Background Image

Things You Do Not Like About Warhammer 40000

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by acepost, Jun 29, 2015.

1. FarseerDaneel FarseerDaneel Well-Known Member

1. GW seems too distant.

2. See 1
    DaKaptin and Jorimel like this.
  2. FarseerDaneel FarseerDaneel Well-Known Member

Whatchu talkin bout willis?
  3. Jorimel Jorimel Well-Known Member

Grim grim dark of the dark grim dark grimdark dark grimness I agree gives no light and shade, and it's taken to absolutely non-functional levels. I like a good dystopia as much as the next man, but a.) our hypothetical next man is not an utter masochist, b.) massive levels of anything soon lose their power to shock, so that one has to keep escalating and getting even more ridiculous to get any impact and this leads to c.) totally unreal levels of loss and damage that still somehow have no effect in the overall scheme of things.

Humanocentric rules and lack of background focus on anything but endless Marines. I'm an Eldar player, but I look at you poor sods playing Tau and I can only feel your pain. I'd buy you a drink sometime, but I'm not sure if you want to shoot me or introduce me to the Greater Good, so let's keep it to sympathy for a fellow under-used species.

Before (well, possibly before, but ... anyhow) I anger the Marines among you, let me add

Inconsistency! And how. Marine Chapters don't seem to be portrayed in consistent ways. There may be a saturation of Marines compared to everything else but I'm not arguing for less Marine stuff so much as I am for more of everything else. And what there is, is of variable quality, and I think that Marines deserve better than arguably schizoid Primarchs, for example, because too few writers do the research. Some is very, very good. Some ... is not.

Stupid fluff changes. Everyone can think of at least one, though what they are will vary. (Is an Exarch, or is an Exarch not, a walking empty suit this week? Question rhetorical.) Often a result of ...

Did Not Do the Reasearch - if you write about a subject, research it. Read what has been established as prior lore. For the love of Pete, this is not hard. Inwardly digest it as my old teacher used to say. Know what you are writing about. This does not mean that you cannot innovate. It means that innovations should follow on logically from established lore or have a damn' good reason why not. Because if you do not do this, everything looks unprofessional, sloppy and just makes no sense. Internal consistency is still needed, even in a made up setting where there are blue sentient cows, space elves with mind bullets and genetically engineered supersoldiers.

The prices are unjustifiable, but not doing the research is my goat they keep on getting.
  4. Jorimel Jorimel Well-Known Member

If it's any comfort Matt Ward has gone, not before he did a large amount of damage to the background I would agree, but he doesn't work there any more. I heard he made good enough rules, but I haven't played in a while. I hope he has a nice life in the future, far away from the background of the things that I love.

Iyanden is my favourite Craftworld.
    Iyanden Codex?! Wait, this is too good to be true. Who wrote it? Matt Ward. *I have no mouth, and I must scream*

I ... would like a certain other writer to stop being given Elves and Eldar to write about, because he can't. I hear he does a very good job with Dwarves, and I enjoyed one of his Marines novels. Technically he is a freelance writer not a GW employee, but he still ... does things ... to the setting. I only really have three problems with his work, to be fair: the language skills, the characterisation, and the plot. He usually knows the backg- no, I can't say it. He mixed up the Elven gods like he'd put them in a cocktail shaker.
  5. It could be worse. It could be C.S goto
    Anvael and DaKaptin like this.
  6. He seems to be working for Forge World now, based on the amount of multilasers the Solar Auxilia can use.
    SecondComingofChar likes this.
  7. MULTILASERS! MULTILASERS FOR EVERYONE!
    Hell_Grunt and DaKaptin like this.
  8. [​IMG]
    Darnath likes this.
  9. Kaptin Primorkagorka DaKaptin Well-Known Member

10. The Prices
    The stagnation of the story to a lesser degree
    The funny thing that was finecast

Theres other minor stuff that's nit picky