Background Image

The real reason behind Performance Issue.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Duximus, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Duximus Duximus Steam Early Access

2 years of EC gaming, there hasn't been huge improvement in performance issue.
    Developers announced few times that they improved lag and rubberbanding issue but its still happening nowadays.
    I am playing with lowest setting plus with no shadow but still experiencing lag issue.

Then I've found out the real reason.
    Recently, I was searching EC content file for workshop reference and I went into buildings file.
    there I found the most of the major buildings assets and these are there polycounts

decoration furnance - 180K WTF?!
    SM_STRUC_Furnace_A.jpg
    building sector -42k polycounts
    SM_STRUC_Building_Damage_WallBlockCorner_48X48_01_.jpg
    Honestly I want to know who the f was in charge of putting this in massively multiplayer game..
    as you all know there are countless building assets in each map and these are only one of them
    and each of them has at least over 30k TRIS polycounts.
    It is way more than our ingame player models...

It isn't connection issue or engine, it's just this whole game design issue that causing all these lags.
    Durash, Ivrain, Jimmy_Neutron and 4 others like this.
  2. Duximus Duximus Steam Early Access

Bastion FLOOR ONLY -49903 POLYCOUNT nearly 50k
    SM_STRUC_Bastion_WallFloor_01.jpg Radar -80k polycounts
    SM_STRUC_COMMSTATION_Radar_XL_01_A.jpg

There are plausible solutions for this issue

1. Remove unnecessary assets to remove performance drop
    2.Minimize the size of the map plus with less buildings.
    3. Just Redesign WHOLE assets with each under 30k polycounts.
  3. Lady Rheeva Steam Early Access

Isn't this somethign we could fix rather easily with the workshop, or am I missinformed?
    Jimmy_Neutron likes this.
  4. Duximus Duximus Steam Early Access

yeah we could
    but this whole years we were playing with this tremendous amount unnecessary junks....
    plus there is no workshop yet
    LOBOTRONUS and TheEmprahsWorst like this.
  5. Duximus Duximus Steam Early Access

SM_STRUC_Outpost_DoorFrame_Large_01.jpg SM_STRUC_Outpost_DoorFrame_Large_01_02.jpg
    as you can see this asset top floors has unnecessary bumps of blocks.
    making this floor in to flat surface with normal map would save much more polycounts.
    Firskon and LOBOTRONUS like this.
  6. Gungazzam Choure Subordinate

Interesting find, people barely even look at these 2 high poly count models so redoing them at a much lower count will barely be noticed, plus im sure wed all rather take performance over looks anyway.
    LOBOTRONUS likes this.
  7. Duximus Duximus Steam Early Access

Hopefully, passionate players would redesign or make better efficient props for game.
    I do not want to spend too much time on workshop but I will try too if i have to.
    thx for notice.
    BTW nice ork model you have on profile.
  8. Saeritan Saeritan Arkhona Vanguard

I think it's highly unlikely that the tri counts of large objects are behind the performance issues, particularly performance issues that are not FPS issues.
    Jimmy_Neutron, Katitof and LOBOTRONUS like this.
  9. While the occasional "grand Gothic cathedral" and other similar Gothic inspired structures at a regional capital, at a fortress monastery or in a huge capital city are totally fine and fitting for a 40K setting, most smaller Imperial installation structures have lots of "prefab", plain looking slabs of rockcrete and/or prefab walls that are not ornate or decorative. Entire Imperial installations can be pre built, pre assembled to some degree and loaded onto mostrous sized Mechanicus starships or built aboard Mechanicus factory ships then set down on a planet by the Mechanicus in huge preconstructed sections of rockcrete and plasteel.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

So instead of seeing a lot of this in world(see below)
    [​IMG]

We could see more of the types of structures as seen below and as seen in the Space Marine game screenies at the very top of my reply.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  10. Duximus Duximus Steam Early Access

Unreal engine use tri polycounts, I think u missed that
    techincally most game engine are tri polycounts
    its all about normal mapping to keep details in low poly
    texturing is hard indeed :/
    Jimmy_Neutron and LOBOTRONUS like this.