Background Image

The Whole Names Thing...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vintage, Jul 10, 2014.

?

Is this "naming" restriction a good idea?

1. Name restrictions was a good choice

84 vote(s)
    75.7%
  2. Yeah, not a good idea....

27 vote(s)
    24.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Do any of you want to see 20-30 variations of Roboute Guilliman?
    Vintage likes this.
  2. Domilyus Schlifer Prefectus

Headline news!

GW made Arkhona, the EC game planet part of their lore in their new book.

Here is a snippet from the book.

"Roboute Guillimanxx10 the clone of Roboute Guilliman the original primarch, stared down the chaotic fortress with his brothers, Roboute Guillimanxx24 and Roboute Guillimanxx378 also clones, alongside their trusty comrades "l33t´ftw" and sergeant "breadcrumbs", together they would face down the fortress of lord kittylover2015, and his evil honour guard of the damned, the honour guard stood steadfeast near kittylover2015 and were none the less impressive as well as stoic with the names doing them much justice, the four honour guard names struck fear when it was uttered aloud, fearsome "WtfBBqSuace", proud, "Ham&Cheese", Strong and mighty "HerculesxxSmash" and the charismatic but not forgotten "GotMIlk."
    Jericho, Grigdusher, WarSon and 4 others like this.
  3. I can problably learn to get over lore name restrictions later on, but its just name restrictions in general. Now im not saying that I will go and make up some name like "=SCRUBKILLER98=", but i believe gamers should have the right to customize their character as they wish, including the name.

I dont see how thats a troll name. Seems just like a regular name.

Now people named "Your mom" or "Git gud" or something like that, then thats a whole nother story

Lol, I nearly knocked over my tv laughing at this :D.

but that brings me back to my other point. They are just names, if your not strong enough to handle troll NAMES then you better be prepared when they actually START to troll.
    Raven-Ninja likes this.
  4. Viktor Aramorae TheWarpsmith Well-Known Member

They cant START if they cant have their stupid names
  5. Yes, they can. Just because they dont have their names dosent mean that they cant still be complete scumbags to people.
  6. Viktor Aramorae TheWarpsmith Well-Known Member

Actions are things you cant prevent, stupid names CAN be prevented by restricting them. Look at it like this: Even if you become the top-ranked player in EC and defeat all the enemies and slaughter their leaders single-handedly you will never be respected and what is worse is that those deeds wont be "recorded" because GW isnt going to put "ImaMoronWithNoOr1g1n4l17y" in a story and then the game itself suffers.
  7. No offense

but who cares if somone isnt respected and isnt in the lore? Surley those cant be the only two reasons we are playing this game right? Video games are played for entertainment, not for respect and a chance to be put in a story.;)
  8. Fenris Fenris Cipher

I'm just glad they are taking a stand on "bad" naming and trying to keep the world as story focused and relevant as they can.
  9. Viktor Aramorae TheWarpsmith Well-Known Member

Spoken like an anti-gamer. Every aficionado/nerd/gamer's ultimate goal (i say goal because these days it isnt a fantasy) is to be a part of the thing they love most whether that is something as simple as a name-mention in a story or as a cameo in a movie/show or even the influence for a character. Regardless that is a worthy goal and if you dont have it then you are by far not into 40k enough.

Besides in the only MMO ever made for the Grim Dark universe of Warhammer 40k having dumbass names hurts the immersion or just general enjoyment for those who are ACTUAL fans of the IP. Letting the non-40k people have more influence than the actual fans? Blasphemy
    Nasher likes this.
  10. Shonedar Shonedar Well-Known Member

Hey I know that story!
    Spoiler alert...

The siege is finally won by a force of 500 apothecaries, all equipped with heresy-era weapons!

After that book publishes, Matt Ward will start working on the new Codex for Apothecaries...:p

Sorry...but I just couldn't restrain myself...I just had to say it...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.