Background Image

The real reason behind Performance Issue.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duximus, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Saeritan Saeritan Arkhona Vanguard

Map size is not the issue, it's player count, and shaving off a few triangles won't help to increase the player count.
  2. Sure now we have a tragic population problem (today once again I logged in and there was no Eldar / Ork game so I played something else).

I am saying we had to fight against bad performance for long time, and we have always been told bigger maps were not feasible because of performance issues. Now it comes out the game could easily run better. I was wondering if that kind optmization could open the way to bigger maps.
    If EC could have one bigger map, one that requires vehicles to move troops in a reasonable amount of time, one that could potentially host hundreds of players.... I bet a lot of people would come back.
  3. Lady Rheeva Steam Early Access

Because Fortresses, the maps that currently support the highest player count, most vehicle-combat and siege warfare are so very loved?
  4. Saeritan Saeritan Arkhona Vanguard

I don't mean population, I mean players in a match. Fortress maps already lag pretty badly with their player count, going beyond that would simply not be possible. EC will never have "hundreds of players" in a single match, it is not technically feasible, especially with the state of the development team and their funding.
  5. I skip those maps as well, mainly because a Fortress used to turn into a farming around chokepoints :(
  6. Lady Rheeva Steam Early Access

Exactly. Because you can't just take a lobby shooter, make it 'bigger' and expect everything to work out.
    EC is balanced fine for what it does but if you want 'Eternal Planetside', you'd basically have to create a completely new game. not just raw map size but gameplay to go along with it.
  7. Lord Ravagerx Deadknight Well-Known Member

keep telling people fix servers and optimization

you teleport now if u roll
  8. Catnium Catnium Well-Known Member

That depends on which planetside you wish to imitate.
    Ps2 for sure.
    Ps1 was more of a series of maps on a lattice map it wasn't anything like ps2 with is kinda openworldyness.
    EC could be much like Ps1 in fact the groundwork for the world map and stuff apparently already exists from what we've heard a few streams ago.
    They've just never done anything with it upto now.
    Probably do to the lack of actual maps to link in a sort of lattice system thing.