Background Image

The Whole Names Thing...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vintage, Jul 10, 2014.

?

Is this "naming" restriction a good idea?

1. Name restrictions was a good choice

84 vote(s)
    75.7%
  2. Yeah, not a good idea....

27 vote(s)
    24.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lelith Lelith Recruit

2. Mikey 4tonmantis Menial

See.. I am a 40k player.. I own a LOT of plastic dudesmen. I started more than a decade ago.. have read the books and have a wife that wishes I'd ebay at least half of my stuff.. blah blah blah..
    .. this is a game. Everyone saying that names like ILIKEPIE should not be allowed is being naive to exactly who the majority of customers for a game like this is. When I am able to log into EC.. it's not going to be to LARP as a Spesh Muhreen or whatever.. it's going to be the COD people that a lot of the elitists here are looking down their nose at.
    I understand where you diehard lore guys are coming from.. I do.. I also have been around the block and played WAR from closed beta up until it started dying.. At launch they had all of these ideals and everything.. I got killed by Bretonnia Spears (it was actually kinda funny) and saw Bruce Willis running around at launch.. then the crackdowns started and all the people with those names started having to rename. That plus all the bugs drove out a LOT of players. That game died.. I honestly don't know if it's even still up and running but the server pop was beyond low.
    What I support.. I don't want to see names about hate crime, profanity (meh), and non-keyboard characters. All of this other nonsense is people being uptight about an imaginary world about plastic toy soldiers. All of which was created to entertain and fill GW's pockets. Think about that for a second before you climb back on your high horses and get back to your torch waving. I've seen this all before and it's kinda sad because the purists are part of the reason the game is getting made but that die-hard fanaticism and complete ignorance to how a video game sustains itself is going to be what kills this game before it gets it's first xpac.
  3. Dark Knight Dark-Knight Nickname Change

If that is the case then I'm sure my worry has been misapplied, however the reason for my worry was that a few weeks ago or rather a month + now. on one of the few threads revolving this issue there was atleast three members calling on for a forced random name generator to be put in place and a member of staff replied about looking in to it.

There was also a general consensus on a random thread quite early on in the forum's life about refusing all names that didn't sound like 40k names because it would break immsersion and ruin the game.

I'm guess I'm just worried that the Devs would see this and instantly inforce it, damaging the game in the long run.
  4. Nothv13 Nothv13 Master

Many naming restrictions come from GW themselves, thus cannot be ignored or the game won't exist as a 40k game. As for others, that is for the devs to decide. I can guarantee that the forced renaming of people in WAR was such a small issue that it wasn't even a factor in why the game failed (it was failing long before the crackdown came). Name restriction have never ever been a downfall of a game. So many people like to pin small issues as a reason a game fails.
    Grigdusher and Lelith like this.
  5. HydraCannon Fufu Recruit

It would be odd to see the Chaos Gods as orcs or even on the space marine faction or well known 40k names in different factions
  6. Lelith Lelith Recruit

EXACTLY. Thank goodness someone could word that correctly. THIS GUY!
  7. Im glad somone gets the idea...

edit:
    Nobody is saying that the game will fail because of game restrictions, and nobody should, because that would just be silly.
    However, if this game is going to be what the devs fantasize about and claim to be, then things will have to be twisted, thats one of the things that makes it a video game, its not and dosent need to be Lore-jockied.
    In the end I guess I can just hope that the devs will think it over some more before release, and then maybe we can get this whole mess sorted out
    Dark-Knight likes this.
  8. Akragth Akragth Well-Known Member

Don't kid yourself, the majority of the customers will be 40k fans. The people who are here, now, lending support and money to the project will mean more to the success of the game than the kiddies who come in later.

Forcing a random name generator obviously won't happen. It's impractical and cures nothing, whilst causing more problems.

I don't really mind having names that don't sound 40k, as long as we avoid names with a heap of x's in, etc, but I see where they're coming from.
    Vintage and Dark-Knight like this.
  9. You know you couldve just posted your opinion in my other thread ya know.

But whats done is done I spose
    Dark-Knight likes this.
  10. Agreed.

So.

NO

1.COMPLETE Lore names
    2. Weird XXXX names
    3 Inappropriate/offensive names

Anything else goes? ;)
    Dark-Knight, Schlifer and Shonedar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.