Background Image

The Whole Names Thing...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vintage, Jul 10, 2014.

?

Is this "naming" restriction a good idea?

1. Name restrictions was a good choice

84 vote(s)
    75.7%
  2. Yeah, not a good idea....

27 vote(s)
    24.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Warlock Fitzford Well-Known Member

Nope. I love it.
  2. Joram Joram Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter what we think about this, GW already said that nothing even close to lore names will be allowed. Personally I think is for the best because people will TK a lot characters named Kaldor Draigo, Marneus Calgar or any other big Mary Sues.
    WarSon likes this.
  3. Lelorelyn DragonOfMars Active Member

Ok, so you can't use lore names. So what? Is this going to ruin your lives? What's the big deal?

I myself would never copy a name from the lore but I do get it when people want to be named Horus or name their guild Adeptus Custodes... kind of, I suppose.

Anyway, what I do not get is when people get some silly feature "taken away from them" (despite the fact that they in fact never possessed it) and then come over and simply whine about it.

In my opinion, if lore names had been allowed it would not have been a big deal either. But this is even less a reason to get stressed about.
  4. Mngwa Mngwa Well-Known Member

As long as I have an option of turning peoples names off from my screen, I am fine.

If I actually have to stare at people with xXx at the start and end of their name, or people named after lore characters, I will be sad.
    bossaroo and Nasher like this.
  5. Tellos Tellos Subordinate

Hm, i got my name from the Souldrinkers Book-series. I have it in wow since... years and wanted to take it further, but i'm fine with that. Now i have to imagine a new NAme, but still fine with that.
  6. Fireeye Fireeye Well-Known Member

I'm fine with the ban on lore names (though it would bring me no small amount to joy to bash in the heads of multiple Kaldor Draigos or Robot Girlymans). Also, if you desperately want your character to be named "Deathkiller", "Shadowdeath" or "Edgelord", just go Orkz. Make a few 'funetik' changes, and they become perfectly fine Ork names. Ask Gorgutz "Deathkilla", "Ghostkilla", "Wrathyella", "Demonkilla", "Cannonsmasha", "Bloodspilla".

A serious question to those criticizing the naming conventions, though: What would you like to name your character? "Legolas", "Leegolas", "Legoolas" or "Drizz'Do'Urden" for an Eldar? "George W. Bush" for a Space Marine? "Bill Cosby" for a Chaos Space Marine?
  7. Viktor Aramorae TheWarpsmith Well-Known Member

The moment i see a player named "Teh Emprah420" or "IwuvPonyz" or "SwagimusPrime" i would flip my shit. Some people lack the basic mental capabilities to create an original name and instead would rather have the same stupid name that 2000 other people have and then just add a bunch of numbers after it and that is intolerable. Name restriction are needed and plenty of games should have started this long ago. If it takes a Warhammer 40k MMO to get this started then all the better. It is hard to play a game when you are busy facepalming all the jackasses around you with their neanderthal attempts at naming a being in the grim darkness of the 41st millenium
    tcezar, Carnage, Crioxus and 2 others like this.
  8. Viktor Aramorae TheWarpsmith Well-Known Member

So BE would just follow in the footsteps of Blizzard and StarCraft...
    Shonedar likes this.
  9. Shonedar Shonedar Well-Known Member

So then I get to play a space Panda or a Pink haired gnome like in Warhammer, sorry Warcraft?...I always wanted to play as a space panda...really...:p
  10. Til Til Subordinate

I agree with the naming restrictions, but at the same time calling yourself something stupid is like having a large "AVOID" sign over your character.

I just hope Behaviour and Games Workshop get these restrictions in place ASAP so we know what we're dealing with. At the moment it's all guess work.
    The Warpsmith and Nasher like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.