Background Image

Thoughs About Team Play And Leadership

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by willhu, Jul 28, 2014.

1. willhu willhu Menial

first of all, I don't want to talk how the devs should make the game or anything . I'm just sharing some personal thoughts for certain aspects of the game, if it helps the devs somehow, I would be honored

Hey Guys
    I've been thinking about leadership squads after watching the last twitch, and I realized something that you find in many team games
    People don't play as a team (most of times)

I'm not talking about the devs, because they were only testing, but squads in some games only serve to fashion.
    Sorry to compare, but on PS2 most of the squad are always far apart for no reason .When you open the map you see each man in a different corner of the map, no tactical approach or cooperation

Of course, this doesn't happen when you play with friends or in a clan, guild etc. But a good portion of players play independently and with strangers, sometimes this causes dispersion and aimlessness (because the lack of communication)

TL;DR
    Problem: how make the players actually play in a group, tactically and cooperatively

Solution: Leaders with heavy buffs of defense/attack

How:
    -One Sargeant per Squad, chosen by application and vote (Sargeants would be a different class slot, with your own gear)
    -Massive buff effect (2x more armor or attack etc, according to each faction)
    -Small area of effect (this will force squads stay together no matter what happens)

This is a sample of how leaders can make difference in core gameplay
    I've made a concept based on the last twitch
    Full view http://i.imgur.com/WXHy3hA.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1-AOE buff
    2-Buff can be seen in the armor bar
    3-Space Marine Standard, Sargeant only item
    4-Squad maker

Well that is it , I know this isn't a big problem for some players, but would be a great feature for the future ;D
    Please let me know what do you guys think about it

thanks
  2. Arlin Arlin Member

Could potentially make it a weaker base buff but with a multiplier? As in, the more of your squad mates who get in close increases it to 1x, 2x,3x, etc. that base buff. Gives a good reason to stick with your team.
  3. FabricatorGeneral Unbihexium Forum Beta Tester

Already mentioned by Brent as the idea behind Hero characters.
  4. I would rather have a mechanic, that rewards the whole grup, aslong as they concentrate on the same target. I would hate to see that you have to walk close together, instead of sending one man flanking.
    PnzrNorm, willhu and tcezar like this.
  5. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

Was going to make a thread of its own similar to this containing a PM from Brent, but i guess adding more duplicate threads wouldnt be fun for anyone.

So i had been curious about this banner and emblem within the RT store and asked Brent about it, the answer itself contains the explanation on how these kind of buffer items will work. So even without being a hero factions will still have an incentive to huddle up. Due to probable effect range and no stacking of the buff it wont be on everyones back:

Banners have a gameplay effect (buffing characters around you, they don't stack, however). You can earn them in-game, but you get a unique appearance in the Captain pack that identifies you as a Founder. The Emblem is similar, except that it only has a personal effect.

You can wear the Banner and the Emblem at the same time, in which case the Emblem goes on top of the Banner. However, whether you'll want to do so depends on your Loadout since they use build points. Typically only one person in a unit will need to wear a Banner at a time, so they are intended for people who want to be leaders (hence the "Captain" pack).

Note that "Banner" refers to the design of the post and shape of the flag - the actual symbol on the banner itself can be your personal, squad or strike force symbol.
  6. Grigdusher Grigdusher Arch-Cardinal

but but this is glorious.
    PnzrNorm and Djemo-SRB like this.
  7. willhu willhu Menial

This could work too, some group mechanics like capturing the squad objective or something similar would be good

Thanks for this feedback, my dream became a reality faster than I expected

I just don't understand how much equals one 'unit' that Brent mentioned
    PnzrNorm likes this.
  8. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

Id guess 10 people, thats the number they are playing with for a squad. They still cant go too overboard as to how many people a single banner can buff at one time, lest we end up with 1 standard bearer buffing an entire force of a hundred.
    PnzrNorm likes this.
  9. Surely you could have Strike Force banners that affect all Strike Force members similar to a Chapter Standard.
    PnzrNorm likes this.
  10. Joram Joram Well-Known Member

IMO regular banners should affect your squad, hero classes banner can affect everyone around at least everyone of your strike force.