Background Image

The powersword.

Discussion in 'Chaos Space Marines' started by TheLightGamer, Mar 12, 2017.

1. TheLightGamer Subordinate

2. Judasilfarion Silfarion Drill Abbott

dont use mastercrafted melee weapons unless they get buffed
    otherwise use it like any other melee weapon
  3. Threule Threule1994 Firebrand

Just think when your enemy will do the stun, and do it before the enemy does.
    Just like all the weapons, not that hard
  4. TheLightGamer Subordinate

It is just the normal power sword
  5. Khornatian Khornatian Steam Early Access

The general pattern when engaging enemy tactical equivalents:

Many tacticals will respond by d-bashing after having a light attack hit them for the first time, most often after hitting them once with a light attack you can comfortably proceed to launch a strong-attack. In short: Light attack ---> Heavy attack ---> Light attack

More experienced tacticals will respond by launching a light attack after you hit them once, as they anticipate that you will launch a heavy attack. Afterwards, they will launch a d-bash to render themselves safe from your retaliation. Against those, it is advised to open up the engagement with 2 light-attacks, followed immediately by a heavy attack, though it takes some practice to distinguish the two variants. In short: Light attack ---> Light attack ---> Heavy attack ---> Light attack

Always remember that if you get d-bashed (I recommend learning the animations of all factions in the garrisons), you can still roll out and retaliate with a quick attack out of the roll.

It is generally better to open up engagements with a sprint-attack (lightly tap the melee-button while sprinting), as sprint-attacks are quick and block/disable d-bashes once and cause enemy durability-loss if they clang.
    NOTE: While the evade-attack (light attack out of roll) may share the same animation as the sprint-attack, it does not share the same d-bash-disabling quality.

Against higher-tiered weapons such as axes or maces things can become a bit more dangerous. Your first instinct might be to launch a d-bash, but experienced axe-users will often anticipate that and counter with a pre-launched heavy attack after they opened the engagement with a light attack (axe/mace users are very aggressive when meeting sword-users, as they seek to break your weapon). This is not an engagement in favor of the sword-user, though the tides can be quickly turned if the sword-user lands just one successful d-bash, which the axe-user will be extremely wary of.

If you are confident in their pattern, it is recommended to open the engagement with careful pistol fire into a d-bash to immediately catch their first light-attack while anticipating their own defensive roll. You can cancel your own d-bash with a roll if you see them evade, try to land more pistol shots if you can, otherwise launch 2 light attacks in quick succession, the first to block his evade-attack, the second to interrupt a heavy-attack. If both clang without interrupting a heavy attack of his, you will have lost a bunch of durability and be required to gamble on a d-bash. or attempt another roll to get more pistol shots in.

All of this sounds horribly complicated, most of it will naturally come to you with time. Melee is not quite as brainless as a certain number of players would like to believe it is, in its current form it relies on a lot of predictions based on patterns of different classes and weapon-users.
  6. Antheus Fiendly Confessor

If you want to play with powerswords maybe this can interest you to watch some tricks, I think it is pretty much illustrating the patterns Khornatian described above :

But as it seems you're playing Chaos, maybe this one can interest you more, though it's not powersword gameplay, but the tricks remain the same :
  7. Is the music for the raptor video from Doom?
  8. Antheus Fiendly Confessor

Yes the second music in Raptor video is "Rip and Tear" from DOOM OST :D

But even in the JPA video, the second music is from DOOM OST, I just like these tracks hehe
    Oliverius and Deathwish like this.
  9. T
    Thanks for the raptor video man, after watching it, it taught me some new tricks. I did pretty good tonight imo, even tho csm was on a losing streak tonight.
    Fiendly likes this.
  10. Antheus ain't you that Vet Raptor I was shooting in the head the whole game with my stalker and you didn't take a bit of damage?