Background Image

The Role Playing Tavern

Discussion in 'Role Playing' started by Uriel1339, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Uriel1339 Uriel1339 Lord of Posts

[​IMG]

Okay, how could we go for over a year and have not a thread to talk about certain plans, current RPs, etc.?

I mean seriously. So yeah. I made this thread now where we can discuss future RPs, current RPs, GMs, systems, lore questions, etc. Also this should be seen as a general thread where a GM can ask for feedback or players simply give some and a general OOC thread like when someone is gone over a longer period of time, etc. etc.

Also I would like to point out that in general we lack these sort of RPs:

- Tau Protagonist
    - Necron Protagonist
    - Grey Knights RP (I know I know, drops too quick into OP and Mary Sue land, I know :p)
    - Chapter-Focused RP (some RP that really resolves only around 1 certain Chapter)
    - Chaos RP (luckily someone is working on that)
    - Tyranid RP (basically impossible, I know, I know :p)
    - Adventure/Exploration RP. Something like a classic RP(G) like Baldur's Gate, Pillars of Eternity, Dungeons and Dragons, etc.
    - Horus Heresy or Great Crusade RP
    - Dark Eldar RP

Perhaps you wanna use this thread also to introduce yourself to the RP community of EC?

Well my (user)name is Uriel1339, prior known (and still am by many) as Urian Velos. Basically started the RP Sub-Forum after pushing for it thanks of the huge demand that was a little more than a year ago. Also started a few trends here like the oh so famous 'Urian Char Sheet' with flaw & trait system. And also proudly introduced many people for their first time to the joys of RP which made great advances ever since. I am also a Game Designer which is kinda why I started RPing here so intensively to go and test different systems out! :) Oh and I am of German heritage who moved to the US quite a while ago.
  2. E-50_Panzer E-50_Panzer Well-Known Member

Tyranid RP? And I thought Necron lord RP would be tough to do.....
  3. Uriel1339 Uriel1339 Lord of Posts

Tyranid RP is possible with extreme restrictions. First of all, players would have to be a major brain critter.

Zoanthrope
    Lictor
    Hive Tyrant
    Warriors are also still okay I believe

The thing is how it would work is similar how DoW2 did it. The Nids communicate telepathically with one another, but don't speak. So as Nid you need basically 2 parts of your post.

#1 What non-nids perceive
    #2 What other nids perceive

one big challenge here is that theoretically the individual players have no free will, which sucks. The only way to really make it work therefore would be a post-fleet-attack. Kinda like it was in DoW2 Retribution.
    HiveSpirit and E-50_Panzer like this.
  4. E-50_Panzer E-50_Panzer Well-Known Member

Yeah it would have to be survival of a splintered fleet or something....still, it would probably become boring after about fifty pages I think :/
  5. Uriel1339 Uriel1339 Lord of Posts

That is another issue. Tyranid personality evolution which we never have seen before (really) but have proof of in at least Lictors.

Another issue is the playerbase. Like there were 3 attempts of a Tau RP here or so, none worked because lack of players :p

Last but not least, players always need combat. I discussed that often with fellow GMs here. As long as there is no combat, players seem... Detached. And the only way to keep activity up really is jumping from battle to battle. I though would finally prefer a proper 50/50 or even 75/25 RP.

I mean just take the good RPGs as example, you do also more talk, dwelling in the lore, etc. rather than just kill all and everything that crosses your path. That said:

I love 1-on-1 RPs via Skype or with tiny groups of like 3 people because you can enjoy more of those little posts. And with 1-on-1 RPs you also can settle for "Whenever we have time" and just do it like 30 mins here, 30 mins there, here an hour in a row, etc.
  6. Fox Vulpas Well-Known Member

You know I could make a Chapter focused Rp On one of my homebrew less crazy chapters like the avenging fox's or possibly a less serious rp with the adeutpus hallucgenics

I would also be interested in trying to make a adventure rp or exploration.
  7. Uriel1339 Uriel1339 Lord of Posts

No stahp it. Your custom chapters are all 'evil'! Especially if I read stuff like the Space Badgers. You are better off using at least a lore existing chapter and just make the lore up around them - like I did for the Sons of Guilliman. Or at least a more serious chapter.... :p

While the Avenging Foxes are probably the best concept you have, they still have a few too many extremes - like most fanon chapters have as problem.

As for Adventure or Exploration RPs I believe you are the wrong GM, because it gets too jumpy. You have somewhat trouble following a thread to the end. At least from my perception.
  8. the lord watchman lord-watchman Well-Known Member

at least its not my custom chapter

though im tempted to say id do a rp but i am no good as a gm i can plan them but when it comes to running them im not very good at it. though im less crazy as a player (some of the times)

you could do a genestealer cult for a tyranid rp
    Uriel1339 likes this.
  9. Phaeron Zcee Nook ZceeNook Well-Known Member

Was wondering about a creepy thing about letting a group of necrons gain sentinence and try to escape my homeworld of Sacarelica...

Haveing fragments of an life they thought they lived as a far away dream... before being burned by the molten metal that took away their mortal flesh and their hope, dreams and lifes... and is now hearing voices that is my constant speaches of glory and madness that will be their thoughs...

Meeting and interacting with my Crypteks, lords and then me... and people dropping out simply being re programmed under the Sacarelica Control...

And new ones simply new ones regaing a glips a personallity long lost...

yet... the plot will be driven by players mostly... and maybe trips to worlds for Extermination... killing their own kind. thous furthering the memorys...

iam not sure... if I can... or people wants to play a nightmare... Directed by me.
  10. Uriel1339 Uriel1339 Lord of Posts

Genestealer cult, now that is an idea! :D

Actually had an idea regards the other way around once. Someone that gets turned into a Necron but keeps sentience.

But the transformation itself would had been before the Sleep, so during the War at Heaven.