Background Image

The Rarity Of Sorcerers

Discussion in 'Chaos Space Marines' started by Runihura, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Runihura Runihura Subordinate

I can't help but be worried when looking at post around here. Many are talking about the sorcerer as a class. But everyone and their mother would be one, which in the lore is not case and would be distracting for me. I think sorcerers should be very rare with a wide variety of powers that just one or two can change a battle.

Your thoughts?
  2. Sorcerer's should be available in due time not straight away we must bind our time brother
  3. Demetri Dominov Demetri_Dominov Arkhona Vanguard

It's probably a "Hero Class" that's earned. Much in the same way a SM Chaplin will be.
    DocButcher and Sorcerer_raptora like this.
  4. Sorantam SpiritofRock Subordinate

That's exactly the way I'd like it to go, too. The same rules should apply across the board since nearly every faction has an equivalent unit to a Sorceror, the kind of unit that can turn the tides single-handedly with some crazy destruction, summons or buffs. The question is how to keep that rarity and power. There could be a few ways;

• Some kind of voting/merit system that would give you the option to choose a Sorceror loadout for your character, or refuse and pass it to someone else. This would be applied on a weekly basis, so if you do well you can gain access to some crazy powers. It wouldn't really suit the lore for your die-hard raptor to suddenly become a Warp-sponsored WMD, but it's some kind of system. Maybe put a limit on the number of consecutive weeks you can be a high-tier unit so other people get to have a go. I know they're discussing a similar system in regards to voting for faction Heroes, but I think that system should elect one person to become extremely, extremely powerful, perhaps temporarily blessed by one or all of the Chaos gods, whereas other higher tier units like Sorcerors aren't that rare.
    • Give an excruciatingly painstaking and long quest chain to become a Sorceror. You might have to roll a new character at the beginning of each campaign, and completing the quest might take a very long time so you're only really a factor after a considerable amount of time has passed. This would probably put a lot of people off because up until the point where you have gained enough knowledge/favour to be useful you're kind of dead weight compared to the other marines.
    • Let me be the only Chaos sorceror, and everyone else can take a hike.
    Idea 3 is my favourite personally.
    DocButcher likes this.
  5. I must agree with Mr Deneri on this, If you just let the players straight access to the Chaos Sorcerer, what's the point in having the other classes like Cultists and Chaos Space Marines to begin with. No I would say that power to be earn't. like all Chaotic Ruinous powers
    Sorcerer_raptora likes this.
  6. Agreed brother
  7. Runihura Runihura Subordinate

I will take option two. I thought that already but wanted someone else to say it.
  8. DoWIIAtlas Subordinate

No lore buff, but I think Sorcerers usually have a cabal of Thrall Wizards with them right?

Maybe Sorcerors can be the "Prestige" class or faction resource while the more mass deployed one could be the Thralls.
    Sorcerer_raptora likes this.
  9. 3278522-250px-all_is_dust_by_majesticchicken.jpg Ahriman a sorcerer among sorcerers. I believe any1 should be able to play a sorcerer due to the fact the eldar already have magic when they start off but there should be a system for them like a healer/damage class to make it fare or something like that.
  10. KillSlim KillSlim Prefectus

The resource system has been vaguely discussed by Miguel Caron, and it describes requisitioning special units, and that if you waste that unit you will have lost a lot of requisition points. The details were not specified, but as Sorcerers have not been talked about as a primary class (It would be stupid if they were, they are HQ units after all), we can say that they will be requisitioned.