Background Image

The Tyranids

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jericho, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Jericho Jericho Forum Beta Tester

*Copied from Beta Forum*

How would you guys like the see the tyranids unfold in the game.

I am aware that the devs have said it will not be a major focus as the PvP is the main driver but used correctly I think these could be an awesome feature.

The randomly generated tunnel instances sound good especially if there is a fitting end to the crawl encountering one of the more powerful breeds.

When talking about the nids taking over a resource I think it would be cool if the outpost interior could be instanced off and then we have some sort of last stand where a squad would face waves of nids needing to protect the building until the end to re secure the resource's.

I am put in mind of an Aliens games released around 2000 where there was a co op mode for a group of players to defend a facility from increasing alien attacks.

Add a few locations that must be kept secure to stop people bedding down too comfortably in one location and this could be an awesome mini game if you wanted a chance of pace.

Knowing that the creators of Polaris and the Hell instances from The Secret World are involved gives me great heart as these are without doubt the best examples of 5 man instances I have played in any MMO,s. I don't expect complex boss strategies such as these had but knowing the care and effort that went into those gives me great hope for the PVE side of things.
    bossaroo likes this.
  2. Proteus Lychoro ProteusVM Forum Beta Tester

I'd imagine that they will be very deadly, and possibly will require factions to stop slaughtering eachother and deal with the 'nids, otherwise they lose all the territory they had been fighting over previously.

I want them to be dangerous, but beatable, and i swear, if they get aimbot ranged units like the Orks in W40: Space Marine Exterminatus Mode, I will go crazy, I've had enough aimbot AI in any w40k game to last a lifetime.
  3. Jericho Jericho Forum Beta Tester

*some replies*

Vet. Proteus Lychoro - I'd imagine that they will be very deadly, and possibly will require factions to stop slaughtering eachother and deal with the 'nids, otherwise they lose all the territory they had been fighting over previously.
    I want them to be dangerous, but beatable, and i swear, if they get aimbot ranged units like the Orks in W40: Space Marine Exterminatus Mode, I will go crazy, I've had enough aimbot AI in any w40k game to last a lifetime

Krage - Be great to go spelunking into Tyranid Tunnels to collapse them to secure your backfield and to turn up some resource or supplies for the faction and some personal rewards for the clearing team.

I think the gear in PVE Tyranid tunnels should be a a few notches below pvp equipment, and have specific stats/traits that specialize in killing Tyranids so it will help them become better pvers and entry level pvpers if they wish. This will let the Tyranid players stand out, have nice unique armors, and be narrowed into their fields without it having any bearing on the pvp main game...think of it like WoWs PvP resilience, but reverse for PVE increasing their offense or defense against Tyranids.

Traejun - There should be a strategic and personal value to doing the PvE stuff. I like PvE, but this is a PvP game... so everything you do should have some kind of effect on the overall battle.

What you get from there, I have no idea. Sure, you secure your rear and maybe reduce the chance that 'Nids pop up amidst your Devastators while defending an important position. But what else? Gear? Maybe. I don't want this to become something you have to do to be competitive. No "purps" in PvP games for doing PvE. If it's gear, just make it something only slightly better than standard stuff.

and lots of cool video's too numerous to transfer :)
    krage likes this.
  4. Revenlear Revenlear Subordinate

I had this idea of INCREDIBLY hard dungeons, which were almost impossible to finish for even the best champions of your faction. They should be rewarded with epic, unique and really powerful gear, which would then be given to the WC and then to a player which has had an awesome performance during the campaign.
  5. DiscoJacen DiscoJacen Well-Known Member

You and youre WC : )
    Revenlear likes this.
  6. I hope they will introduce big tyranides unit like carnifex will be an epic fight !!
  7. Warsmith Matt Warsmith_Matt Well-Known Member

Can I expect new brilliant new hivemind A.I?
  8. Revenlear Revenlear Subordinate

Just maybe, might be a good idea, also called devs?
  9. Armaros the Subjugator Armaros Forum Beta Tester

Didn't it say in one of the news articles that devs would control the armies of tyranids to stop players over dominating the map? I'm pretty sure it said that somewhere...
  10. Warsmith Matt Warsmith_Matt Well-Known Member

They don't play as the tyranids they're controlled by a computer.