. Slough Monster Slough_Monster Arkhona Vanguard

Sure that is fine that you can have multiple vets, but then it should probably take longer to get vet status or longer to get cool looking stuff, so that it actually means something.

We will have to agree to disagree about the loadout points.
  7. GreyNight ArtemK Arkhona Vanguard

restricted spawns anyone?
    LOBOTRONUS likes this.
  8. I'd really like the vets to get exclusive gear that gives them new cool stuff to do - like shimmershields for Eldar, standards for LSM, "ere we go" and additional mob bonuses for Orks, mutations/IW bionics for CSM, things like that. The vets, in my opinion, should also have lots of unique visual swag (LSM heresy pattern goes there, for example) and a huge discount on mastercrafted weapons and iron gobs/halos/sigils/shiney sparkle stones. Downside? No HP buffs, no LP bonus, restricted spawns.
    Basically, I want the vets to do new stuff, not just kill better. I want more varied gameplay, and if it contradicts the lore - fuck the lore. But a classy fuck, you know, with wining and dining and all of that. We can even dance.

Oh, and I think the veterans should be available from Rank 1 in the form of a preset. You'd still have to kill tons of gits to unlock the ability to make your own veteran loadout that is actually good, but let's make everybody special, so that noone is special. And no, I don't mean "special" in JPA kind of way.